Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on potential purchase of MacBook Air

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #16

Nope didnt kena.
manofsorrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #17

Did you guys purchase recently? I have two friends who tried to buy this week and both got email to produce student proof. I think their purchase process for edu pricing might have changed. No more random audit.
How many did they purchase? There are limits on how many items you can buy per eligible person (e.g. 2 iPad, 1 Mac) and if you exceed, they may trigger an audit. With all the reseller trying to get free airpods they may be increasing the number of audits.

Or maybe just suay
One unit only. Just own use and trying to take advantage of the educational pricing. Likely due to the free AirPod, they are auditing everyone. I also recall they are not so strict in the past.

Looks like 2 possibilities.

1) It's random, and it's a coincidence that both persons kenna at the same time.

2) They changed the 'random' audit policy to 'everyone' but is not reflected in their T&C. After all, auditing 99/100 buyers can be considered as random.
Shutterfly likes this.
Byfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #18

Hi Folks, I have a few questions on file system.

I've been a Windows user for my life, so I heard that there are file system compatibility issues between MacOS and Windows.

Can I

1) Plug in any NTFS Formatted external HDD and transfer files to and from the Mac?

2) Many years ago I heard Apple only uses the FAT32 file system. Is it still true to this day? Can I store a 25GB video file in the MacOS and play the video normally?

3) As for MicroSD cards, does MacOS support exFAT format? Can I transfer photos from my MicroSD card from my Android phone into MacOS? (via a MicroSD Card reader of course)
Old 16-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #19

Hi Folks, I have a few questions on file system.

I've been a Windows user for my life, so I heard that there are file system compatibility issues between MacOS and Windows.

Can I

1) Plug in any NTFS Formatted external HDD and transfer files to and from the Mac?

2) Many years ago I heard Apple only uses the FAT32 file system. Is it still true to this day? Can I store a 25GB video file in the MacOS and play the video normally?

3) As for MicroSD cards, does MacOS support exFAT format? Can I transfer photos from my MicroSD card from my Android phone into MacOS? (via a MicroSD Card reader of course)
exFAT works just fine on mac and the OS uses APFS/HFS+.

For NTFS you can read but cannot write to it unless you get a 3rd party driver IIRC.
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Byfrost likes this.
-Grift- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #20
Master Member

Looks like 2 possibilities.

1) It's random, and it's a coincidence that both persons kenna at the same time.

2) They changed the 'random' audit policy to 'everyone' but is not reflected in their T&C. After all, auditing 99/100 buyers can be considered as random.
They probably have more time to do audit now since many people could be WFH so can assign them to some checks.
Shutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #21

exFAT works just fine on mac and the OS uses APFS/HFS+.

For NTFS you can read but cannot write to it unless you get a 3rd party driver IIRC.
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Can read but, can I copy my files over to my mac?

Also can I copy a 25GB video file (as an example) to my mac and play it normally?
Old 17-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #22

Can read but, can I copy my files over to my mac?

Also can I copy a 25GB video file (as an example) to my mac and play it normally?
Copy from NTFS drive to macOS and playing the file yes
Byfrost likes this.
Old 17-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #23

Thanks for the information folks. Looks like I'll be getting the MacBook air! But likely to wait for Apple Silicon version to be out, since rumors are spreading around that it may arrive Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.
Shutterfly and -Grift- like this.
Old 17-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #24
Master Member

Thanks for the information folks. Looks like I'll be getting the MacBook air! But likely to wait for Apple Silicon version to be out, since rumors are spreading around that it may arrive Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.
You have to take into consideration the kind of apps you need on the Mac. Many third party apps like Dropbox may not run on day 1. Windows not supported as well except through virtualisation.
-Grift- likes this.
Shutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #25

You have to take into consideration the kind of apps you need on the Mac. Many third party apps like Dropbox may not run on day 1. Windows not supported as well except through virtualisation.
^ consider the above. No guarantees that whatever I mentioned will still be the case when the transition happens.
Byfrost likes this.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #26

^ consider the above. No guarantees that whatever I mentioned will still be the case when the transition happens.
Thanks for the heads up!

The Macbook air will be a super casual use laptop. Spotify, Netflix, Facebook, Instagram, browsing various other forums, Youtube, WhatsApp, Skype/Zoom kinda of use. Nothing extreme. I understand that Bootcamp will be out, but that's not an issue as I already have a proper gaming Windows gaming Setup.

This is a "I am lazy to get out of bed device" as my gaming PC is quite a distance from my bed. I'm contemplating to get a iPad but decided against it and go for a laptop instead (because I used before iOS but never use before MacOS).
Old 19-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

Thanks for the heads up!

The Macbook air will be a super casual use laptop. Spotify, Netflix, Facebook, Instagram, browsing various other forums, Youtube, WhatsApp, Skype/Zoom kinda of use. Nothing extreme. I understand that Bootcamp will be out, but that's not an issue as I already have a proper gaming Windows gaming Setup.

This is a "I am lazy to get out of bed device" as my gaming PC is quite a distance from my bed. I'm contemplating to get a iPad but decided against it and go for a laptop instead (because I used before iOS but never use before MacOS).
Actually iPad is a better device as an "I am lazy to get out of bed device".

Still it is good to try macOS.

After using Mac Mini 2011 from late 2011- early 2018, I will say macOS is great. I actually ran various Windows, Linux and other OS VMs on top of it.

Now I am not really using a PC at home (the only Windows laptop is mainly used by wife and kids). But I may go and buy the new ARM based Mac Mini in the future when it comes out.
Shutterfly and Byfrost like this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 19-07-2020 at 09:09 AM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.