HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #31
Supremacy Member

Hi, Anyone know whether Hertz and Avis charge age surcharge for 23 year old driver who use sg licence ?

thx
Frederick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #32

try Budget or Hertz. they are quite ex though.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #33

budget/hertz is the last thing i will look for when i want to rent a car.
try bayswater or redspot, both are young drivers friendly. students like to rent frm redspot though. so i only recommend these 2, both are cheap and reliable.
chimpchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #34

I had rented from thrifty and budget before. They were ok.
The rate will be good if there is some special offer.

Once, I had rented budget car and they gave me a +2 upgrade(1.6l to 3.5l)...hehe..
yeokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #35

i was in perth 3 weeks ago! Was using Hertz, can collect the car from the airport.

bought full cover insurance at around AUD$33++ per day, total for 7 days will be $200++ lah.

My rental was originally for a Toyoto Corolla but they upgrade for free to a Camry as they ran out of Corollas. So I was very happy....until I got my credit card bill last week.

I was charged AUD$400+ !! I really don't know why. I can't remember if I paid for the insurance over there in cash or did i ask to charge to my card. Even if charge to my card also can't be $400+ leh. Sigh!! As I book the car via a travel agent, I asked my agent to help me check it out. Pending reply from Hertz now....
kittylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #36

In Perth, rent from No Birds. They have a huge of Toyoto Corolla which are super reliable.

I once accidentally went on unpaved road in NSW for 200km on a Corolla. Fearing the worst, the car and myself survived the butt-crushing experience and went on for another 2000km without any problem.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #37

I always use http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au to search for the best prices. Though over the last few weeks when I rented in Melb and Syd, Hertz came out to be the cheapest after applying in 10% discount you can get from www.priceline.com.sg.

Personally, I do not get car insurance from the company because the daily rates is so overpriced. Cheaper alternatively would be a travel insurance / car insurance bought separately. I use http://www.worldwideinsure.com (Car insurance only) or www.1cover.com.au (Travel insurance with car excess). Both cost less then 100SGD for 12 days. The only negative to doing this is that you have to pay for any excess before claiming it from the company.
faeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #38
High Supremacy Member

I always use http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au to search for the best prices. Though over the last few weeks when I rented in Melb and Syd, Hertz came out to be the cheapest after applying in 10% discount you can get from www.priceline.com.sg.

Personally, I do not get car insurance from the company because the daily rates is so overpriced. Cheaper alternatively would be a travel insurance / car insurance bought separately. I use http://www.worldwideinsure.com (Car insurance only) or www.1cover.com.au (Travel insurance with car excess). Both cost less then 100SGD for 12 days. The only negative to doing this is that you have to pay for any excess before claiming it from the company.

Thanks for the insurance tip.
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #39

Hi All,

I will be heading to Perth in 3rd week of October for a week and intend to rent a car to travel around.

Have gone through the posts and noted that some of you rent the cars when you reach there. Any idea whether it'll be cheaper to do advance booking online or to book in person when I am there?

I have checked Hertz, and the cost is AUD350 for one week Camry. This excludes the excess reduction which cost a whooping AUD27 per day.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
erskinemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #40

Hi All,

I will be heading to Perth in 3rd week of October for a week and intend to rent a car to travel around.

Have gone through the posts and noted that some of you rent the cars when you reach there. Any idea whether it'll be cheaper to do advance booking online or to book in person when I am there?

I have checked Hertz, and the cost is AUD350 for one week Camry. This excludes the excess reduction which cost a whooping AUD27 per day.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
erskinemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #41

how abt bayswater? seen a lot of those cars around in perth. seems a very popular choice of company to rent car from.
chimpchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #42

i'm guessing i'm bending towards bayswater for my rental in Sept liao..
anyway, can someone advise, how do the parking in AU works?

coupons, fuels? as my plan will be driving across to hyden, coming down to albany, across to margaret river, up Bunbury and last back to Perth..
Old 17-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #43

can anyone who used bayswater rental be4 advise..
what does standard cover and top cover damage policies cover?

i cant find the info
Old 17-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #44

Talking

My humble 2 cents worth from my last 15 trips to Perth, WA.

Rent from Bayswater (No birds. haha) - Cheapest and most value for money. Their entire fleet is Toyota Corolla or Yaris-equivalent. But book in advance for better rates and availability. The entire fleet of cars were booked out on my last trip in Dec 2009 during X'mas.

Rent from M2000 - 2nd cheapest and the chain is being run by an asian family who hires a lot of asian students. Easy to communicate. I paid more for a 2 litre Kia Cerato (Black) new car to avoid all the unnecessary hassle of breakdown. 2nd driver with a car mileage of 1200 km clocked when i rented it.

Driving in WA is very enjoyable. Petrol is not as expensive, drivers are very courteous and safe, roads for excellent for straight-line warriors. A lot of pitstops along the way.

I drove to Busselton, rented a place and basically camped out from my base to every part of the southern WA for the next 7 days. Busselton - all the wineries and nearby places/off the road beaches and etc.

To be safe, it is also good to have a GPS and a comprehensive car insurance to protect yourself. Rent a GPS if you need one. Otherwise, just buy 1 from the megamall for AUD105. I think the aussie brand is called Tomtom.

Interesting bit - On the way back, i made a wrong turn off the highway back to Perth and took a very freaking long winding road back via the countryside. Turned out to be a really beautiful and quiet drive between my OC and I. Accidentally passed by the Harvey Orange orchards and farms too.

Drive safe and don't bring the singaporean attitude to aussie!

Calblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #45

Forgot to mention that M2000 and Bayswater are situated at a few places in central and south perth. They are not based at the airport.

For renting cars directly from airport, Hertz and Avis are the popular and well-established choices.

Cab from airport to city is about AUD55-AUD70 one way.
Calblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.