Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

actigenE

Reaction score
Just booked a Camry from Avis through Vroomx3.com.au at Melbourne airport.

Anyone with any experience to share? The excess part seems quite confusing though and very pricey as I'll going for 11 days.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually rented from Avis, fuss free. Collected the car and gone in 5mins

actigenE

Reaction score
Any forummers opted for the Wi-fi hotspot?

Not very sure how it works but it seems pricey. Will it be better to just guy a sim card in Melbourne?

GuiJie

Master Member
Reaction score
Just booked a car from Hertz for 4 days at 170 AUD.

Cheapest I found when comparing with all those that can pick up directly at the airport.

Bought insurance from tripcover - 40 AUD so works out to be 210 AUD in total. :)

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any forummers opted for the Wi-fi hotspot?

Not very sure how it works but it seems pricey. Will it be better to just guy a sim card in Melbourne?

Maybe just get a couple of SIM cards and tether.

woaideren

Reaction score
Will be going Perth in chrismas period, rentals are insanely expensive due to holiday season.
Also, can only rent from the big names in airport since all other places are closed.

Going for a roadtrip south of Perth, probably covering some 2500km in 9 days.

Would like to get help for a couple of things.

1. Need to get GPS or not?
2. Ideal to get full cover from Hertz or not? I think it's 30++ AUD per day to reduce everything to zero and inclusive of single car accidents too?
3. How are young drivers subcharged calculated?
4. If me and another friend driving (both 24), how will us be charged?
5. Anyone tried just putting 1 name and two person share while driving? (Can probably save 150 this way)

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Will be going Perth in chrismas period, rentals are insanely expensive due to holiday season.
Also, can only rent from the big names in airport since all other places are closed.

2. Ideal to get full cover from Hertz or not? I think it's 30++ AUD per day to reduce everything to zero and inclusive of single car accidents too?
5. Anyone tried just putting 1 name and two person share while driving? (Can probably save 150 this way)

1. Not really. Google maps is more than adequate.
2. It's up to you. It's expensive, but gives you piece of mind. Cheaper options include using third party excess reduction insurance but if there is a claim, you'll need to submit the claim to the third party separately.
3. It's up to the rental company. From my understanding, it's related to higher risks as perceived by the rental/insurance companies.
4. Check for the additional driver charge. It's usually a few dollars per day.
5. It's a grey area, but in the worst case, in the event of an accident, the person not named may not have insurance coverage.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can chat with online if you have any queries @ Vroomx3.com.au

Vroomx3.com.au is not a car hire company, hence the provide you with 3rd party insurance underwritten by Allianz

that's what i been told ......
"standard excess is AUD4000. they will block the amount withhold on the card if something happen *touchwood*. if nothing happen to the car it goes back to the credit card. If you have a damage you will receive documents to log a claim to the insurance."

Just booked a Camry from Avis through Vroomx3.com.au at Melbourne airport.

Anyone with any experience to share? The excess part seems quite confusing though and very pricey as I'll going for 11 days.

Last edited:

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
Just came back from perth wanted to rent a car from avis but unfortunately i forgot to bring along my singapore driving license and was stopped from renting in the end have to rely on plan B

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just came back from perth wanted to rent a car from avis but unfortunately i forgot to bring along my singapore driving license and was stopped from renting in the end have to rely on plan B

Omg, how did you forget?

Quasar

Reaction score

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/Car-hire-deals/asia-au-youngdriver

This might be helpful.

And I'm not sure if Hertz Australia will waive additional driver if he/she is your significant other/fiancee/fiance. I know US will.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

How much is the deposit roughly for car rental?

Refundable?

Strangely enough, my last car rental with Avis, they didn't take a deposit.. But typically between 200-500$

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.