Aussie trip, please comments

lamer

Reaction score
Heading there in early next month in Aug for 13 nights, arriving/departing at brisbane. Renting car around different city and flying between cities.

Updated my itinery based on your comments, please take a look.

day 0 (tue) - reached brisbane airport @ 1645 and rent car
day 1 (wed) - brisbane (lone pine koala sanctuary, queens st. mall, ...)
day 2 (thu) - brisbane (tbc)
day 3 (fri) - return car and fly to melbourne @ 0955
day 4 (sat) - drive GOR (1 night at port campbell)
day 5 (sun) - drive back to melbourne
day 6 (mon) - visit philips island or mt. buller?
day 7 (tue) - return car and fly to tasmania
day 8 (wed) - rent car and drive around tasmania
day 9 (thu) - tasmania
day 10 (fri) - tasmania
day 11 (sat) - return car and fly back to brisbane, rent car and drive to gold coast (1 night at gold coast)
day 12 (sun) - drive to bryon bay and back to brisbane
day 13 (mon) - return car and fly back to singapore @ 1800

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just do multi-city, instead of flying here and there.

Just fly back from your last destination.

vitaminty

Reaction score
Heading there in early next month in Aug for 13 nights/14 days, arriving/departing at brisbane.

Renting car around different city and flying between cities.

Brisbane
- Brisbane city (2 nights)
- Gold Coast (1 night)

Sydney? (2 nights)

Melbourne
- Melbourne city (2 nights)
- GOR drive
- Port Fairy (1 night)
- Philips Island?
- Melbourne city (1 night)

Tasmania (3 nights, see southern lights)

Brisbane
- Brisbane city (1 night)
- back to Singapore

Please comments on above and let me know the below.

Should I skip Sydney and spend more nights at Melbourne/Tasmania?

Does it make a different if I fly from Brisbane to
1) Sydney? > Melbourne > Tasmania or 2) Tasmania > Melbourne > Sydney? and back to Brisbane?

no go, too much to do in too little time. im not sure if you have considered the travelling time between each poi or city or the usable daylight hours

lamer

Reaction score
no go, too much to do in too little time. im not sure if you have considered the travelling time between each poi or city or the usable daylight hours
so you would advise me to skip sydney?

another option is to fly from Brisbane to Tasmania and then fly to Melbourne and then drive all the way to Brisbane (GOR, Melbourne city, Sydney, ...)?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you're being too ambitious trying to cover too many places in a short period of time...

Personally i'll skip tassie and just concentrate on the east coast and GOR..

vitaminty

Reaction score
I think you're being too ambitious trying to cover too many places in a short period of time...

i agree with beano about the ambitious part. i think you should drop brissy instead because i dont think theres much to do there, but seeing that you arrive there, maybe you should skip tassie this time round because you can easily spend a week travelling the entire tassie itself

so you would advise me to skip sydney?

another option is to fly from Brisbane to Tasmania and then fly to Melbourne and then drive all the way to Brisbane (GOR, Melbourne city, Sydney, ...)?

errr, dont do the drive from from melbourne to brisbane. not worth the effort

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
tassie flight < - > interstate (other than melb)

not every time slot also have, bear in mind that if weather is bad esp so this time of the year, god bless u, any flight delay can happen

Please skip bne, u can go ssrr 1-2 day trip in GC
Melb can do 4d3n

Tassie anyhow anyhow u also need 5 days at least, then n again 5 days only can cover 65% of the whole island, and this time of the year pls check opening times of the places uwanna visit for tassie

lamer

Reaction score

reason for goin tassie is to see the southern lights

can consider removing sydney and shorten my stays in brissy

lamer

Reaction score
i agree with beano about the ambitious part. i think you should drop brissy instead because i dont think theres much to do there, but seeing that you arrive there, maybe you should skip tassie this time round because you can easily spend a week travelling the entire tassie itself

errr, dont do the drive from from melbourne to brisbane. not worth the effort

goin brissy is because my friend is there and will be goin gold coast and considering bryon bay

ok will not consider driving from melbourne to brisbane, how about night train?

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
huai u wanna spend > airtic price to take train leh? and more time spent also. pls check fri jetstar deals and qantas deals

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Southern lights don't occur in Tasmania all that often, you're likely to be disappointed.

The whole itinerary sounds like a whirlwind tour from a tour group. It may work if all you want to do is turn up to a place, take a photo, and move on to the next place. Not exactly my preference though.

If you must spend some time in Tasmania, personally, I would consider may be a total of 2/3 nights in Brisbane/GC, 3/4 nights in Melbourne (and/or surrounds), and the rest of the time doing a road trip in Tasmania.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Southern lights are not as easily visible as their northern counterparts, if any NZ will be of higher chance in catching them..

g_t2006

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
goin brissy is because my friend is there and will be goin gold coast and considering bryon bay

Do you know the distance betweem Melbourne and Brisbane? Train between Melbourne and Brisbane is via Sydney and there's no so call night train.

Australia is huge. Plenty of stuff to do in Queensland.

You might be in time for Ekka.

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honestly, nobody takes train interstate unless you're retired and full of time..

vitaminty

Reaction score
err, just no, australia is huge, the train from melbourne to brisbane would be probably be over 24hrs. better off spending that little bit more and getting flights. time is of the essence here, your time in australia is limited.

kevin301

Reaction score
Heading there in early next month in Aug for 13 nights/14 days, arriving/departing at brisbane.

Renting car around different city and flying between cities.

Brisbane
- Brisbane city (2 nights)
- Gold Coast (1 night)

Sydney? (2 nights)

Melbourne
- Melbourne city (2 nights)
- GOR drive
- Port Fairy (1 night)
- Philips Island?
- Melbourne city (1 night)

Tasmania (3 nights, see southern lights)

Brisbane
- Brisbane city (1 night)
- back to Singapore

Please comments on above and let me know the below.

Should I skip Sydney and spend more nights at Melbourne/Tasmania?

Does it make a different if I fly from Brisbane to
1) Sydney? > Melbourne > Tasmania or 2) Tasmania > Melbourne > Sydney? and back to Brisbane?

Personally I wouldn't consider such an itinerary.
My preference is to spend more days in 1 location, and take the time to explore the area, even if the pace is quite slow and seemingly boring.
Also, renting a car for a few days at a time, then flying to the next destination and renting again, is kind of expensive.

For 14D/13N, I would opt for:
Day 1-4: Brisbane, Gold Coast, Byron Bay
Day 5-8: Sydney, (maybe Blue Mtns)
Day 9-13: Sydney to Melbourne road trip via coast, Melbourne City
Day 14 Melbourne - Brisbane - SG (plane)

and even then, I feel it's kinda rushed.
Well, everyone has different preferences I guess.

casualtraveller

Reaction score
If this is your first time in Aussie, i find you should spend more time in one place. Gold Coast has got more places to visit like Sunshine Coast, Mount Tambourine, etc. Besides GOR in Melbourne can visit Mornington Peninsula, Dandenong ranges, Philip Island, etc. Byron Bay is somewhere in between Gold Coast and Sydney. I find that it is not worth spend money and time to fly here and there to just see 1-2 attraction in one place.

Personally, with 2 weeks of holiday, i will choose to just go Melbourne & Tasmania. Else, Brisbane & Gold Coast. If have time, fly to Cairns?
This is my personal view but everyone's idea of travel is different. :)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.