HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Macbook Pro 16 Inch officially released

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #301

Hey all, another Student here...
I'm seriously considering getting the 16" MBP now.

But if I get it, bootcamp must function just as well as a typical windows 10 laptop.
This is because my school is predominately a windows-only environment. (Most softwares of my course are exclusive to windows only)

I can't get a windows laptop as my photography/filmmaking hobby heavily relies on Mac OS. (Photoshop + FCPX user)

So, have anyone tried bootcamp before? I heard that the dedicated Radeon Graphics is forever switched-on, hence draining the battery significantly faster compared to Mac OS. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Icterine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #302
High Supremacy Member

You might want to use a VM like Parallels instead of running Bootcamp.
Old 23-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #303
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just got hands on the 16 inch MacBook Pro at i Studio just now

I used the 13 inch compare to 16 inch like no difference
The keyboard feels like the same as 13 inch just ticker that’s all.
Old 23-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #304

You might want to use a VM like Parallels instead of running Bootcamp.
VM will struggle as the windows programs I use are CPU + GPU intensive.
(eg. 3D Modelling with 3DS Max & Revit)

Btw, these Radeon 5000M series graphics work way better than the GTX1650s that are found on most windows laptops.
They're very much optimised for workstation use.
That's why I'm so inclined to go for Macs even though they're not windows native devices.

Last edited by Icterine; 23-11-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Old 23-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #305
hg2
Master Member

So, have anyone tried bootcamp before? I heard that the dedicated Radeon Graphics is forever switched-on, hence draining the battery significantly faster compared to Mac OS. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
I find VM too laggy for me... bootcamp is my preference.

Running bootcamp has it pros and cons.
Macbook pro is a very solid hardware, so far never have a BSOD. Compared to my other new i9 Lenovo which BSOD at least once a day.
The downside, it runs hot and the fan spin-up very quickly even on light loads. Guess its the combination of win 10 and driver issues (e.g, unable to turn off the GFX when idling). Now matter how it drains the battery, it still outlast the lenovo. The retina screen is the sharpest and best color accurate one...
Till today, in my opinion MBP is the best non-gaming win10 laptop money can buy (ignoring the lack of ports, and weight)...But if you just run MS office, its an overkill and waste of $$$.
hg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #306

I find VM too laggy for me... bootcamp is my preference.

Running bootcamp has it pros and cons.
Macbook pro is a very solid hardware, so far never have a BSOD. Compared to my other new i9 Lenovo which BSOD at least once a day.
The downside, it runs hot and the fan spin-up very quickly even on light loads. Guess its the combination of win 10 and driver issues (e.g, unable to turn off the GFX when idling). Now matter how it drains the battery, it still outlast the lenovo. The retina screen is the sharpest and best color accurate one...
Till today, in my opinion MBP is the best non-gaming win10 laptop money can buy (ignoring the lack of ports, and weight)...But if you just run MS office, its an overkill and waste of $$$.
Interesting... May I know what's battery life like for both the Lenovo and MBP? (When the MBP is in bootcamp mode of course)

Also, is your MBP a 15" model with discrete graphics?
Old 23-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #307

Just got hands on the 16 inch MacBook Pro at i Studio just now

I used the 13 inch compare to 16 inch like no difference
The keyboard feels like the same as 13 inch just ticker thatís all.
I agree on the keyboard. I currently use Magic Keyboard 2 from my 5K iMac. The 16" MBP ones still lack the key travel of the 5K iMac ones. In short, they're deeper than the 2016 MBP but shallower than the 5K iMac.

Still a little uncomfortable IMO.

Oh, one thing to note is that the 16" screen is 100 nits dimmer than it's predecessor. (Approx 410nits) So false marketing there from Apple.
Old 23-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #308

For those who have purchased the 16" MBP:

Are they Malaysian sets? You can check it out on the outer box packaging. My previous purchase from Apple.sg was a Malaysian one. So I thought if those in the stores are SG ones, it"ll be better to pick it up than to get it delivered.

I'm asking this cuz I need a valid 1 year SG warranty. (Won't be purchasing AC+ as it's not worth it)
Old 23-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #309
Arch-Supremacy Member

If they can bring back the keyboard from MacBook Pro with Retina display that will be good. I still using the 13” MacBook Pro with Retina Display from 2013 and still loving it

That is still the best MacBook Pro keyboard I have ever used

I agree on the keyboard. I currently use Magic Keyboard 2 from my 5K iMac. The 16" MBP ones still lack the key travel of the 5K iMac ones. In short, they're deeper than the 2016 MBP but shallower than the 5K iMac.

Still a little uncomfortable IMO.

Oh, one thing to note is that the 16" screen is 100 nits dimmer than it's predecessor. (Approx 410nits) So false marketing there from Apple.
Old 23-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #310

have you considered XPS 15? Or XPS 13 for u prefer a small form factor

Hey all, another Student here...
I'm seriously considering getting the 16" MBP now.

But if I get it, bootcamp must function just as well as a typical windows 10 laptop.
This is because my school is predominately a windows-only environment. (Most softwares of my course are exclusive to windows only)

I can't get a windows laptop as my photography/filmmaking hobby heavily relies on Mac OS. (Photoshop + FCPX user)

lunarsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #311
High Supremacy Member

Are they Malaysian sets? You can check it out on the outer box packaging. My previous purchase from Apple.sg was a Malaysian one. So I thought if those in the stores are SG ones, it"ll be better to pick it up than to get it delivered.

I'm asking this cuz I need a valid 1 year SG warranty. (Won't be purchasing AC+ as it's not worth it)
What Malaysian set? Don’t get it.
Old 23-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #312

Pretty sure Malaysian sets also can get it serviced in Singapore
ksksksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #313

It just happen so MY and SG are sharing the same model configurations (plugs and etc) and thus, the same packaging, for both countries.

So don’t have to worry if AppleCare doesn’t cover. It does cover in SG (and internationally too).
tec_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #314
Supremacy Member

I think you might not have known. Even a US set can be service in Singapore. SG and Malaysia set shared the same model number so doesn’t matter if it’s Singapore or Malaysia set. Both are the same.

And for the screen brightness, you are wrong. In fact, the screen this year is lightly brighter than last year model.
Old 23-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #315
hg2
Master Member

If they can bring back the keyboard from MacBook Pro with Retina display that will be good. I still using the 13” MacBook Pro with Retina Display from 2013 and still loving it

That is still the best MacBook Pro keyboard I have ever used
Its as good as asking apple to remove the touchbar, or adding a sdcard reader ;-)

Passby an apple shop near my house, test drive the 16" MBP keyboard seems more "firm" then previous version, but still mallow compared to the best in class keyboard from lenovo. Most important the ESC key is back.... 5.5k with applecare... No hurry, maybe will get one after christmas...just maybe...

Last edited by hg2; 23-11-2019 at 11:05 PM..
hg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.