Rental car booking : online vs counter?

mds8080

Reaction score
Nope, we didn't get GPS.
We bought SIM card + data to use google map.

Hi can advise roughly how much data did you use for 1 week of navigation? I will be going to Melbourne and thinking of getting a data sim purely for navigation use only. I'm not sure how much data I need.

Kevin10

Master Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Gold Coast and Brisbane. Rented from apex.
Aud 294 for a week (Hyundai Elantra), zero excess, no additional fees for extra drivers and no extra charge for drivers below 25 years of age.

Hi, how was it from Apex ?? Mine will be next month.. :D:D

Are you back from the trip already ? Or have yet to go ? I was also looking at it this afternoon.

Hi Edwan, nope. Mine is next month, heres my package:
1 x Mid Size Sedan Auto (The Works) $52.00 per day $364.00
1 x Zero Excess $0.00 per day $0.00
1 x Unlimited KMs $0.00 per day $0.00
1 x GPS Navigation $0.00 per day $0.00

Hope that helps ! :D:D

kevin301

Reaction score
Short-listed Apax for now, will take a look at ACE.

My definition for attractive is based on your price you got especially in comparison to your previous S6 deal.. I have a finding, it is generally more expensive to rent from Goldcoast than from brisbane.

I am renting for 3 weeks, but the deals are such as , weekend offers or ,7 day GPS free. free upgrades, but not on the actual rental price. Maybe its during this period of the year.

Have rented from both Brisbane and Gold Coast, and find that generally they're about the same in terms of pricing. Also depends on the season I suppose.

My SV6 deal for 1 week (about $290; = $40+ per day) included a free day rental and also high excess ($3000), so if anything had happened it would have been an expensive holiday.

kevin301

Reaction score
Hi can advise roughly how much data did you use for 1 week of navigation? I will be going to Melbourne and thinking of getting a data sim purely for navigation use only. I'm not sure how much data I need.

I reckon it shouldn't be more than 50MB for several hours of navigation using Google Maps. The roads are easier to navigate than in Singapore or Malaysia, so even without GPS it's quite easy to get around just by printed maps.

I normally use Optus $2/day plan with 500MB included data per day. More than sufficient for my needs including navigation. Don't really need a dedicated SIM card for navigation.

Last edited:

Edwan@

Reaction score
Hi, how was it from Apex ?? Mine will be next month.. :D:D

Hi Edwan, nope. Mine is next month, heres my package:
1 x Mid Size Sedan Auto (The Works) $52.00 per day $364.00
1 x Zero Excess $0.00 per day $0.00
1 x Unlimited KMs $0.00 per day $0.00
1 x GPS Navigation $0.00 per day $0.00

Hope that helps ! :D:D

Will most likely go with them as well, but as per seen online, there is actually lots of mixed reviews, Extreme bad and extreme good. well , guess its a gamble

Edwan@

Reaction score
I reckon it shouldn't be more than 50MB for several hours of navigation using Google Maps. The roads are easier to navigate than in Singapore or Malaysia, so even without GPS it's quite easy to get around just by printed maps.

I normally use Optus $2/day plan with 500MB included data per day. More than sufficient for my needs including navigation. Don't really need a dedicated SIM card for navigation.

That's really a great advice. Thanks ! will probably do that, I was wondering is it as confusing as Malaysia's roads.

Kevin10

Master Member
Reaction score
Will most likely go with them as well, but as per seen online, there is actually lots of mixed reviews, Extreme bad and extreme good. well , guess its a gamble

Is it ?? Pray that mine goes smoothly. :D:D

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Booked Hatch , but could get Elantra sedan for same price from Hertz but excess was 4k:eek:

I suggest u pay more for the collision damage waiver or some protections cover which cost about $30 a day and will reduce your excess to $500 if your car rental company provided it. Do note that U may liable to pay the excess even it is not your fault.

mds8080

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing! In that case 1GB is more than enough and can play clash of clans when I'm taking a break from driving :D

pjs

Reaction score
I suggest u pay more for the collision damage waiver or some protections cover which cost about $30 a day and will reduce your excess to $500 if your car rental company provided it. Do note that U may liable to pay the excess even it is not your fault.

That's why booked from Bayswater, excess $500.

If book from HZ with excess reduction cost is almost double.

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
That's why booked from Bayswater, excess $500.

If book from HZ with excess reduction cost is almost double.

I feel hertz and avis charged the most highest for car rental in Australia.

I always avoid this 2 rental companies. Tried both europcar and thirty. No issues with them.

Lordzephyr9

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, how did u get such good deals? Tried looking online and all charges for gps, excess etc. end up it would cost abt 140 a day for mpv. Should I go down to the Melbourne airport and book? Noticed it's more exp to collect the car from airport than from town even though they provide shuttle service. Is it recommend?

Edwan@

Reaction score
Guys, how did u get such good deals? Tried looking online and all charges for gps, excess etc. end up it would cost abt 140 a day for mpv. Should I go down to the Melbourne airport and book? Noticed it's more exp to collect the car from airport than from town even though they provide shuttle service. Is it recommend?

I used to have the same thoughts as you , but after i keep looking and waiting for deals, you will soon be able to get it. Unless you are in a rush

kevin301

Reaction score
I feel hertz and avis charged the most highest for car rental in Australia.

I always avoid this 2 rental companies. Tried both europcar and thirty. No issues with them.

Generally true but not always. They are big global brands and generally command a premium.
Last year I actually booked with Thrifty already, then discovered a better deal with Hertz. Quickly cancelled :)

Cheepoozz

Reaction score
Do you buy excess reduction from them? Seems quite expensive.
OR just use coverage from travel insurance.
Thanks

Back from my WA trip. the 3.5litre V6 Toyota Kluger is a wonderful car.
powerful and enough space for my 6 adults and 2 kids . Apparently lacking is on the booth space whereby we had to get our friends there to send our bags to the airport.

for AUD395 for 5days is quite good price.
Petrol is AUD1.16 cheapest at Caltex ( canningvale area) elsewhere is around 1.3-1.4. Full tank for the Kluger is < $70 bucks.

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.