Australia with kids

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi I have never been to Australia before so wondering which part of Australia should I be looking at if going with a 5 year old kid. Preferably with places which can keep them entertain. And also less walking.

Which part of the year should I go if I want the weather to be cold? Thanks!

klavier

Reaction score
Hi I have never been to Australia before so wondering which part of Australia should I be looking at if going with a 5 year old kid. Preferably with places which can keep them entertain. And also less walking.

Which part of the year should I go if I want the weather to be cold? Thanks!

Most of Australia is actually kid friendly. Since you are likely to rent a car, you wont be doing much walking unless you want to spend most of your time in the cities. The only area which I think is not suitable for a 5 year old is Gold Coast. While others might not agree, I do not see how a kid at that age can really enjoy/maximise the rides.

Of the multiple trips to Australia, I have only done once with a then 4 year old kid. We went to Western Australia, i.e. Perth, Albany and Margaret River. I found the trip to be a relaxing (perhaps cos I know the area well) and my kid did not give me any problems when she was forced to strapped in for hours in the car. The good thing about Australia is there is always some interesting sights and areas to visit a few hours from any major city that you are visiting so best is for you to find out what are the sights/attractions you want to visit before making a decision.

For cooler weather, the best months are June - Sept with end July/early August being the 'coldest'. Do note that the drawback of visiting during this season is obviously shorter daylight hours.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most of Australia is actually kid friendly. Since you are likely to rent a car, you wont be doing much walking unless you want to spend most of your time in the cities. The only area which I think is not suitable for a 5 year old is Gold Coast. While others might not agree, I do not see how a kid at that age can really enjoy/maximise the rides.

Of the multiple trips to Australia, I have only done once with a then 4 year old kid. We went to Western Australia, i.e. Perth, Albany and Margaret River. I found the trip to be a relaxing (perhaps cos I know the area well) and my kid did not give me any problems when she was forced to strapped in for hours in the car. The good thing about Australia is there is always some interesting sights and areas to visit a few hours from any major city that you are visiting so best is for you to find out what are the sights/attractions you want to visit before making a decision.

For cooler weather, the best months are June - Sept with end July/early August being the 'coldest'. Do note that the drawback of visiting during this season is obviously shorter daylight hours.

I see. So there will be a lot of driving involves and will take few hours each?

klavier

Reaction score
I see. So there will be a lot of driving involves and will take few hours each?

Well most who visit Australia would rent a car and drive out from the city. Drive times are dependent on which state/city you visit. Best is to choose destinations that restrict driving to 2-3 hours at a stretch. For longer drives, leave very early so that your kid can spend the first hour sleeping in the car..

Alternatively, if you only want to stay within the cities then there is little point to rent a car as parking is very expensive. For cities, Melbourne or Sydney would probably be better options.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.