1st timer Australia road trip in August

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 different cars at both melb n tas.

For my melb GOR 6d5n can cover both sides include one night Philip island?

More than enough, 3 days GOR, 1 day Melb, 1 day P.island.

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A little confused by your post.
You mean 6D5N to cover Melbourne, GOR, and Phillip Island?
What "both sides"? Do you mean heading out west as far as Port Fairy, and as far east as Phillip Island? If my assumption is correct, then it is do-able but doesn't leave you much time in Melbourne :)

Yes bro both west and east. I plan to skip melb lol

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
13 days of driving... that's going to be hard work. The way I see it at the moment is that you'll be driving at least an hour or 2 every day, with a couple of flights in the middle of all that. I think you would do well to make some small changes to the itinerary and have a full day (or 2) where you don't touch the car at all.

The 2 nights at mt buller will not be driving :)

kevin301

Reaction score
Yes bro both west and east. I plan to skip melb lol

Ha :) OK!
But Melbourne is a very nice city. I think it was voted World's most liveable city recently. Certainly worth a visit, unless you've been before.
I like the vibe there, even though I am biased toward Sydney.

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ha :) OK!
But Melbourne is a very nice city. I think it was voted World's most liveable city recently. Certainly worth a visit, unless you've been before.
I like the vibe there, even though I am biased toward Sydney.

I am just afraid of it's too packed to cover GOR/melb/Philip island

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Anyone has sample itinery for Tasmania?

For how many days? I don't really have a sample one myself, although I would build it based on a few days in/around Hobart (in the city, Huon Valley, Bruny Island, may be Port Arthur), plus a few days in/around Launceston (including the Cradle Mountain which isn't too far away), and also a few days to go along the east coast (Freycinet Bay, etc). If you love nature, it's enough to keep you occupied for more than a week.

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For how many days? I don't really have a sample one myself, although I would build it based on a few days in/around Hobart (in the city, Huon Valley, Bruny Island, may be Port Arthur), plus a few days in/around Launceston (including the Cradle Mountain which isn't too far away), and also a few days to go along the east coast (Freycinet Bay, etc). If you love nature, it's enough to keep you occupied for more than a week.

I have about 8 days now looking at ththe sample itinery in the official tas/au tourism website.

Thinking if I can explore the west as well?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
I have about 8 days now looking at ththe sample itinery in the official tas/au tourism website.

Thinking if I can explore the west as well?

Fitting in the west as well in 8 days would be very rushed, and it's mostly wilderness out that way. I haven't been there before, but areas such as Lake St Claire and Franklin and Gordon rivers are really lovely places. I normally suggest first time visitors to take in the more accessible east coast first as it's easier and not too isolated/disconnected from the rest of the world. e.g. rather than patches of places without hp reception in the east, you would be getting patches of places WITH reception instead (you'll have a long period of time without reception).

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the only reason i can think of visiting TAS is to catch the aurora australis

yangsss

Reaction score
Burnie and Devonport is same, no point gg.
if u r doing a round trip, launy -> stanley/arthur/ -> cradle -> hobart -> east coast, swanseas -> launy

along trip to arthur river/stanley u can drop by penguin. small town.
stanley can take chairlift up to stanley nut
arthur river can do fishing, or go to edge of the world.

cradle mt is a top destination here, its quite chilly this season and drive safe on icy /wet roads.

hobart can go salamanca market, port arthur night prison tour, mt wellington.

as u travel up north u pass swansea, freycinet wineglass bay.

towards launy, u pass by bicheno, can go see bicheno blowhole.

winter season can drop by ben lomond for ski lessons, beginners got crash course to learn.

as getting back u can drop by Little Blue Lake (not perth that one). its in Gladstone, v nice for photo taking.

launceston here got Cataract Gorge, chairlift can take.

if u are at southern part, take most of the chances to spot aurora, its easier over in hobart. follow the forecast although not always zhun. bring torchlights, warmer, more jackets, hot waterbottle with kopi-o, u can buy $6.50 kmart chairs and find a corner to sit down n wait it out. if no aurora also nvm, its a good experience to chill under the stars.

http://www.aurora-service.net/aurora-forecast/

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice bro thanks for the help.

Is round trip doable in 7 days?

Actually was planning Hobart -port Arthur-east coast-launy-cradle mountain-launy

Ben lomod is a good idea!

Was planning to go mt butler should go lomod instead!

Where in Hobart to catch southern lights?

Last edited:

yangsss

Reaction score
can be done.

day1 hobart
day2 port arthur / wineglass bay
day3 swansea / bicheno / st helens (or no st helens if too far)
day4 launy or cradle mt
day5 cradle mt
day6 launy
day7 launy

places to spend more time, hobart, cradle mt.
eat abalone, green lip is more expensive althou i prefer the normal blacklip one. eat more scallops and oysters. look ard seafood shops here.

wasted u fly in hobart cus if u fly in to launy i can lend u my mobile wifi and simcard, just top up $10 can get 1gb to use. not enuff just top up $10. its telstra so quite good network. beware of vodafone, or optus. optus not say not good, just that sometimes during roadtrip no network..etc

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought the tickets to tas yet so I can still go launy first.

Maybe I should cause it's a tues the sal market ain't open I suppose.

Stanley can skip?

Where in Hobart to see lights?

Feel like extending the days in tas for the ski, also need a day or two I think?

yangsss

Reaction score
yea, ben lomond is gearing up their equipments alrdy, snow season is usually early july - late sept btw. im looking forward to go break some limbs also.

stanley can skip. north west area not much too see, too long driving distances.

aurora u can bookmark this google map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1CaZDvNf6e8zfj49zTy0l-9w0NQ0&hl=en_US

zoom in to tas and see the locations marked by previous spotters. they got put notice and tips / hints also for some spots.

salamanca not much to buy, only got 1st time ppl to see i feel. mostly local products, leathers, wool but the ambience is good. no fight cus we got our pasar malam ramly burger $2. lol

no problem, my house is in launy cbd, if u drop by we can lim some kopi and make some bbq makan.

tjp

Reaction score
Going to visit Tasmania in Sep but flying to Hobart. Hope to catch southern light.
Any information on their bus services?

Last edited:

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my draft below, any advice ?

Day 1 - Overnight Hobart - Explore City and Mt Wellington
Day 2 - Overnight Hobart - Drive to tas peninsular,eaglehawk neck and port arthur
Day 3 - Overnight Coles bay - Drive to derwent valley-russel falls to swansea-kate berry farm to bicheno - blow hole and penguin tour
Day 4 - Overnight Coles bay - Freycinet Marine Farm,Wineglass Bay,Freycinet National Park
Day 5 - Overnight Ben Lemond - Drive to st helens - columba waterfalls to bays of fire to ben lemond for ski
Day 6 - Cradle Mt
Day 7 - Cradle Mt
Day 8 - Launy
day 9 - Launy

swordspirit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If going hobart, can consider going bruny island. But note that only limited car company allow u to board the ferry to bruny island. I used bargain car rental last time. They are based in tasmania and also located at hobart airport. Din have to pay location charge. Not sure now, though still have a way to go abt it. But pls read their insurance exclusion. Staying overnight at the island is a good option to see penguins and possibly aurora.

Last edited:

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
my draft below, any advice ?

Day 1 - Overnight Hobart - Explore City and Mt Wellington
Day 2 - Overnight Hobart - Drive to tas peninsular,eaglehawk neck and port arthur
Day 3 - Overnight Coles bay - Drive to derwent valley-russel falls to swansea-kate berry farm to bicheno - blow hole and penguin tour
Day 4 - Overnight Coles bay - Freycinet Marine Farm,Wineglass Bay,Freycinet National Park
Day 5 - Overnight Ben Lemond - Drive to st helens - columba waterfalls to bays of fire to ben lemond for ski
Day 6 - Cradle Mt
Day 7 - Cradle Mt
Day 8 - Launy
day 9 - Launy

Day 3 - it's 3.5 hours drive between Derwent Valley and Coles Bay. Not sure if the Russel Falls is worth that much of a detour.

Day 5 - Again, it's 3.5 hours to drive up from Bays of Fire to Ben Lomond. You definitely won't be doing any skiing when you arrive as it would be too late - closing time is 4.30pm.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.