Great Alpine road self drive

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
am planning for great alpine road self drive
after some own googling, understand the stretch of road is between Wangaratta & Bairnsdale

planning to start & end at melbourne (loop)
- clockwise or anti-clockwise, which better
- no of days required
- recommended stops & stays
- any other tips & precautions appreciated too

pls help ... thanks!

p.s are snow chains required even in summer?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
am planning for great alpine road self drive
after some own googling, understand the stretch of road is between Wangaratta & Bairnsdale

planning to start & end at melbourne (loop)
- clockwise or anti-clockwise, which better
- no of days required
- recommended stops & stays
- any other tips & precautions appreciated too

pls help ... thanks!

p.s are snow chains required even in summer?

You can look at the threads which i posted in the Melbourne thread.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/australia-317/my-melbourne-itinerary-2609410-37.html#post100992179

For me, i did it clock wise, spent 3 days 2 nights. 1 night at Mount Beauty because it was during a long weekend, if not you could find accommodation at Bright.

Another night at Lakes Entrance.

I guess the main purpose of doing the GAR, is to visit Mount Buffalo and do their walks/trails, at least that was my main agenda.

Just note their roads are quite narrow and winding.

After you're done with Mount Buffalo, take the B500 and drive pass Mount Hotham. This stretch takes 2-3hrs+, the initial part is quite scenic, but once you're heading down the mountain towards lakes entrance, it can be quite boring and isolated. Just be prepared..

No snow chain required during summer months

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks beano!

think will take clockwise as ascent more steep, easier to climb than on heavy brakes.

may i know where the last fuel stop before the ascent?
is there a map which indicate the rest stops / camping grounds?

since it's my first, i intent to plan for 2D1N quickies :s12:

aside from great ocean road, are there other drives that you recommend?

am thinking of heading to Tasmania for few days too, wonder if i should fly & take the ferry from Melbourne?

You can look at the threads which i posted in the Melbourne thread.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/australia-317/my-melbourne-itinerary-2609410-37.html#post100992179

For me, i did it clock wise, spent 3 days 2 nights. 1 night at Mount Beauty because it was during a long weekend, if not you could find accommodation at Bright.

Another night at Lakes Entrance.

I guess the main purpose of doing the GAR, is to visit Mount Buffalo and do their walks/trails, at least that was my main agenda.

Just note their roads are quite narrow and winding.

After you're done with Mount Buffalo, take the B500 and drive pass Mount Hotham. This stretch takes 2-3hrs+, the initial part is quite scenic, but once you're heading down the mountain towards lakes entrance, it can be quite boring and isolated. Just be prepared..

No snow chain required during summer months

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks beano!

think will take clockwise as ascent more steep, easier to climb than on heavy brakes.

may i know where the last fuel stop before the ascent?
is there a map which indicate the rest stops / camping grounds?

since it's my first, i intent to plan for 2D1N quickies :s12:

aside from great ocean road, are there other drives that you recommend?

am thinking of heading to Tasmania for few days too, wonder if i should fly & take the ferry from Melbourne?

2D1N means you'll just be driving mostly and not doing any sight seeing/walking?

If you fill up at Bright, it should be more than sufficient, because the distance is just over 200km to Lakes Entrance

You have to google to look for camp sites, rest stops, once you get to Mount Hotham, you can take a break there.

I've done day drives to Marysville which has very nice roads.

Another place is Wilson Prom.

Towards to GOR, you can drive to Portland which is at the border of SA.

For Tas, best to fly unless you enjoy a night of cruising.

Last edited:

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much beano!

for this trip, short hike maybe, no sightseeing (i think i done enough, but my old folks may still be interested, that's why i'm trying to get away :D)

anyway what i want to experience for this trip is how's life living on the road in Melbourne (hopefully for TAS as well). that's why camp sites are important for me, and what facilities are available (e.g cooking, wc, bath etc)

still searching for info for melbourne, in japan they got map with rest tops listed with facilities, very handy!

2D1N means you'll just be driving mostly and not doing any sight seeing/walking?

If you fill up at Bright, it should be more than sufficient, because the distance is just over 200km to Lakes Entrance

You have to google to look for camp sites, rest stops, once you get to Mount Hotham, you can take a break there.

I've done day drives to Marysville which has very nice roads.

Another place is Wilson Prom.

Towards to GOR, you can drive to Portland which is at the border of SA.

For Tas, best to fly unless you enjoy a night of cruising.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Great Alpine Drive - rest stops
GAR%20rest%20stops_zpsrxcs9yp8.png

source http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...ary/travel/before+you+go/plan+your+rest+stops

Last edited:

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok noted & thanks!. i noticed there weren't any service centre (i.e fuel stop) indicated, quite worrisome? thought u mention to topup at bright?

i read i don't require IDP to rent & drive in Victoria if i stay less than 3 months as long as i have my Singapore driving license with me?

hopefully not a lot of tollways, i just spotted 2 i.e citylink & eastlink. how much they are charging?

Very good tip! However some times rest stops can be adhoc

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok noted & thanks!. i noticed there weren't any service centre (i.e fuel stop) indicated, quite worrisome? thought u mention to topup at bright?

i read i don't require IDP to rent & drive in Victoria if i stay less than 3 months as long as i have my Singapore driving license with me?

hopefully not a lot of tollways, i just spotted 2 i.e citylink & eastlink. how much they are charging?

Yea bright is a relatively busy town, you should fuel up there before heading through the mountains. Full tank will avg get you 500km, more than sufficient to get pass.

If you're on tourist visa, you can't stay more than 3months anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you're doing the GAR, you wouldn't need to use the tolls, you can set your GPS to avoid them.

The tolls are quite complex, usually there's a cap for weekends which is about $6-9, can't recall as i hardly use it. Usually rental co. will explain how they will charge, easiest is to charge back to your CC.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

If the tank is at half of less, just fill it up if you happen to be passing a larger town. But don't do it at the first place you see, it's usually more expensive.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks beano, Awesom Andy

preliminary plan
  • Melbourne to Wangaratta 251 km. About 2.5 hours (Rest Stop @ Cafe Derailleur)
  • Wangaratta to Bright 76 km, about 1 hour (detour Mount Buffalo Drive @ Porepunkah)
  • Bright or Mount Beauty for a night (Fill-up petrol)
  • Bright to Omeo 110 km, about 2 hours (Rest Stop @ Mt Hotham)
  • Omeo to Metung/Lakes Entrance 153 km, about 2 hours (Rest stop @ bullant brewery)
  • Back to Melbourne

will make plans for great ocean drive next ...

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks beano, Awesom Andy

preliminary plan
  • Melbourne to Wangaratta 251 km. About 2.5 hours (Rest Stop @ Cafe Derailleur)
  • Wangaratta to Bright 76 km, about 1 hour (detour Mount Buffalo Drive @ Porepunkah)
  • Bright or Mount Beauty for a night (Fill-up petrol)
  • Bright to Omeo 110 km, about 2 hours (Rest Stop @ Mt Hotham)
  • Omeo to Metung/Lakes Entrance 153 km, about 2 hours (Rest stop @ bullant brewery)
  • Back to Melbourne

will make plans for great ocean drive next ...

Suggest you try to stay in Bright, because from bright to mt beauty, it's another 1/2hr of winding roads.. and back again to head out to Omeo..

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok noted. may i know if you took your panorama @ Horn track?
was thinking to stay for sunset and camp at lake Catani, since I don't think i will be able to make it to bright

Suggest you try to stay in Bright, because from bright to mt beauty, it's another 1/2hr of winding roads.. and back again to head out to Omeo..

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok noted. may i know if you took your panorama @ Horn track?
was thinking to stay for sunset and camp at lake Catani, since I don't think i will be able to make it to bright

Yes i think.. sure you can camp there..

Where are you coming from that you can't make it to bright?

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2016-10-17_Lake%20Catani_zpsnmjcm642.png

as it starts to turn dark quickly after sunset and also not sure if there are street lights along mt buffalo rd, hence less confidence to reach bright. (And probably i can't afford to rent the VW Golf GTi too :D )

besides, lake catani seems like nice place to camp out with options to head up again for sunrise :)
Yes i think.. sure you can camp there..
Where are you coming from that you can't make it to bright?

hahaha, kinda true. :D
It's less than 1 hour to get to Bright so there shouldn't be any problem reaching Bright. But don't we all get a little lazy after sunset? :s13:

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since you're going during summer, there will still be daylight till 8pm..

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Original__9172732_TVIC_Gippsland__visionsofvictoria1031000305_4o8b64p_800X450_zpsruo4wyou.jpg

Hi beano, Awesom Andy
do you know which part of gippsland is that?

I plan for following route before returning to Melbourne
Leg 1 Great Alpine Drive
Leg 2 Gippsland / Wilson Prom
Leg 3 Yarra Valley

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.