Rental car booking : online vs counter?

veryred

Reaction score
hey guys i'm back! time for my turn to share.

rented an Elantra from Apex in Gold Coast with $500 excess.

Picking Up
Picking up the car was hassle free! Just use a payphone to call the toll free number to get them to pick you up when you arrive. The pick up point is at the open carpark outside the airport. They will arrive in a black van in less than 5mins after you hang up the phone and drive you to their shop.

At the shop, payment has to be made before you get your car. Note that if you pass by any toll, Apex will charge an administrative fee of AUD $3.30 per day on top of any toll charges. This will be charged to your credit card. The staff will show you to your car then indicate on a paper which part of the car has dents / major scratches etc etc so that they will know it's not caused by you during return.

Returning Car
Returning was fast as well. We reached the shop at 7.15am and we were the only people returning the car. Once the staff check through your car, they will send you to the airport. We were queuing at the airport at 7.30am. :)

Fuel Consumption
We found the car to be very fuel efficient.. but then again, maybe our car in SG is a fuel drinker. Haha. We topped up less than AUD $100 for our 8days. We travelled from GC to Brisbane twice during the trip though because we wanted to go back to the DFO on our 2nd last day.

We would use Apex again definitely!

how much did you pay for ur rental?

Crazy85

Reaction score
hey guys i'm back! time for my turn to share.

rented an Elantra from Apex in Gold Coast with $500 excess.

Picking Up
Picking up the car was hassle free! Just use a payphone to call the toll free number to get them to pick you up when you arrive. The pick up point is at the open carpark outside the airport. They will arrive in a black van in less than 5mins after you hang up the phone and drive you to their shop.

At the shop, payment has to be made before you get your car. Note that if you pass by any toll, Apex will charge an administrative fee of AUD $3.30 per day on top of any toll charges. This will be charged to your credit card. The staff will show you to your car then indicate on a paper which part of the car has dents / major scratches etc etc so that they will know it's not caused by you during return.

Returning Car
Returning was fast as well. We reached the shop at 7.15am and we were the only people returning the car. Once the staff check through your car, they will send you to the airport. We were queuing at the airport at 7.30am. :)

Fuel Consumption
We found the car to be very fuel efficient.. but then again, maybe our car in SG is a fuel drinker. Haha. We topped up less than AUD $100 for our 8days. We travelled from GC to Brisbane twice during the trip though because we wanted to go back to the DFO on our 2nd last day.

We would use Apex again definitely!

Hi nlee84, may I know how many ppl were there for this trip? I intend to rent the i20 as we only have 2 of us travelling.

And do you know what time they open? 7 or 730?

CRViper

Reaction score
Hi nlee84, may I know how many ppl were there for this trip? I intend to rent the i20 as we only have 2 of us travelling.

Got back frm GC few weeks ago n rented frm Apex. They open at 7am

Happy with Apex car rental n didn't have any issue at all.

kevin301

Reaction score
Hi, i paid $296 AUD for 7 days... there's a AUD $5 off the total price if you like their FB page. :) Usual price is AUD $301.

I paid A$248 for 7 days rental.... :)

for this
Sydney-6s_zpsf0a30ffe.jpg

but of course the insurance coverage much less than with the option you chose with Apex... ;)

fuschia

Reaction score
I paid A$248 for 7 days rental.... :)

for this
Sydney-6s_zpsf0a30ffe.jpg

but of course the insurance coverage much less than with the option you chose with Apex... ;)
did you use Apex as well? my quote for 8 days (full works) is $458. kinda high compared to yours..

nlee84

Reaction score

hey, they open at 7am.

only 2 of us in the elantra. :)

nlee84

Reaction score
did you use Apex as well? my quote for 8 days (full works) is $458. kinda high compared to yours..

if u have travel insurance with excess - usually SGD $500 to $1000, then you can get the Apex AUD $500 excess plan lor.

fuschia

Reaction score
if u have travel insurance with excess - usually SGD $500 to $1000, then you can get the Apex AUD $500 excess plan lor.
Thanks for pointing out. Will check for such when i buy travel insurance. But i dun hv a GPS. Hmm...headache.

veryred

Reaction score
booked apex sydney, 5 days $198 aus with insurance, no excess for hyundai electra. good deal me thinks

kevin301

Reaction score

No I rented from Hertz. There was a discount code offered. Rate reduced from 300+ to 248.
But the penalty was the much higher risk I had to bear, due to reduced coverage.

kevin301

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out. Will check for such when i buy travel insurance. But i dun hv a GPS. Hmm...headache.

Google Maps works quie well. GPS rental usually > data SIM
Can even survive with printed travel maps :)

fuschia

Reaction score
No I rented from Hertz. There was a discount code offered. Rate reduced from 300+ to 248.
But the penalty was the much higher risk I had to bear, due to reduced coverage.
i see. Thanks for sharing. I select the best package. Maybe shd just opt for second best.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.