As above... any comment..?
Thinking of buying 2020 Mac Mini...
kakapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Yes upgrading my 2014
Halo green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:03 AM   #3

Not really worth it seriously. The price is as good as buying a equivalent MacBook book Air.
hereiam7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #4

I think it really depends on how you use it.

I used to own a mac mini and it sits great on my desktop. Small and minimalistic. Pair it with a good monitor and you have a great desktop set up without all the clutter. And, it lasted really long. I remember using it for more than 5 years, way past my uni days and I still used it.
icheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

I bought the Macbook Pro in 2018 before the refreshed Mac mini was announced. When the Mac Mini came out, I returned the Macbook Pro to get the 2018 Mac Mini. The Mac Mini is a great form factor and I pair it with an external GPU and 38 inch monitor.

Now I'm thinking of getting a refurbished iPad Pro / Macbook book pro / air for work. Not sure which one yet as i just need portability and i am trying to justify how much time i actually use it for work. I have an office laptop but it runs on windows. iPad is good since i can use it for personal. MAcbook not so since i have a mac mini.

I don't have an official BYOD to work policy but ever since i started working from home because of this COVID-19 thing, I've been using my Mac Mini since all my office documents are on onedrive. I only use my office laptop to access sharepoint and business-critical apps that require a VPN.
comcrepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

I been using a 2014 mini till now. Reliable workhorse if u use it for basic stuff .
Looking to get the new mini to replace my old one

I have a iPad Pro 12.9 gen so if need to be on the move I can rely on that
Halo green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #7

I been using a 2014 mini till now. Reliable workhorse if u use it for basic stuff .
Looking to get the new mini to replace my old one

I have a iPad Pro 12.9 gen so if need to be on the move I can rely on that
Hi, pls pm me your mini specs.. I looking to get an upgraded mac mini.. Thx
sseah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
Master Member

Not really worth it seriously. The price is as good as buying a equivalent MacBook book Air.
The performance is so much better on the Mac Mini.
Shutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #9

As above... any comment..?
Thinking of buying 2020 Mac Mini...
Buy the Mac Mini -

- if you don't need it to be mobile and use it on the desktop most of the time
- if you are running mostly productivity apps (Microsoft Office Suite, Tableau, coding software such as R)
- if you want to dabble occasionally in video editing using Final Cut Pro
- if you want to dabble in casual photo editing using Lightroom

Don't buy the Mac Mini -

- if you move around frequently, but mostly use it for Microsoft Office apps, the Macbook Air OR the Ipad Pro would be great
- if you intend to game, obviously a PC will be the better option. of course, you could get an eGPU setup, but this is not cost effective. and you'll need install Windows via Bootcamp. For the price of an external monitor and eGPU, i'd rather pay for a 27 inch iMac 5k
- if you are a 'heavy user', i.e. edits frequently with large video & photo files

Last edited by elendil5259; 19-05-2020 at 08:44 AM..
elendil5259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

The performance is so much better on the Mac Mini.
Yup definitely. 4 to 6 cores on a desktop class processor definitely outclasses the antiquated dual core on the Macbook Air. You're paying for the Macbook Air's portability.
Old 19-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #11

I bought the Macbook Pro in 2018 before the refreshed Mac mini was announced. When the Mac Mini came out, I returned the Macbook Pro to get the 2018 Mac Mini. The Mac Mini is a great form factor and I pair it with an external GPU and 38 inch monitor.

Now I'm thinking of getting a refurbished iPad Pro / Macbook book pro / air for work. Not sure which one yet as i just need portability and i am trying to justify how much time i actually use it for work. I have an office laptop but it runs on windows. iPad is good since i can use it for personal. MAcbook not so since i have a mac mini.

I don't have an official BYOD to work policy but ever since i started working from home because of this COVID-19 thing, I've been using my Mac Mini since all my office documents are on onedrive. I only use my office laptop to access sharepoint and business-critical apps that require a VPN.
The iPad Pro is great for productivity, but it's not exactly fun using Office apps on it, unless you're mostly using Word/PPT.

Having said that, the new iPadOS with the updated mouse UI & support may enhance the experience in the future.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.