Do you think Apple Watch will dominate?

alanwwm

Reaction score
it sold out in many countries within 6 hrs.
It was designed by Jony Ive.
It is worn by celebrities.
It is fashionable and can mix-and-match with specially made bands.
it looks better than any smart watches currently in the market.

The above just my humble opinions.

Too bad Singapore is not on the 2nd wave list. :(

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Personally, I wouldn't buy one. Was given a Garmin watch, and even though the battery life is 7 days, I haven't quite gotten used to charging a watch regularly.

The Watch will require daily charging much like the phone. I'm not sure I can accept my watch needing that kind of maintenance.

/Dan

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A watch is ultimately a fashion accessory. I find it comical when ppl say the smart watch will fail bcos it can't perform like a phone, screen too small and stuff.

ultimately, ppl spend thousands on mechanical watches tat do even less. so in terms of the smart watches now, Apple's one is probably better designed, works well with iphone, which many are using.

will it dominate all watches? I doubt it. but will it dominate smart watches, I think it will.

speedster4005

Reaction score
2nd wave list out? The more it gets delayed release here in SG, the more I want one hahaha

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apple Watch will be like that iPhone, changing the whole landscape of smart watches. Apple couldn't get a lot of watches out if not the sales will be more outrageous.

Apple is a premium brand and have a certain cult following. The watch will only gets better with more people buying it.

tomasulu

Banned
Reaction score
A little perspective. I wear an automatic watch that requires constant charging, on my wrist. Besides telling time It has some useless stopwatch functions that I never ever use. Other than running it once in a while to make sure that everything works. What I really want is an easy way to know the date (you know, when tearing out parking coupons) without whipping out the phone. But for a mechanical watch, it's tens of thousand of cold hard cash to have that perpetual date complication. So this is the limitation of mechanical watches, they are essentially personal accessory that do little beyond looking pretty. Or I can get something less premium with more utility... Which for reasons I can't explain, and I suspect it has to do with design and aesthetics, I haven't wanted one until the apple watch.

So... What Apple gets is that people (eh guys) don't spend a lot of money on a personal accessory they wear daily because of what they can do with it. That's falling into the Casio trap. But Apple is not selling a fashionable accessory that's without any utility. It's a digital product, It's much much more capable than a mechanical watch... But to sell loads of it, Apple will have to make sure that people desire it, that they'll want to wear it. And not just when they go for a jog. And that's where apples sense of aesthetics, design and premium materials/craftsmanship will make all the difference to the added convenience of a smart watch. Is there a market for functional watches that can be thought of as a personal accessory? I think so and I think Apple has a really good chance to be very successful in filling that void. They can overwhelm the low end luxury watch brands such as tag and zenith with added utility. They'll easily dominate the rest of the dorky smart watches no matter how similar they function. If successive versions of apple watch come with its own gps and break free of its tether to the iPhone, they'll dominate in the sense of replacing the android offerings.

Last edited:

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I wouldnt take much notice of the fact it's sold out in many countries. As u know there are plenty of apple fans who will throw their cash just because its Apple.

Apple Watch Sports and Watch's price points are relatively low enough to be thrown away after a couple years when the battery or the software is EOL-ed. So owners can enjoy the functionality within the Watch for the duration of its lifespan.

For Watch Edition I'm not going to see any serious interests from any parties except rich people who wont bat an eye throwing at least 13k for a short term product. 13k can go toward a Rolex or an IWC which will still continue to function 50 years down the road without concern of outdated OS or dead battery, its accuracy subject to regular maintenance or proper storage.

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't find it being any useful for me.

will more likely to get a sports watch which has GPS to track my running.

tomasulu

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldnt take much notice of the fact it's sold out in many countries. As u know there are plenty of apple fans who will throw their cash just because its Apple.

Apple Watch Sports and Watch's price points are relatively low enough to be thrown away after a couple years when the battery or the software is EOL-ed. So owners can enjoy the functionality within the Watch for the duration of its lifespan.

For Watch Edition I'm not going to see any serious interests from any parties except rich people who wont bat an eye throwing at least 13k for a short term product. 13k can go toward a Rolex or an IWC which will still continue to function 50 years down the road without concern of outdated OS or dead battery, its accuracy subject to regular maintenance or proper storage.

I don't see many 50 year old mechanical watches. And for those that survived very few are worth much. And for many luxury watches maintenance is very very expensive. Each trip to the distributor more than the price of the stainless steel Apple watch.

speedster4005

Reaction score
I don't see many 50 year old mechanical watches. And for those that survived very few are worth much. And for many luxury watches maintenance is very very expensive. Each trip to the distributor more than the price of the stainless steel Apple watch.

Yeah true. Maintenance alone every 3 years is like buying the entry level Apple Watch. ;-)

sevensomerset

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will dominate?
in terms of smart watch market, it already did.
not sure it will be a hit though, smart watch still niche imo.
i wun buy now as well, partly due to no use of it, but if better battery, faster processor... i may get 1.

 product juz somehow was design in a way to make me want to own 1, then try to find excuses to justify its usage.

maxheadroom

Reaction score

If you want to see the old collection on sales thoes 50 years and above watch, you can go fareast 1st floor. There is a shop that sell limited edition, and second hand watch.

I personally like the ORIS plain design automatic watch.

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's pretty subjective. I'd prefer a round watch any day. (Waves a moto360)

I am sure the 2nd generation apple watch will be round. And they will come up with with a creative name like Apple Watch Round or something. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.