Car rental with kids on board

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Car rental with kids on board

Hi,
For car rental in Sydney/Melbourne,
what are the recommended places to hire from?

Do we need to get a Intl driver lic before we depart to Australia?

As I am travelling w a 2yo, is it better to rent or buy a child seat there? Thanks.
bomberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

The major companies generally work well. Just keep an eye on the invoice to make sure the charges are correct. Others here like the cheaper alternatives where the rental companies are located offsite. I personally prefer the on-site alternatives, but there are usually no major issues with the cheaper offsite ones as long as you're aware of the transfers involved.

You won't need an international licence as long as your licence has adequate English. Singapore is fine, the newer Malaysian one is also fine.

Rent vs buy depends on how long you're there for, although keep in mind that the seats in Australia are designed specifically to meet Australian rules so it may not be suitable for use outside of Australia (and overseas models may not be suitable for use in Australia either).
Awesom Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

The major companies generally work well. Just keep an eye on the invoice to make sure the charges are correct. Others here like the cheaper alternatives where the rental companies are located offsite. I personally prefer the on-site alternatives, but there are usually no major issues with the cheaper offsite ones as long as you're aware of the transfers involved.

You won't need an international licence as long as your licence has adequate English. Singapore is fine, the newer Malaysian one is also fine.

Rent vs buy depends on how long you're there for, although keep in mind that the seats in Australia are designed specifically to meet Australian rules so it may not be suitable for use outside of Australia (and overseas models may not be suitable for use in Australia either).
Not suitable as in the design or the requirements etc? The police will check the car seats and know if its "by Australian standard"?
mikeeeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
High Supremacy Member

Not suitable as in the design or the requirements etc? The police will check the car seats and know if its "by Australian standard"?
Don't talk about the incompetent police here.. they don't even catch those cars flouting #rule128..
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Don't talk about the incompetent police here.. they don't even catch those cars flouting #rule128..
saw in the aussie news few weeks ago that the police sleep in his car when on duty to watch traffic.
casualtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry about the police, but in the unlikely event of a serious accident, they may discover the use of an unapproved child seat and possibly deny any compensation claim relating to the specific child using that seat.
Old 17-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks for all the advice.
looking at apex.. seems pricing is much affordable
Old 17-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yeah. Only thing is have to travel out of Airport to the place to collect car

Went to check Apex for my trip. About $500. And car seat only $12 per hire!

But I still go with hertz cos its now $650. Considering the taxi ride to and fro. Aiya save the trouble la. But hertz car seat $88! Guess im gonna bring my own.
Old 18-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #9

Considering the taxi ride to and fro. Aiya save the trouble la.
I think you call them and they'll come pick you up, so no need for taxi.
Old 18-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #10

Yeah. Only thing is have to travel out of Airport to the place to collect car

Went to check Apex for my trip. About $500. And car seat only $12 per hire!

But I still go with hertz cos its now $650. Considering the taxi ride to and fro. Aiya save the trouble la. But hertz car seat $88! Guess im gonna bring my own.
Apex has a complimentary shuttle that will bring you to their offsite office in their shuttle.. just call them and they will pick you up from the airport. the journey from airport to their office is usually about 5-10 mins ride.
casualtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

OOOO!!!

In that case, Apex really sounds much better.
Old 18-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #12

just came back last wk ...
am also travelling with my with and a 2yo kid

i rental a car from town
about $30 per day plus $5 child seat per day
total $35/day net

can try ariescarrental.com.au
Honda91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #13

My friend was recently fined A$1200 by the Melb police for having 4 adults & 3 kids in a 5 seater sedan and no child seats at all for the kids. Very daring but he's just too rich to pay the fine. Hahaha
michaelkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #14

Apex is much affordable because they don't charge location fees and one way fees. I rented an Outlander/Rav4 from Sydney airport and return at Melbourne airport A$560 for 15 days. Hertz quoted a little over A$1K. 1st day got an Outlander but cruise control not working, swapped for a Rav4 on 2nd day and comes with Radar cruise control, lane departure assist.. no complains.
bomberman likes this.
michaelkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

great service to change it for u
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.