2-week road trip in June (Is GPS rental necessary?)

pclow59

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Paragon88, I suppose you used optus daily plus, 500 MB at $2 per day? Is the data sufficient if rely heavily on google map?

It should be more than enough as google map that I found when using on my Queensland trip in Jan, not consume alot of data.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You guys know google map have offline maps right, you can just select an area and download..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Google maps isn't data intensive. If anything, 500mb would be good for more than a week if you don't use the data for anything else.

estherhallo

Reaction score
For Optus $2/day plan, I understand that we can only top up $10 minimum (for additional 5 days) if need be. My question is, the 5 days must it be consecutive? Or i can select which day to activate?
I will be in Victoria for 13 days so not sure should get 10 days or 15 days.

Thanks.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
For Optus $2/day plan, I understand that we can only top up $10 minimum (for additional 5 days) if need be. My question is, the 5 days must it be consecutive? Or i can select which day to activate?

Thanks.

It doesn't have to be consecutive, but any sort of activity would instantly charge you the $2. You'll want to turn the phone off before midnight, and turn it on again after the next midnight.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Does this mean that GPS is still preferred over Google map? :)

Personally, I would just use Google maps. However, some still prefer to get a GPS unit. That's perfectly fine though, although they should look at the cost of renting vs buying.

cool_ocean11

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Paragon88, I suppose you used optus daily plus, 500 MB at $2 per day? Is the data sufficient if rely heavily on google map?

More than enough I even shared hotspot with my wife while i'm using google map for driving, when not enough it can even be deducted from your remaining credit.
btw, on holiday you wouldn't have time to use mobile as heavy as in sg, no time to play my games as well..lol

cool_ocean11

Reaction score

Thanks.

It will auto activate and deduct the $2 from your balance when crossover to another day. btw, if you booked airbnb remember to show them your booking code and you will get additional $2 credits

cool_ocean11

Reaction score
Does this mean that GPS is still preferred over Google map? :)

Apex lend me a free GPS but I just chuck it away. It's not as user friendly as gmap. I tried searching some places but it couldn't b found, my personal opinion it work best if you have the postal code. Gmap map allows me to search nearby petrol kiosks, eateries, view current road conditions(data required) etc - you can voice over w/o typing

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.