HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Car Rental in Melbourne

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

Car Rental in Melbourne

Dear All,

I wanna ask as im going to AU in Oct with my family and the only driver is my younger brother but he dont own a cc. So i wanna ask if the car rentals able to accept non driver CC if its required to? or the driver die die need a cc? Thanks.
toophat15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

No need, you can put your bro's name as named driver..
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #3

So meaning, when the cashier asked for a cc to hold on charges just in case anything happen can be my cc even im not a driver? cause i read on some websites mention driver needs to be the one holding to the cc.
Old 25-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
High Supremacy Member

For Hertz quite straight forward. Just says: The Credit Card holder MUST be present at time of collection.

And immediate family member doesn't need to be added as additional driver

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/re...ND&EOAG=LSYT50

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/re...SYDT50/LICENSE
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/re...ND&EOAG=LSYT50
-A valid credit card in the renter's name is required for booking
- You and any person driving the vehicle must be 21 years of age or over (unless approved in writing by Hertz) and must hold a current drivers licence
https://www.budget.com.au/en/faqs/au...nd-reservation

Can I use someone else's credit card?

For security purposes of the credit card holder, all renters must have a credit card in their own name. It is not possible to collect a vehicle with someone else’s credit card.
https://www.avis.com.au/en/customer-...aqs/au/payment

Can I use someone else's credit card?

For security purposes, all renters must have a credit card in their own name. It's not possible to collect a vehicle with someone else’s credit card.
Unless you own a valid driving license with CC, otherwise can not due to security reasons

https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.a...ur-credit-card
Please note: the renter's drivers licence and credit/debit card must be in the same name.
https://www.apexrentals.com.au/renta...s#requirements
How old do you have to be to rent an Apex vehicle?

The minimum age for renting with Apex Car Rentals is 21 years old. However, the renter must have a full and valid driver licence and credit card, and adhere to the applicable Apex Rental Terms & Conditions.
poonyq said he did it before, so you can message them and ask :
https://www.apexrentals.com.au/customer-support

Last edited by AMAT; 25-07-2019 at 09:14 AM..
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

Try APEX Car Rental instead. i used it there before and they accepted my DBS Debit Card. the only downside is need to let them swipe my card AUD800 additional as deposit, but they refunded back the amount after i return the car. My Car Rental plan was the Zero Excess ones.
poonyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Master Member

Try APEX Car Rental instead. i used it there before and they accepted my DBS Debit Card. the only downside is need to let them swipe my card AUD800 additional as deposit, but they refunded back the amount after i return the car. My Car Rental plan was the Zero Excess ones.
Hi, may i know which branch you rented from. I previously rented from Tullarmarine Airport. Used DBS Debit Card, they only deducted my total rental. Did not swipe my card for Deposit. Not sure if there is a change now?
Pryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

I done a quick check on their website support. They say able to accept a debit or credit card but it need to be under the driver's name. But they say they wont be deducting anything. If lets say i pay all up front on the website upon rental, so meaning i dont need to pay anything when collecting? Thanks.
Old 30-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #9

I done a quick check on their website support. They say able to accept a debit or credit card but it need to be under the driver's name. But they say they wont be deducting anything. If lets say i pay all up front on the website upon rental, so meaning i dont need to pay anything when collecting? Thanks.
Depends on which rental company. Some rental company charge the full amount to your card first and you just collect the car on the day. Some rental companies requires credit card information first and will only charge the whole amount to your card on the day you collect your car.
Fliks. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #10

Mine was the Gold Coast Branch. Different outlets might have different rules though. take my words with a pinch of salt.

just to share my experience with the 3 rentals i had with Apex in terms of admin.
1. Melbourne Airport Branch.
-Used my friends (also traveller) to deduct rentals as they only accepted Credit Cards. Main driver name was mine, but CC was my friend.

2. Sydney Branch.
- same trip as above, but this time they told me if want to use my friend's CC, he has got to be the main driver. but it doesn't matter cos APEX additional driver is FOC.

3. Gold Coast Branch.
- i was the only driver in my family, my CC wasnt able to arrive in time for this trip, so i called them to checked if i can use debit card as my payment, they told me can but need to swipe a authorized charge of AUD800, and will refund me back when i return the car.

but recently when i was booking for my upcoming trip (that's why i came into this thread). i saw that in their website they are ale to use debit card that is bank issued. so.... better call to check in details if you need more information.

Last edited by poonyq; 30-07-2019 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: more information
Old 30-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #11

i dont think so. i always pay there instead of online for APEX. unless it's another rental coy?
Old 30-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

Same here, I just rented from Apex Melbourne last month, they did not charge any deposit. When collecting the car, they just charged the full amount to my credit card
desquest76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
Master Member

Same here, I just rented from Apex Melbourne last month, they did not charge any deposit. When collecting the car, they just charged the full amount to my credit card

Guess they change their terms. Did you rented from tullamarine branch?
Pryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

Guess they change their terms. Did you rented from tullamarine branch?
Yes, from the Tullamarine branch. Even last year at Brisbane, they did not charge me any deposit.
desquest76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #15

How do the tolls work? I heard that it's not like our ERP. Do they get charged to your CC without you knowing?
dadaducks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.