HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

G750JX Cheap display, horizontal lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

G750JX Cheap display, horizontal lines

I recently purchased a G750JX laptop from Challenger and have been quite happy with the performance and specs. However, I have one MAJOR issue with the display. There are some very visible horizontal lines on some dark colors. It is most evident on dark shades of gray.

I took a physical picture of this issue here:

You will notice that the horizontal lines only appear on the dark shades of gray such as the hood and cloak.

I have done a lot of research about the issue recently and found that a lot of other people are experiencing the issue as well. There are a few threads on the official Asus RoG forums discussing the issue here:

Bad displays, horizontal lines issue
Lines across the screen. [solved???]

It has been narrowed down to the built-in display "Chi Mei 173HGE". I used HWINFO64 to determine the make of the display. The horizontal lines are not present when connecting an external display to the laptop which rules out the possibility of this being a GPU/driver/software issue.

Monitor Details:

I am pretty disappointed that the screen on this laptop turned out to be very cheap. It's not until you play games with low lighting like Skyrim that you will see the issue. I have gone to several different branches of Challenger that has the G750JX on display and have confirmed that the ones on the showroom floor have this issue as well. Everyone can have a look for themselves too. Just go to the NVIDIA control panel, go to "Adjust desktop color settings", and try to lower the gamma settings so that the black parts of the wallpaper become a bit darker. At some point, the horizontal lines will appear.

What I would like to find out is if all G750JX models sold in Singapore use the "Chi Mei 173HGE" as the display? If so, can I get my display upgraded to a different type at a certified service center without voiding the warranty? Am I just an unlucky customer that got a "bad batch" of LCD displays? I am willing to shell out a bit more cash to upgrade the display that does not have this horizontal lines issue. I would appreciate if an Asus representative can respond to my inquiries. Other than the issues with the display I really like the laptop.

Last edited by TekNiko; 09-08-2013 at 08:43 PM..
TekNiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

How do you resolved the issue with the LCD?
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

How about desktop mode?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.