Southern Lights - Aurora Australis

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any know how lightly or frequently this appeared in NZ or Australia? Rarer than than the COE coming down?

Anyone actually seen while in NZ or Australia?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Any know how lightly or frequently this appeared in NZ or Australia? Rarer than than the COE coming down?

Anyone actually seen while in NZ or Australia?

For ones that you can see clearly, yes, it's just about as rare as COE being abolished. Your best chance is in southern parts of Tasmania, and southern parts of the NZ south island.

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For ones that you can see clearly, yes, it's just about as rare as COE being abolished. Your best chance is in southern parts of Tasmania, and southern parts of the NZ south island.

thank you andy, so now better dont pinch too much of hope of seeing such lights in the southern hemisphere.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
even if not visible to the eye, if you use the camera and take long exposure shots, you can still catch it on camera.

alpc

Reaction score
They just had one of the better display since the time I started tracking it. The photos are great and it's visible to the eye too.

One way is to join the aurora australis tasmania fb group to find out more about locations, etc. Usually NZ would be a better place to be but don't hold your breathe for it. Have not found a FB group for NZ yet to track.

Due to how the land mass is in the southern side, it is not as frequently spotted as it would be in the northern side. Had seen it twice in 2 trips (6 days in total) in the Northern side, Southern side is still elusive! So this is more rare to me!

Last edited:

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
even if not visible to the eye, if you use the camera and take long exposure shots, you can still catch it on camera.

They just had one of the better display since the time I started tracking it. The photos are great and it's visible to the eye too.

One way is to join the aurora australis tasmania fb group to find out more about locations, etc. Usually NZ would be a better place to be but don't hold your breathe for it. Have not found a FB group for NZ yet to track.

Due to how the land mass is in the southern side, it is not as frequently spotted as it would be in the northern side. Had seen it twice in 2 trips (6 days in total) in the Northern side, Southern side is still elusive! So this is more rare to me!

thank you.

I think better for me to stick to northern hemisphere for now, at least chances a little higher.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My take is, going on a holiday to see a natural phenomena is really hit and miss and need a bit of luck..

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My take is, going on a holiday to see a natural phenomena is really hit and miss and need a bit of luck..

agree but i guess since my plan is to mainly chase the light, i guess heading to the northern hemisphere for me would be higher chance for me.

i would not mind to depend on luck if the main objective of visiting the southern hemisphere is not about chasing the light.

anpontan

Reaction score
will be going there during the easter period, not sure if we can even catch a glimpse of it

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.