My Melbourne Itinerary

xxSaDanxx

Reaction score
My advice when it comes to car rental is - get travel insurance that covers car rental damage, e.g. NTUC income.

Hi Comage. Thanks and appreciate your detailed true story.
I fully agree with you on paying more to get newer cars and lower (or 0) excess.

So far, even the Big 3 also cannot book the specific car model. Hertz stated as 'Subaru Forester or similar'.

I went through the Big 3. So far more user friendly is Europcar and Hertz. Europcar rates seems to be more transparent. Will you recommend to book direct or is there any 3th-parties website for discount?

The Borealis show venue changes every few months, last year for the first time show in Sept was at Daylesford Lake so you may want to check again closer to your date.

Thanks once again LaiHam or the lengthy reply. I'll read up on what you recommended. I've also exchange a few thousands on Youtrip as per your advise.

Any idea for accomd/car bookings and payments, are we able to use Youtrip? Do we need to input YT card details during booking/ reservation online? Or can we booked using other credit card, and use YT for payment onsite?

Please skip the royal melb show.. its rubbish.. long Qs and all, not worth your time.

Hi beano. Thanks for dropping by and replying. I read previous posts (2018 onward?) and you gave alot of good advises.

Do share if you have any interesting place to visit. I have a full day (day 6 of itinerary) to plan.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you into national parks and walking?

Plenty to walk in/around You yangs/Mount Macedon/

LaiHam

Reaction score
Hi Comage. Thanks and appreciate your detailed true story.
I fully agree with you on paying more to get newer cars and lower (or 0) excess.

So far, even the Big 3 also cannot book the specific car model. Hertz stated as 'Subaru Forester or similar'.

I went through the Big 3. So far more user friendly is Europcar and Hertz. Europcar rates seems to be more transparent. Will you recommend to book direct or is there any 3th-parties website for discount?

Thanks once again LaiHam or the lengthy reply. I'll read up on what you recommended. I've also exchange a few thousands on Youtrip as per your advise.

Any idea for accomd/car bookings and payments, are we able to use Youtrip? Do we need to input YT card details during booking/ reservation online? Or can we booked using other credit card, and use YT for payment onsite?

Hi beano. Thanks for dropping by and replying. I read previous posts (2018 onward?) and you gave alot of good advises.

Do share if you have any interesting place to visit. I have a full day (day 6 of itinerary) to plan.
Yeah the long Q is something to endure. I always skip the rides and go straight to produce, food tasting and show bags.

I used youtrip cards for most online purchase (if scam/fraud, you can quickly lock the card). And yes, I've used for bookings etc using YT, same like any other cards for both online and onsite payment.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, i also suggest if you're doing GOR, do the loop, can go all the way to Warnambool and Port Fairy.. then head up to Halls Gap/Grampians, plenty to do there if you're in to nature.. then back through Ararat/Ballarat. Spend 4-5 days

You can't cover a lot of things in 9 days, just have to pick and choose, if not you'll be scratching the surface trying to cramp everything.

xxSaDanxx

Reaction score
Are you into national parks and walking?

Thanks! I'll read up on them.
Yeah the long Q is something to endure. I always skip the rides and go straight to produce, food tasting and show bags.

I used youtrip cards for most online purchase (if scam/fraud, you can quickly lock the card). And yes, I've used for bookings etc using YT, same like any other cards for both online and onsite payment.

Got it! Think I'll follow your style. Change cash A$200, rest all YT.

Btw, i also suggest if you're doing GOR, do the loop, can go all the way to Warnambool and Port Fairy.. then head up to Halls Gap/Grampians, plenty to do there if you're in to nature.. then back through Ararat/Ballarat. Spend 4-5 days

You can't cover a lot of things in 9 days, just have to pick and choose, if not you'll be scratching the surface trying to cramp everything.

Was thinking of going Warnambool and Port Fairy too. Do you highly recommend spending 1 night at Warnambool /Port Fairy? Anything that is special compare to Port Campbell?

Don't think I got enough time to cover Halls Gap/Grampians for this trip. But thanks for the suggestion.

Questions:

Can I can telco e-sim upon clearing the custom? I need my SG number for incoming-outgoing call due to work nature. Any chance for me to purchase a Aust. e-sim, so I can retain my SG no. for call, but use the data from the esim? If yes, any recommendation? Seems like Otpus not bad.

SG roaming data not that cheap and low capacity also. I'm on Singtel and using iphone 14, so e-sim i think no issue.

Comage

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When booking vehicles, always go direct website. I don't bother trying to go through what 3rd party website like klook or https://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/

The most you want to use these, is for price comparisons or for the car model you want. Then go direct website book.

Too many horror cases of pple booking through these aggregators and then arriving to find their bookings non-existent at the rental company's systems.

Then when you try to place an international call to that aggregators site, oh they're not available 24/7 at the time you are in your holiday country! Or, you call that supposedly hotline number and they're at some obscure offshore country -2.5hrs behind Singapore timezone... And international rates kick in at $1/min... And the first thing the guy on the phone does is to place you on hold...

In the end? Fork out more money to get a last-minute vehicle at the rental company for 125%-150% price.

So, it's up to your risk appetite. Me, I travel with family, wife, kids, grandparents and all. So I don't have the time to sort these nonsense out when everyone is waiting and the clock is ticking.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll read up on them.

Got it! Think I'll follow your style. Change cash A$200, rest all YT.

Was thinking of going Warnambool and Port Fairy too. Do you highly recommend spending 1 night at Warnambool /Port Fairy? Anything that is special compare to Port Campbell?

Don't think I got enough time to cover Halls Gap/Grampians for this trip. But thanks for the suggestion.

Questions:

Can I can telco e-sim upon clearing the custom? I need my SG number for incoming-outgoing call due to work nature. Any chance for me to purchase a Aust. e-sim, so I can retain my SG no. for call, but use the data from the esim? If yes, any recommendation? Seems like Otpus not bad.

SG roaming data not that cheap and low capacity also. I'm on Singtel and using iphone 14, so e-sim i think no issue.
Yes 1 night in Warnambool/Port fairy will be ideal and it's a bigger town compared to PC.

Look up Amaysim for e-sim.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.