Driving in Melbourne

chocomelo

Reaction score
Hi

I just gotten my Class 3A licence last month and will be traveling to Melbourne in August 2018. I read from a lot of sites which say we need to have a licence for at least 1 year to drive there. How sticky is this regulation? Anyone tried renting and driving a car in Australia with a licence less than 1 year before?

Thanks in advance :)

ocean_native

Reaction score
Hi

I just gotten my Class 3A licence last month and will be traveling to Melbourne in August 2018. I read from a lot of sites which say we need to have a licence for at least 1 year to drive there. How sticky is this regulation? Anyone tried renting and driving a car in Australia with a licence less than 1 year before?

Thanks in advance :)
sometimes it depends on the car rental company or what type of car you rent. some require up to two years of experience. However i have not been able to find or heard of any rentals that allow less than one year also :( maybe if you have a friend there who has a license more than one year they can rent a car for you and you simply pay them back?

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
driving in melb cbd....is worse than orchard road. pls be familiar w tram rules if u do decide to drive. in bne, melb and syd if ur driving skills and reaction speed is half past 6, pls avoid cbd. This din just come from me, from family members who drives for a living in singapore.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A lot of bobo drivers have collision with trams, and a few don't even know how to do the right hook turn.. most of these i seen are asians..

chocomelo

Reaction score
Guess it's better not to drive then. Probably will just get a day tour to GOR.

Thank you guys for your comments! :)

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not to say don't drive.
But only not to drive in city area.
Outside city zone is no issue.
In city just park and use other transport.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
On weekdays, try not to drive in the cbd in Melbourne (or Sydney, Brisbane, and even Adelaide for that matter). Quite often, you'll find that it's faster to walk than to drive within the cbd at those times.

Once outside of the cbd, it's generally fine in areas where tourists would normally be interested in.

wrxkev

Reaction score
Just have a Question here... how to avoid CBD completely? :s13:

Say for example I rent a car in the city area which I am driving to great ocean road, picking up the car in the city and coming back will more or less have to include "some city driving" yes?

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
last time 7 ish am melb CBD still pretty quiet ... now is cfm not quiet at all. try to avoid tram routes.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just have a Question here... how to avoid CBD completely? :s13:

Say for example I rent a car in the city area which I am driving to great ocean road, picking up the car in the city and coming back will more or less have to include "some city driving" yes?

Honestly its not that bad, worse case you probably get horned for doing something wrong..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Honestly its not that bad, worse case you probably get horned for doing something wrong..

You will also get that treatment when you do something right but the other driver wants to do something wrong and you happen to be in his/her way. :s13:

ahjunlah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guess it's better not to drive then. Probably will just get a day tour to GOR.

Thank you guys for your comments! :)
Day tour at GOR cost 1xx per pax?

Like that ownself rent and drive more worth it?

@beano just to check if you know If there's free parking near little lonsdale street at night?
Thanks

Sent from Samsung SM-A710F using GAGT

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
many years ago GoR tour was jus 69-76aud per person if u took it on a tuesday from extra green

wrxkev

Reaction score
Yes I feel that day tour is so not worth it compare to driving.

I have no problem once I got to the highway. But I worry about the driving in the city area (when I go pick and return the car).

P.S not yet drove in Melbourne but planning to do that soon this year.

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
for me, i only rent from hertz at franklin.

various reasons, I like hertz. and its easy to leave the city and enter the city via victoria street. That part of the city is least traffic, least tram lines. I have to say it may be a huge detour if u r heading downsouth but from how i see it, its the safest. i am usually the navigator while my family drive

see what the others say.

for people who needs cheap buy good leather belts, bring ur exisitng leather belt "head" and go to vic market on weekend. there is a store that sells various design of belt and will cut the length according to your needs and punch it for u for free

mine and my bro's belt is still gg strong for 6 years worth using

Last edited:

wrxkev

Reaction score
for me, i only rent from hertz at franklin.

various reasons, I like hertz. and its easy to leave the city and enter the city via victoria street. That part of the city is least traffic, least tram lines. I have to say it may be a huge detour if u r heading downsouth but from how i see it, its the safest. i am usually the navigator while my family drive

see what the others say.

Thanks for the tips! will take hertz into consideration. I am trying to minimize "city driving" as much as possible.

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
and hertz is usually Toyota Corolla. they hv other cars such as ford or holden nissan. but they always have toyota if u need a comfort in driving cars u r used to.

i usually book my rooms at arrow n walk to Franklin. Arrows is very tiny apt. but its cheap :s34: when u book early. comes w kitchen where u hv pots, knife, and MW. and coins l'dry if u need it. and arrows hv carpark but iirc they dun come cheap. There are few free parking near queensberry street. but makesure u wake up to sua qia before 8am

Last edited:

wrxkev

Reaction score
and hertz is usually Toyota Corolla. they hv other cars such as ford or holden nissan. but they always have toyota if u need a comfort in driving cars u r used to.

i usually book my rooms at arrow n walk to Franklin. Arrows is very tiny apt. but its cheap :s34: when u book early. comes w kitchen where u hv pots, knife, and MW. and coins l'dry if u need it. and arrows hv carpark but iirc they dun come cheap. There are few free parking near queensberry street. but makesure u wake up to sua qia before 8am

took a look at arrows apt after you recommend and unfortunately I cannot take that as I am going with another family with 1 kid. Total 4 adults 2 kids including myself so I need 2 double beds. LoL.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.