HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Macbook vs Macbook Air

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #31
Master Member

So minimum is the one with Radeon pro

Thanks
The integrated Intel iris works too, just slower compared to the Radeon Pro.
dreamer_toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #32
EJB
High Supremacy Member

No issues getting usb-c adapter when generic ones are available from Lazada at around 10-15 bucks.. unless u wanna buy those geeky ones that cost a hundred bucks or so

MBA is reaching planned obsolescence with no new technologies or Retina screen being added in. Hardly advisable to get in 2018.
Got mine from taobao... cheap cheap, buy 2, 1 free, 50c each only.
Old 16-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #33
Supremacy Member

MacBook is better, especially the display and track pad. TN panel is a big no-no.
Audiology93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #34

I have both... bought the MBA in 2013, and MB12 in 2017. Like you I use mine mainly for Photoshop and Lightroom, My take is: just get the MB12.

MB12: sleeker, equally powerful as the MBA. Much better screen. Keyboard takes a while to get used to but that is no big deal. single USB-C port is not an issue as you can always buy adapters and keep one in your bag.

MBA: other than the full size USB ports... and I do miss the charging indicator on the charging port.
yrh0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #35

MBA has no Retina display. In 2018, this is certainly a deal breaker.
hereiam7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #36

I have both... bought the MBA in 2013, and MB12 in 2017. Like you I use mine mainly for Photoshop and Lightroom, My take is: just get the MB12.

MB12: sleeker, equally powerful as the MBA. Much better screen. Keyboard takes a while to get used to but that is no big deal. single USB-C port is not an issue as you can always buy adapters and keep one in your bag.

MBA: other than the full size USB ports... and I do miss the charging indicator on the charging port.
Both should be eliminated. Get the non touchbar MacBook Pro is better.
Old 18-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #37

To each their own. Using MacBook for more than a year now, and I am not used to the keyboard on my wife's MBA now.

And when I need to charge my MB, I can use a power bank to charge it.
Yes, u are rite, despite the complaints (mostly from ppl who did by experience long enough or own one), the new butterfly keyboard is certainly better than the old one. I cannot switch back to old one.
Old 18-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #38

Most people will still need to get adapers to convert from usb c to usb.

MBA has a thunderbolt 2 port, which you can get an adapter to expand to more usb ports/ethernet on top of 2 usb ports + SD slot. Keyboard is also better.

Most importantly, MBA still uses MagSafe adapter. This feature saved my MBA a few times when my toddler nephew liked to suddenly ran to the wire and started pulling for no reason.
Old ports can convert to some other old ports via adapter but mostly it is from one port to one port or one port to limited no of ports. USB-C especially gen 2 one, one port with a comprehensive adapter can allow a machine to acquire many many legacy ports.

And it can supply power at the same time or one can even daisy chain the devices using USB-c.

It is a lot more future proof and it has a lot more flexibility.
Old 18-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #39

I used to have MBP but damn heavy then i bought MBA...

2015 and earlier 15-inch is damn heavy at 2kg. The 2016 onwards one is a lot better.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #40

Don't understand how people can stand the 720p resolution and TN panel of the MBA in 2018. Go to any electronics store and you can easily find a 1080p IPS laptop which is much better quality. I'd rather pay more for a Macbook or MBP for the much better screen since that's the thing you'll be staring at all day.
parkson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #41

I never own MB before but I owned both MBA and MBP-TB (both 13")... at this age of time, I recommend just buy the MB if you're using it for light usage otherwise go for non-touch bar MBP.

I'm not sure why people are trying to discourage others about having only 1 usb-c.... 1 port is more than enough. I seldom use my 2nd port this days.. the main port usage is just for power or if ever I use adapter that comes with usb 3.0 and hdmi.

This class of gadget mean to be mobile... portability is the key otherwise if you want gazillion ports and other extras go for desktop.
rvyne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #42

Don't understand how people can stand the 720p resolution and TN panel of the MBA in 2018. Go to any electronics store and you can easily find a 1080p IPS laptop which is much better quality. I'd rather pay more for a Macbook or MBP for the much better screen since that's the thing you'll be staring at all day.
I actually like everything about MBA except its already dated designed.. weight, screen , specs, colors and etc can't compete this days if they bump just the specs even without upgrading the screen I might still buy it than getting iPad pro.
rvyne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.