HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Rental car booking : online vs counter?

Like Tree152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

I've been simulating a few scenarios of rental dates and pick-up/return locations for my upcoming trip, at the website of Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty, Hertz, and Apex (with the extras of child seat and excess reduction). The rates from Apex is always FAR cheaper than everybody else. To the extend that I'm thinking, "what's the catch"? (aside from its inconvenient location near airport but not at airport itself).
I think I saw somebody with good comment on Apex somewhere in another thread here in HWZ. Anybody else have ever rented with Apex?
liemsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #17

I've been simulating a few scenarios of rental dates and pick-up/return locations for my upcoming trip, at the website of Avis, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty, Hertz, and Apex (with the extras of child seat and excess reduction). The rates from Apex is always FAR cheaper than everybody else. To the extend that I'm thinking, "what's the catch"? (aside from its inconvenient location near airport but not at airport itself).
I think I saw somebody with good comment on Apex somewhere in another thread here in HWZ. Anybody else have ever rented with Apex?
I am curious about Apex too but have not booked from them before.
Would be curious to read your review if you do decide to go with them!
Which city, by the way?
kevin301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #18

I am curious about Apex too but have not booked from them before.
Would be curious to read your review if you do decide to go with them!
Which city, by the way?
Kevin - I have been intensively hunting for Melbourne city. But it seems that also for Sydney their rate is quite good.
Unless I get any very negative review, most likely I'm going to go with Apex. Not only their rate is much cheaper (with zero excess, child seats and GPS included), the car model is also specified (unlike most others that say "XYZ car or similar").
I'm thinking of emailing them to clarify about their insurance coverage. Anything else that I should ask/clarify with them?
Old 21-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
Master Member

Apex looks good, about AUD 60 cheaper than Budget.com.au

I might book Apex for my 2 day self drive to Great Ocean Road!

Thinking of getting the carefree coastal package coz my personal travel insurance will cover up to $750 excess
leogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #20

Apex looks good, about AUD 60 cheaper than Budget.com.au

I might book Apex for my 2 day self drive to Great Ocean Road!

Thinking of getting the carefree coastal package coz my personal travel insurance will cover up to $750 excess
I have same thing in mind No need for "The Work" package, as the $500 excess can be covered by travel insurance, and GPS can rely on Google Map on phone
I initially planned to rent car for two days at the beginning part and another two days at the closing part of my Melbourne trip. But now with Apex, I think it's best for me to keep the car for the whole 6 days (save me from going back and forth to their place near airport to pick-up/drop the car). Furthermore, with Apex, the rate/day becomes cheaper with more days we rent.

Btw - when are you going?
Old 21-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #21

Kevin - I have been intensively hunting for Melbourne city. But it seems that also for Sydney their rate is quite good.
Unless I get any very negative review, most likely I'm going to go with Apex. Not only their rate is much cheaper (with zero excess, child seats and GPS included), the car model is also specified (unlike most others that say "XYZ car or similar").
I'm thinking of emailing them to clarify about their insurance coverage. Anything else that I should ask/clarify with them?
Hmmm can't think of anything else.
I'm probably more slack than you with regards to rental cars...!
Old 21-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #22

Hmmm can't think of anything else.
I'm probably more slack than you with regards to rental cars...!
Paiseh ah... noobie here, hence kiasu+kiasi loh
But seriously, the more I read those rental car's fine prints, the more cautious I become. So many different things / clause that could be not covered by the insurance. I just learnt recently that the tyres and windscreen are usually not covered. Single vehicle accident and multi vehicle (collision) is also different coverage. Headache ah..
Old 22-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #23

Paiseh ah... noobie here, hence kiasu+kiasi loh
But seriously, the more I read those rental car's fine prints, the more cautious I become. So many different things / clause that could be not covered by the insurance. I just learnt recently that the tyres and windscreen are usually not covered. Single vehicle accident and multi vehicle (collision) is also different coverage. Headache ah..
good to be prepared.
Had a friend who didn't take sufficient insurance coverage. Was caught in the freak hailstorm of 1999 where ice balls the size of tennis balls fell from the sky. Had to pay quite high excess for body and glass damage.
Old 22-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #24

I usually book with the bigger companies such as hertz, budget or avis.

During my last trip to Melbourne, when I was returning the car at the airport, I noticed someone who was returning a car to one of the smaller companies, and the driver was arguing with the rental company rep on a mark which I could not see on the front bumper.

Seems like the rental company wants to charge the driver for the mark on the bumper. I could not see any dents on the bumper tho. I compare it to my experience with hertz which I rented from. My rental car was just accepted by hertz without this type of detailed inspection, and I just felt glad I paid extra for hertz.
desboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #25

I usually book with the bigger companies such as hertz, budget or avis.

During my last trip to Melbourne, when I was returning the car at the airport, I noticed someone who was returning a car to one of the smaller companies, and the driver was arguing with the rental company rep on a mark which I could not see on the front bumper.

Seems like the rental company wants to charge the driver for the mark on the bumper. I could not see any dents on the bumper tho. I compare it to my experience with hertz which I rented from. My rental car was just accepted by hertz without this type of detailed inspection, and I just felt glad I paid extra for hertz.
I guess that rental company also had prior bad experience with renters causing too much damage to the car. Or just an overzealous staff member trying to get credit for increasing company profit

So far have not had issues, even with the more 'budget' rental companies such as Bayswater in Perth n Sydney. This despite also driving through some unsealed roads and returning a car covered in reddish dust... lol.
Old 22-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #26

Apex is good... their car are all less than 1 year old and the rates are fantastic too... it is a NZ company and their customer service is excellent too.. I rented from them in Melbourne and they gave me a car with only 17km mileage
Old 22-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #27

Apex is good... their car are all less than 1 year old and the rates are fantastic too... it is a NZ company and their customer service is excellent too.. I rented from them in Melbourne and they gave me a car with only 17km mileage
This is encouraging Let's also hear from leogeo when he comes back from Gold Coast. My trip is still in April
Ah one more good thing about Apex, their grace period for returning the car seems to be the longest too (2 hours). Others are mostly either 30 mins or 1 hour. So, if you start at 9:00am, you can return at 10:59am without additional charge
Old 23-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #28

This is encouraging Let's also hear from leogeo when he comes back from Gold Coast. My trip is still in April
Ah one more good thing about Apex, their grace period for returning the car seems to be the longest too (2 hours). Others are mostly either 30 mins or 1 hour. So, if you start at 9:00am, you can return at 10:59am without additional charge
wah first time I heard of grace period...
Old 24-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #29
Master Member

i'm gg to Melbourne next month (15 Feb). Renting 2 days to go St Kilda and Great Ocean Road. Will check with my travel buddies if tey ok with Apex.
Old 24-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #30
Master Member

mostly positive reviews, though a couple of negative ones
Apex Car Rentals Australia - Melbourne Forum - TripAdvisor
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.