HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Macbook Air - Best & Most Compatible External Display

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Macbook Air - Best & Most Compatible External Display

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Mac as I've been a windows user all my life but decided to take the switch, listening to all the positive reviews by my friends and family members alike. So, I'll be getting my first MacBook Air 13" today and I'm pretty darned excited about it.

The problem I have is that for my scope of work, a 13" laptop would be too small for my daily needs and instead of having a separate CPU at home.. I was thinking of getting an external display and linking it up with my MBA. However, the 27" Apple Thunderbolt display is a little out of my budget and well.. a little too big for my comfort.

I'm not really good with computer configurations but I just wanted to ask you guys if there were any good external monitors (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc) that you would recommend for a MBA. I'm looking at getting a 20" or so external monitor but am just worried about it's compatibility with a Macbook.

Thanks again in advance and I really appreciate all the help guys
The Rain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #2

Any monitor that supports DVI/VGA/HDMI/Displayport, can be used for the MBA. What's your budget first?
LeonaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

Any monitor that supports DVI/VGA/HDMI/Displayport, can be used for the MBA. What's your budget first?
Any particular brands that are affordable and durable? I'm looking to get something below $200 if possible!
Old 17-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Dell U2312H Ultrasharp
budiman10 likes this.
Old 17-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #5

firstly, you will need a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter before we can plug in a HDMI monitor to the MBA. most important piece of accessory there is to the whole setup.
B772ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

Will there be any lag when we use the Dell U2312H Ultra sharp display?
liquidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Will there be any lag when we use the Dell U2312H Ultra sharp display?
No lag but you need to have thunderbolt-hdmi/dvi/dp connector.
Kikstyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

Dell U2312H Ultrasharp
I read up about this and it looks fantastic for the price. Most stores are even offering a 5 year warranty for it, so I'm definitely going to get this today. Many thanks for the suggestion cause I was considering Lenovo or Samsung and would've never thought of looking at Dell.

Which adaptor should I get to get this running?
Old 18-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #9

Read that Dell U2312H Ultra sharp does not have HDMI output.. So have to use DisplayPort adaptor. Also the screen is not as sharp due to the anti glare film on the display.
liquidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

Read that Dell U2312H Ultra sharp does not have HDMI output.. So have to use DisplayPort adaptor. Also the screen is not as sharp due to the anti glare film on the display.
I just bought the Dell U2312H from Best Denki today. It cost $299 but comes with a 5 year on-site warranty! But at the same time, I had to purchase the DVI adaptor for Macbook Air which cost $38 as well.

In my opinion, the 5 year on-site warranty was the attention grabber.
Old 18-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Master Member

Why not simply buy a HDMi to mini-display cable? Think those aren't too expensive.

That said, some external displays may not produce the colours properly when hooked up to a macbook via the HDMI connection. The reason for this is due to the lack of a proper RGB config in the display settings.

If you think your screen's colours look washed out and faded, try this solution. At least, it worked for me (I use a Samsung monitor at home).

Force RGB mode in Mac OS X to fix the picture quality of an external monitor | i reckon
Old 19-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #12

using a Dell U2312HM via a Mini-DP to VGA adaptor. Looking good!
JustAnotherTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #13

using a Dell U2312HM via a Mini-DP to VGA adaptor. Looking good!
Some people recommended me to get the Mini-DP to DVI adaptor instead of the VGA. Any idea which would result in better performance?
Old 19-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #14

Some people recommended me to get the Mini-DP to DVI adaptor instead of the VGA. Any idea which would result in better performance?

the DVI adaptor is better. alternatively u can get a mini dp to dp adaptor. I got one for ~12 $ from ebay. working fine for last 2 years
Old 19-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #15

save yourself agony, get the thunderbolt display. other brands will give you issues when your macbook air sleeps, screen locks, disconnect display cable and reconnect again etc. And Apple will push the blame to the Monitor manufacturer, and Monitor manufacturer will push the blame to Apple.
micarforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.