HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Brisbane/gold Coast in dec

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Brisbane/gold Coast in dec

Hi, flying to brisbane in Dec for around 10 days. 2 adults with 2 small kids aged 3 and 5. Need some advise from the Bro and sis here.

Other than the usual theme parks in gold Coast. Seems like there are limited things to do in brisbane.

I found a rainforest resort. Oreilly resort in gold Coast. As well as some farm stays. Apart from that,seems like that's about all.

Shall I even try to drive north of brisbane to sunshine Coast?
Also not sure whether to plan to stay in brisbane as it seems like nothing much to do except some shopping.
AlchemistJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

For me I wouldn't go to gold coast for the 3 worlds, as they are meant for for big kids. Movie world last time (in the 90s when it was opened) got snow white in person, and those cartoon characters, now no more. Sea world last time got whales, now no more (and very boring too). Sunshine coast also boring, meant for adults (in my 90s memory)

US movie world/sea world/disneyland a lot better.

I think its better to go to sydney, the luna park there is meant for kids, also got the wet n wild park, Manly ferry service - last year my niece/nephew (age 2/4) were running around the ferry, also, got to try the double decker MRT train there, if the 5 yr old is small size then no need to buy opal kids card. Luna park is at Milsons point station, Manly ferry service is at circular quay. Lots of chinese at Chatswood, and big shopping center at Macquarie university station etc.
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

For me I wouldn't go to gold coast for the 3 worlds, as they are meant for for big kids. Movie world last time (in the 90s when it was opened) got snow white in person, and those cartoon characters, now no more. Sea world last time got whales, now no more (and very boring too). Sunshine coast also boring, meant for adults (in my 90s memory)

US movie world/sea world/disneyland a lot better.

I think its better to go to sydney, the luna park there is meant for kids, also got the wet n wild park, Manly ferry service - last year my niece/nephew (age 2/4) were running around the ferry, also, got to try the double decker MRT train there, if the 5 yr old is small size then no need to buy opal kids card. Luna park is at Milsons point station, Manly ferry service is at circular quay. Lots of chinese at Chatswood, and big shopping center at Macquarie university station etc.
Hi, thanks for your advise. But we've been to sydney previously when the kids were 1 and 3yrs old. Also went their luna park but they were to small to try the rides at that time. That's y we wanted to try somewhere new...
AlchemistJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Weather is terrible in Dec. I'll avoid summer in Australia. Too hot to be outdoors.

Brisbane, there's Mt Cootha, South Bank, Little Paris, Sunnybank, weekend markets, etc.

Noosa can drive there for sunrise and the weekend markets.

Redcliff for seafood.

Byron Bay, glow worm cave, if you are driving.
Old 22-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Hi, thanks for your advise. But we've been to sydney previously when the kids were 1 and 3yrs old. Also went their luna park but they were to small to try the rides at that time. That's y we wanted to try somewhere new...
Oh ya, seems like only 2 rides for them in Luna park

My child is less than 85cm tall, can they still go on rides?

Yes! They can go on the Carousel (in a carriage) and the Ferris Wheel free of charge with a paying adult (18+).
Looks like disneyland is a much better choice for the kids.

https://www.hongkongdisneyland.com/attractions/

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/a...lists/park:tdl
Old 22-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

I find the theme park is nothing much unless u wan to take lots of roller coaster and take photos with the characters.

Can try to go Springbrook, go to the different lookouts, especially "Best of all" lookout... not very far from Gold Coast. if i remember correctly, it is about 1+hr from gold coast. Also can go Mount Tambourine. Can take a splash at Cedar Waterfall.

Can go Byron Bay Lighthouse from Gold Coast.. it is not near and i think out of way if you are not driving to Sydney.
casualtraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:23 AM   #7
High Supremacy Member

The theme parks in GC have been unreliable in recent years, just another incident where patrons were stuck on a ride..

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-buzzsaw-stuck
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Great Supremacy Member

december is always go down south and spring/autumn is go brisbane.

like beano said, the theme worlds is not reliable at all
Old 28-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can visit north Stradbroke island or Moreton island. Much better than overrated theme parks. SeaWorld is a big ripoff
figo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #10

It depends on what you want to plan for your kids. I visited Gold Coast for 9 full days in 2016 & I spent most of my time in themeparks - DreamWorld, WhiteWater World, MovieWorld, SeaWorld, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Paradise Country Farm, and Skypoint.

While some may say things about themeparks got nothing much, I actually spend the entire opening hours there for most of them including Sea World. I even went to DreamWorld for 1.5 days.
Wei Xiaobao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #11

It depends on what you want to plan for your kids. I visited Gold Coast for 9 full days in 2016 & I spent most of my time in themeparks - DreamWorld, WhiteWater World, MovieWorld, SeaWorld, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Paradise Country Farm, and Skypoint.

While some may say things about themeparks got nothing much, I actually spend the entire opening hours there for most of them including Sea World. I even went to DreamWorld for 1.5 days.
It boils down to expectation :

low expectation (for those first time going to theme parks or compared to SG) - then fun and enjoying

high expectation (for those that have been to US/Japan) - then no fun and no enjoying

Read the google review is the best, check the comments from those who gave highest/lowest score.
Old 29-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
Great Supremacy Member

Stradbroke island or Moreton island can be also a rip off for non-sea activities goers.
Old 30-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Stradbroke island or Moreton island can be also a rip off for non-sea activities goers.
stradbroke island is still alright. bus ticket costs $10 and ferry ticket costs $20.

Moreton island is a tourist trap but still much better than spending money to queue up at theme parks.
figo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
Master Member

Brisbane / Gold Coast in August 2018

Hi,

Please allow me to borrow the thread since my planned itinerary is rather similar to TS'.

I'm heading to Brisbane/Gold Coast in August (2 pax). Currently this is our planned itinerary, would like to seek fellow forummers' advice:

Day 1:
  • Reach Brisbane Airport @ 10am
  • Collect Rental Car and Head to Gold Coast
  • Visit Skypoint Observation Deck and Super Bee Honey World

Day 2:
  • Head to Byron Bay for Sunrise (occurring at 6.35am)
  • Drive back to Gold Coast, Head for Warner Bros Movie World (visiting 1 theme park only)
  • Harbour Town Shopping Centre

Day 3:
  • Visit Tamborine Mountain (Glow Worm Cave and Rainforest Skywalk), and Cedar Creek Winery
  • Visit Springbrook National Park (Natural Bridge and googled this lookout called the Best of All Lookouts)

Day 4:
  • Head back to Brisbane, visit Chambers Flat Strawberry Farm on the way back
  • Visit Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
  • Visit those bars within Fortitude valley

Day 5:
  • Take ferry w/ rental car to Stradbroke Island (for the North Gorge Walk)
  • Take ferry back to visit Mount Coot-tha (for sunset view)
  • Visit Queen Street Mall (either this come first or Coot-tha come first, depending on the timing at Stradbroke)

Day 6:
  • Drive to Sunshine Coast, visit Noosa National Park (for Fairy Pools)
  • Go back to Sunshine Coast and take 1pm Whale-watching cruise with "Whale One"...not sure if there is a better cruise operator out there though...
  • Visit Point Cartwright Lighthouse after the cruise and Redcliffe for seafood (any recommended restaurants??)

Day 7 - Final Day:
  • Visit Southbank Parklands
  • Noosa Chocolate Factory
  • Story Bridge + Kangaroo Point Cliff Park
  • at around 3pm, drive back to catch 6pm flight back to Singapore

That's all! hopefully can get some inputs/feedbacks from pros here! Thanks!
MoneyHoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

I think your day 2 is too tight, you need almost a whole day at movie world. Also by then harbourtown would be closing by evening time..
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.