Perth (Lots of advice & help needed please!)

kidz

Reaction score
Thanks. I have planned 1 or 2 stops enroute to Albany. If not 5 hours not sustainable even if well rested.

The last full day 2 hrs drive to Lancelin and Pinnacle, is there much to do at these 2 spots? I thought is just see the sights and play abit of sand dune right. 2 hrs at each spot should be enough?

Or if you have any recommendation nearer that would be welcomed. That last day I didn't find anything interesting to do hence thought go abit North.
I've not went up north coz i felt its boring. haha...
but spending 2 hours to drive up and 2 hours down is abit waste of time to me.

As you are travelling downwards, do remember to go to the pink lake to have a look

gnooliew

Reaction score
I've not went up north coz i felt its boring. haha...
but spending 2 hours to drive up and 2 hours down is abit waste of time to me.

As you are travelling downwards, do remember to go to the pink lake to have a look
The Cranbrook ones? Yeah, thinking of detouring out from the Albany Highway to take a look and u-turn back to the highway after that.
I heard it's along a highway and nowhere to stop, so can only drive past right

Keng see

Reaction score
Is it necessary to drive in australia? Be it melb, perth or sydney
Would travelling with friends miss out experiences if we don't drive? TIA

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to drive in australia? Be it melb, perth or sydney
Would travelling with friends miss out experiences if we don't drive? TIA
Perth definitely, Melb/Syd you can get away with public transport and some tours..

neumannn

Reaction score
Hi gurus, I'll be travelling in end April/early May with my wife and 2 young kids (3y.o. & 5y.o.). As this is our newbie first trip to Australia, would really appreciate your advice for ideas for Day 2 - Day 6 of the itinerary. Thank you so much!

Day 1 Thu: Depart SG for Perth. Reach Perth in evening 8pm.
Day 2 Fri: [For ideas] (accom at Perth city?). King's Park, Fri late night shopping, Hillary Harbour Elizabeth Quay
Day 3 Sat: [For ideas] (accom at Fremantle?). Cavensham wildlife park. Whiteman Park. Pia's playspace.
Day 4 Sun: [For ideas] Fremantle market
Day 5 Mon: [For ideas] Lancelin/Sand dunes?
Day 6 Tue: [For ideas] Pirate cruise at Mandurrah?
Day 7 Wed: Farmstay at MR (already booked)
Day 8 Thu: Farmstay at MR (already booked)
Day 9 Fri: Farmstay at MR (already booked)
Day 10 Sat: Depart Perth at 6pm for SG.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi gurus, I'll be travelling in end April/early May with my wife and 2 young kids (3y.o. & 5y.o.). As this is our newbie first trip to Australia, would really appreciate your advice for ideas for Day 2 - Day 6 of the itinerary. Thank you so much!

Day 1 Thu: Depart SG for Perth. Reach Perth in evening 8pm.
Day 2 Fri: [For ideas] (accom at Perth city?). King's Park, Fri late night shopping, Hillary Harbour Elizabeth Quay
Day 3 Sat: [For ideas] (accom at Fremantle?). Cavensham wildlife park. Whiteman Park. Pia's playspace.
Day 4 Sun: [For ideas] Fremantle market
Day 5 Mon: [For ideas] Lancelin/Sand dunes?
Day 6 Tue: [For ideas] Pirate cruise at Mandurrah?
Day 7 Wed: Farmstay at MR (already booked)
Day 8 Thu: Farmstay at MR (already booked)
Day 9 Fri: Farmstay at MR (already booked)
Day 10 Sat: Depart Perth at 6pm for SG.

If you're in Perth area, just stay in 1 place.. Fremantle should be good base for your day 1 to 6.

Maybe you can do 1 day Rottnest island as well

neumannn

Reaction score
If you're in Perth area, just stay in 1 place.. Fremantle should be good base for your day 1 to 6.

Maybe you can do 1 day Rottnest island as well
thank you Beano! :)

As I will be visiting Cavensham wildlife park (closer to perth city than freemantle) on day 2 or 3, would it be better to stay at Perth city or CBD instead of fremantle? Thinking of relying on cab/uber for day1-3 and self drive from Day 4 onward as I've heard that parking might be challenging in perth city with exhorbitant fees.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you Beano! :)

As I will be visiting Cavensham wildlife park (closer to perth city than freemantle) on day 2 or 3, would it be better to stay at Perth city or CBD instead of fremantle? Thinking of relying on cab/uber for day1-3 and self drive from Day 4 onward as I've heard that parking might be challenging in perth city with exhorbitant fees.
Not much difference in terms of distance, i reckon its maybe 20mins more in travelling time.

1 day in Perth CBD itself should be sufficient, i think there are parking which are $18-20 a day, it'll be good to drive if you also heading to King's park which is near the city

GeSteSoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Going to Perth in June with the family.

Self-drive. Would like to get some inputs if my itinerary is practical. Any recommendation on hotels/accom at the various places would be good as well.

13-Jun-24​
ThuPerth Airport to Albany
14-Jun-24​
FriAlbany
15-Jun-24​
SatDenmark
Walpole
Pemberton / Manjimup
16-Jun-24​
SunPemberton / Manjimup
17-Jun-24​
MonMargaret River
18-Jun-24​
TueMargaret River
19-Jun-24​
WedDunsborough / Bunker Bay
20-Jun-24​
ThuBusselton / Bunbury
21-Jun-24​
FriCaversham Wildlife Park
22-Jun-24​
SatLancelin Sand dunes
Pinnacle Desert
23-Jun-24​
SunPerth Airport

9ecFu2I.jpeg
LQZ87RH.jpeg

Didnt plan Esperance? Has one of the most beautiful beaches in WA, great coastal drive with a caravan.

gnooliew

Reaction score
9ecFu2I.jpeg
LQZ87RH.jpeg

Didnt plan Esperance? Has one of the most beautiful beaches in WA, great coastal drive with a caravan.
Did consider but would probably need another 3 days or more. Perhaps save for another trip when need to clear more leave days. For me at least, I find that when travelling with kid, anything more than 10 days becomes a chore...lol

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not much difference in terms of distance, i reckon its maybe 20mins more in travelling time.

1 day in Perth CBD itself should be sufficient, i think there are parking which are $18-20 a day, it'll be good to drive if you also heading to King's park which is near the city
I read perth city has a list of car parks that charged $4.50 per hours and capped at $13 per day.

https://www.cityofperthparking.com.au/whats-new/13-all-day-parking

Not so sure whether this info is up to date or not.

TOKARA

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am heading to Margaret river

do i rent nobird car for 100km/day or unlimited km? Margaret River is 300km away

gnooliew

Reaction score
Looking at sim cards for data+local call.. considering amaysim and Lebara as they have esim options. Any feedback on their coverage especially outside city or in MR region, etc. Understand Telstra supposedly said to have better coverage, but costs double.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking at sim cards for data+local call.. considering amaysim and Lebara as they have esim options. Any feedback on their coverage especially outside city or in MR region, etc. Understand Telstra supposedly said to have better coverage, but costs double.
Those tourist areas mostly covered.. unless you really go off the beaten track. Optus is sufficient.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.