HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Repair 2013 Macbook Air or Buy new Macbook Air

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #1

Repair 2013 Macbook Air or Buy new Macbook Air

Hi everyone - happy CNY.

Need some opinion on whether I should spend $280 to replace my crashed 256gb 2013 Macbook Air SSD with a 128gb SSD... (or possibly $400ish for 256gb SSD) and $80 to replace the battery... or just buy a new macbook air...

damn unlucky my MBA crashed on CNY eve. now gotta think about replacing or repairing. repair prices are quoted from sim lim square...
daniel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #2

At those quoted repair prices for a 2013 device, i'd rather you skip that and do either of the following below. SSDs do not cost this much these days, and you really are paying for the servicing. Additionally, a 2013 MBA isn't going to be kept up to date (in terms of OS and security features) much longer.

1. if you are really strapped for cash, try searching for a used 2018 MBA on Carousell.
2. the best option short of buying new is buying a 2018/2019 MBA on the Apple Refurbished store. You get an almost brand new device, standard 1 year warranty with a 15% discount.
elendil5259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

At those quoted repair prices for a 2013 device, i'd rather you skip that and do either of the following below. SSDs do not cost this much these days, and you really are paying for the servicing. Additionally, a 2013 MBA isn't going to be kept up to date (in terms of OS and security features) much longer.

1. if you are really strapped for cash, try searching for a used 2018 MBA on Carousell.
2. the best option short of buying new is buying a 2018/2019 MBA on the Apple Refurbished store. You get an almost brand new device, standard 1 year warranty with a 15% discount.
hihi thanks for your input/thoughts.

tbh, i'm not really strapped for cash. just thinking what is the best / most practical decision to make here. i'm actually very happy my MBA 2013 lasted me so long (6.5 years) including very heavy duty usage for the first 4.5 years (university and post-university course).

thanks especially for the perspective on the costs of SSDs, etc. i also don't want to get it "repaired" only for other parts to fail / it go kaput sometime within the next few months or even the next year....

are there any major concerns/flaws/drawbacks the 2018 / 2019 models?

also whats the best way to buy a brand new MBA? buy from the apple website? any significant benefits in waiting for like IT fairs, etc.?

thanks again!!
Old 24-01-2020, 11:24 PM   #4

hihi thanks for your input/thoughts.

tbh, i'm not really strapped for cash. just thinking what is the best / most practical decision to make here. i'm actually very happy my MBA 2013 lasted me so long (6.5 years) including very heavy duty usage for the first 4.5 years (university and post-university course).

thanks especially for the perspective on the costs of SSDs, etc. i also don't want to get it "repaired" only for other parts to fail / it go kaput sometime within the next few months or even the next year....

are there any major concerns/flaws/drawbacks the 2018 / 2019 models?

also whats the best way to buy a brand new MBA? buy from the apple website? any significant benefits in waiting for like IT fairs, etc.?

thanks again!!
The key problem you may face is with the butterfly keyboards on the 2018/2019 MBA. No official statistics on the failure rate from Apple but it is a known problem. The 2019 has a slightly modified keyboard that was supposed to fix the problem but YMMV. Either the 2018 or 2019 will be covered under the Apple Keyboard Repair program for free for up to 4 years (https://support.apple.com/en-sg/keyb...-mac-notebooks) so there's still some safety net.

Otherwise, if you were happy with the performance of your old MBA, you'll be perfectly happy with the upgrades on the new MBA. Good enough to run everyday productivity tasks. If you have a bit more cash and are thinking of running more intensive tasks (Lightroom RAW editing, 4k video editing, coding etc), then the base Macbook Pro 2019 model will be great.

Best price you will get is from the Apple Refurbished Online Store (https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/refurbished/mac), that will give you a 15% discount off the retail price and the standard 1 year warranty. IT fairs are not worth the trip for Apple products (in my opinion); you hardly get a discount and the freebies are cheap products that are almost always useless.
Old 25-01-2020, 01:39 AM   #5

The key problem you may face is with the butterfly keyboards on the 2018/2019 MBA. No official statistics on the failure rate from Apple but it is a known problem. The 2019 has a slightly modified keyboard that was supposed to fix the problem but YMMV. Either the 2018 or 2019 will be covered under the Apple Keyboard Repair program for free for up to 4 years (https://support.apple.com/en-sg/keyb...-mac-notebooks) so there's still some safety net.

Otherwise, if you were happy with the performance of your old MBA, you'll be perfectly happy with the upgrades on the new MBA. Good enough to run everyday productivity tasks. If you have a bit more cash and are thinking of running more intensive tasks (Lightroom RAW editing, 4k video editing, coding etc), then the base Macbook Pro 2019 model will be great.

Best price you will get is from the Apple Refurbished Online Store (https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/refurbished/mac), that will give you a 15% discount off the retail price and the standard 1 year warranty. IT fairs are not worth the trip for Apple products (in my opinion); you hardly get a discount and the freebies are cheap products that are almost always useless.
mm thanks again!

what exactly are the refurbished laptops? returned by previous consumers for certain issues/problems and subsequently fixed/repaired by Apple? any issues to expect from buying the refurbished models?

if not getting the refurbished models, any advantage in going to the physical store to get as compared to ordering online and collecting from the physical store?

i've been looking at comparisons between the air 2019 and pro 2019 and i dun really use it much apart from watching videos, maybe working on simple word docs etc. and maybe listening to music. (i.e. no video/photo editting and other cpu-intensive stuff). so i suppose not so critical for me to get the pro...
Old 25-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #6

mm thanks again!

what exactly are the refurbished laptops? returned by previous consumers for certain issues/problems and subsequently fixed/repaired by Apple? any issues to expect from buying the refurbished models?

if not getting the refurbished models, any advantage in going to the physical store to get as compared to ordering online and collecting from the physical store?

i've been looking at comparisons between the air 2019 and pro 2019 and i dun really use it much apart from watching videos, maybe working on simple word docs etc. and maybe listening to music. (i.e. no video/photo editting and other cpu-intensive stuff). so i suppose not so critical for me to get the pro...
these are products sent in for repairs for a variety of issues, but repaired and given an entirely new outer shell and battery. only the internal components are used. I'd argue that the refurbished products are probably QC-ed better than the brand new ones, and less likely to fail. you still get the standard 1 year warranty, and you can even purchase applecare + if you really want to. so to me, really no difference and well worth the 15% discount.

No advantage in going to the physical store. save yourself the transport fee and avoid the queue by ordering online. delivery is free. if you want the refurbished laptop, you can only order it online.

yup, based on your use case, the MBA 2018/2019 more than suffices.
Old 26-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

these are products sent in for repairs for a variety of issues, but repaired and given an entirely new outer shell and battery. only the internal components are used. I'd argue that the refurbished products are probably QC-ed better than the brand new ones, and less likely to fail. you still get the standard 1 year warranty, and you can even purchase applecare + if you really want to. so to me, really no difference and well worth the 15% discount.

No advantage in going to the physical store. save yourself the transport fee and avoid the queue by ordering online. delivery is free. if you want the refurbished laptop, you can only order it online.

yup, based on your use case, the MBA 2018/2019 more than suffices.
thanks once again! your replies have been super helpful.

last questions from me:

(1) for apple care plus (348$) that extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 years... is it generally worth the buy? i guess for me, my laptop is mostly used at home for casual browsing etc. so accidental damage should be fairly unlikely. it's just the likelihood that something goes wrong internally in the laptop during the period of 1 year to 3 years.

(2) i suppose since the newer macbooks come with USB-C ports only, i should get some sort of converter/adapter so that i can continue using my normal usb cables, etc.? where is a good place to get such a converter/adapter? it doesn't come with the macbook right?
Old 28-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #8

thanks once again! your replies have been super helpful.

last questions from me:

(1) for apple care plus (348$) that extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 years... is it generally worth the buy? i guess for me, my laptop is mostly used at home for casual browsing etc. so accidental damage should be fairly unlikely. it's just the likelihood that something goes wrong internally in the laptop during the period of 1 year to 3 years.

(2) i suppose since the newer macbooks come with USB-C ports only, i should get some sort of converter/adapter so that i can continue using my normal usb cables, etc.? where is a good place to get such a converter/adapter? it doesn't come with the macbook right?
Unless you are going to be bringing the MacBook Air out often, I wouldn’t bother with AppleCare +. Keyboard failure is already covered by the extended repair program, and internals are generally reliable and shouldn’t spoil easily. Any issues should crop up within the 1st year, unless you run the MacBook Air very heavily.

For type c converters, just get the Ugreen ones on Lazada. Reliable company and cheaper than what you find at places such at Challenger.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #9

The most practical decision to make is to DIY. You can buy the SSD and battery on line. You will save quite a bit.
There are tons of video tutorials to guide you. I had used them to repair/upgrade my white macbook, macbook pro, iMac, iphone and even my cMac Pro.
chaozhouzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #10

Better buy new macbook.
MeSoFancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.