My Melbourne Itinerary

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
Is going to Phillip Island worth the trip to see penguins or just St. Kilda's is sufficient? Paid versus free.
have children?

if so enroute to PI, there is a farm that the children can experience with some farm animals.

once again st kilda is not safe after hours

It was known to be unsafe after house even back in late 90's , today its even worse. And today yellow skin = made in china = rich dudes

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Another question. After GOR (night in Warrnambool), I have one more night before heading back to Melbourne Tullamarine. Undecided to stay at Grampians or Ballarat (for Sovereign Hill).

Definitely Grampians if you are ok with hiking. With Sovereign Hill, have a look at the website and photos, and check the entry prices, then see if you are still interested?

savetotravel

Reaction score
Anybody has any recommendations in photoshoot at Brighton beach house
And any recommendations for accommodation at Philip island?

smellybelly

Reaction score
Can someone share with me their itinerary for 6 days in Melbourne? Planning on a road trip with my wife & 1yo toddler.

ZigguratZ

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help with my itinerary for my upcoming Melbourne and Sydney trip..

Will be there for 10 days, from 13th to 22nd may.. Arriving via Melbourne and departure via Sydney.

Am planning for the first 2 days to explore Melbourne city follow by renting a car and to explore great ocean road for 4 days and return to Melbourne city...

Should I travel to Sydney via domestic flight or should I just drive up to Sydney and return my car at Sydney ?

I'm also looking at whether to visit blue mountain ..

Sorry for the noob question.. TIA

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help with my itinerary for my upcoming Melbourne and Sydney trip..

Will be there for 10 days, from 13th to 22nd may.. Arriving via Melbourne and departure via Sydney.

Am planning for the first 2 days to explore Melbourne city follow by renting a car and to explore great ocean road for 4 days and return to Melbourne city...

Should I travel to Sydney via domestic flight or should I just drive up to Sydney and return my car at Sydney ?

I'm also looking at whether to visit blue mountain ..

Sorry for the noob question.. TIA

Suggest you just fly domestic, not worth driving to syd unless you have plenty of time..

My suggestion is

4 day GOR & Grampians
1 or 2 days Yarra Valley or mornington/phillip island
1 or 2 days Melb city
1 or 2 days Syd/Bondi etc
1 day Blue mountains

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doing same Melbourne-Sydney route. Fly from Melbourne-Sydney by Jetstar. Otherwise driving takes at least 9 to 10 hours on M31. One day gone.

tohms2002

Reaction score
Going : Melbourne / Dandenong / Mornington / Sorrento / Queenscliff / Geelong / GOR this Sun for 1wk self drive.

Any reasonable price and good seafood along the way to recommend?

1) Advance Mussel Supply near Portarlington.

2) .....

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Going : Melbourne / Dandenong / Mornington / Sorrento / Queenscliff / Geelong / GOR this Sun for 1wk self drive.

Any reasonable price and good seafood along the way to recommend?

1) Advance Mussel Supply near Portarlington.

2) .....

I like the fish and chips at torquay..

ZigguratZ

Reaction score
Suggest you just fly domestic, not worth driving to syd unless you have plenty of time..

My suggestion is

4 day GOR & Grampians
1 or 2 days Yarra Valley or mornington/phillip island
1 or 2 days Melb city
1 or 2 days Syd/Bondi etc
1 day Blue mountains

Is 4 days sufficient for exploring GOR and Grampians ? or will it be a bit too much ?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is 4 days sufficient for exploring GOR and Grampians ? or will it be a bit too much ?

Depends on whether you intend to explore bits and pieces of the GOR, if yes, then just stick to GOR alone

If not, if you're just going to see the 12 apostles, 1 night in Port Campbell, 2 nights at Halls Gap.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

10 days is probably not enough if you want to drive and also explore both cities. Domestic flights are plentiful. If you're coming back from GOR via Geelong, then Avalon airport is very close by so it would save you some driving. Jetstar flies from Avalon to Sydney daily. Although if you're going to the Grampians and most likely coming back via Ballarat, Tullamarine would be a much more suitable airport to fly out from. Just be careful that some car rental companies would charge a one-way fee for picking up in the city and dropping off at the airport.

And I also agree with others that you should probably spend the majority of the days in Melbourne.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.