HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sydney

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #16

Didnt want to start a new thread, but was wondering if I could get any help here.

As scoot is having 1 for 1 flights to sydney, i am contemplating booking a pair.(total cost $855 for 2)

However, I would really like to visit melbourne while I am there. Is there anyway I could squeeze melbourne + Great ocean road in while I am there for only 12days?

Option 1 is to book a 2 way domestic flight (last checked cost about 200AUD)
Land in sydney, straight domestic flight to melbourne and rent a car there to do my GOR and philip island then domestic flight back to sydney a couple of days

OR

Option 2 is to rent a car, costal route down, philip island, melbourne city, GOR then domestic flight back up (One way domestic about 100AUD)

Option 3

YOLO and drive both ways (scared no time)

Option 4

Don't be a idiot and wait for a sale for non-budget airlines which I can do an open jaw flight

The sights I would love to see -

Sydney city (How many days I need here? 2 full days enough?
Blue mountains
Melbourne city (Same as above?)
Philip island
Great ocean road

Anything else would be a plus

Budget is a concern so nothing over the top
Only $855 for 2 pax? Thats cheaper than mine. How I wish to go to Melbourne too but I only hsve a week
Jench1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #17

Is Jenolan Cave worth going? If so, is half day enough or need a day?
Old 05-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

Harro guys and gals, any comment on this itinerary?

Day 1
Land quite late so not really anything to do here, just gonna check in roam around and go dinner.

Day 2
Day Tour (engaging tour company I guess)
Jenolan Cave + Blue Moutain + Three Sister Rock Formation + Featherdale Wildlife Park

Day 3
Road Trip to Wolloongong/Kiama and back -- should we include Jervis Bay or is that too ambitious for 1 day?

Day 4
Sydney Opera House Breakfast, Sydney Habour Bridge, The Rocks,
Cousin Wedding 3pm til late

Day 5
Eveleigh Farmers' Market, Sydney Fish Market for Lunch, Paddington Market, Bondi Beach, Manly Beach
Family Dinner 6pm til late

Day 6
Road Trip to Newcastle/North, Darling Habour Hurricane Ribs Dinner

Day 7
Flight to Melbourne
I'm thinking of renting car from airport on day 1 and back to airport on day 7 but like quite 'wasted' eh especially since many days don't really need it. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #19

Is Jenolan Cave worth going? If so, is half day enough or need a day?
If you have been to a limestone cave before, then it may not be so interesting to you. The journey from Sydney to Jenolan Caves is at least 2hrs. So 1/2 day trip not possible.
kevin301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #20

Harro guys and gals, any comment on this itinerary?

I'm thinking of renting car from airport on day 1 and back to airport on day 7 but like quite 'wasted' eh especially since many days don't really need it. Any suggestions?
Usually 3 or 4 day rental is not much different from 1 week rental.

It depends on where you'll be staying too. Hotels in the city do not come with free parking, so it can end up being quite costly.

Day 3 possible to include Jervis Bay, especially if just to look-see (i.e. nothing too time-consuming).

Last edited by kevin301; 06-10-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #21

Here is my itinerary for my Sydney trip. Please give me advice if possible.

Day 1: Reach Sydney around noon. Plan to rent a car and drive to Blue Mountain and stay there for the night.

Day 2: Explore Blue Mountain and Jenolan Cave and back to Blue Mountain to stay for the night

Day 3: Drive to Wollongong and back to Sydney.

Day 4-7: Explore Sydney City

Is this feasible?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Supremacy Member

Usually 3 or 4 day rental is not much different from 1 week rental.

It depends on where you'll be staying too. Hotels in the city do not come with free parking, so it can end up being quite costly.

Day 3 possible to include Jervis Bay, especially if just to look-see (i.e. nothing too time-consuming).
Thanks, Day 3 I was thinking of early morning start shooting straight to Jervis Bay try to catch a whale or dolphin watching cruise (departs at 10.30am) ... then lunch and then do the "road trip" thingy on the way back.

I'm staying at coogee beach area at some place off airbnb with "ample free street parking" according to the description. Like you said it seems the extra cost of renting a car the extra 2 days doesn't seem that expensive especially as it's offset by the convenience of driving from the airport direct to coogee.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #23

I'm staying at coogee beach area at some place off airbnb with "ample free street parking" according to the description. Like you said it seems the extra cost of renting a car the extra 2 days doesn't seem that expensive especially as it's offset by the convenience of driving from the airport direct to coogee.
You can do the 4 hr Coogee to Bondi coastal walk, since you're near there. It's pretty.
fantas1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #24

Here is my itinerary for my Sydney trip. Please give me advice if possible.

Day 1: Reach Sydney around noon. Plan to rent a car and drive to Blue Mountain and stay there for the night.

Day 2: Explore Blue Mountain and Jenolan Cave and back to Blue Mountain to stay for the night

Day 3: Drive to Wollongong and back to Sydney.

Day 4-7: Explore Sydney City

Is this feasible?
Sounds all right. Some bigger considerations:

1) If you're arriving on a weekend, might be better to do the markets first. Cos the main markets which are clustered near or in the city: Eveleigh Markets (for organic farmer stuff), Paddington markets, Rocks Markets only open during the Sats and/or Sundays.

2) The road from Katoomba to Jenolan caves can be quite difficult and winding drive, so you may want to take it slowly and rotate drivers esp. after a long 8 hr flight and +3 hrs jetlag .

3) If you're using a GPS, be careful not to take the fastest and shortest route to Wollongong. IMO, there's nothing much in Wollongong; is just a bigger city with more people. You would want to explore the surrounding areas by the coast nearer north and south of Wollongong. GPS usually route the inland Hume highway A31, that bypasses the coastal attractions. To avoid that, key in the coastal attraction directly (for example sea cliff bridge) and not Wollongong, and let GPS route using the coastal road which branches from the M1 highway. It's advisable to do the coastal scenic drive on your way to Wollongong and not on your way back to Sydney. The attractions are more accessible southward than northward.

Also, if you're driving from blue mountain, you may be routed to M7 or M5 (which are both toll roads) to M1. Not to worry, you can just drive pass but remember to login to etags website to pay for the toll before you return the car. Otherwise, you will be slapped with a heavy administrative fine.

4) Coastal road is winding and cuts across national park. It is called the Grand Pacific Scenic drive.

4) gobirds.com.au is a good rental car company to use.
fantas1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #25

Thanks, Day 3 I was thinking of early morning start shooting straight to Jervis Bay try to catch a whale or dolphin watching cruise (departs at 10.30am) ... then lunch and then do the "road trip" thingy on the way back.

Sounds like a plan!
If I receive any discount codes for car rental (e.g. rent 6 days get 1 day free), I'll try to inform you if I remember
Congee area has plenty of street parking as long as you're away from the main beach area. Be sure to check the signposts. Sometimes a limited duration (1, 2 hour) is specified.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #26

Sounds all right. Some bigger considerations:

1) If you're arriving on a weekend, might be better to do the markets first. Cos the main markets which are clustered near or in the city: Eveleigh Markets (for organic farmer stuff), Paddington markets, Rocks Markets only open during the Sats and/or Sundays.

2) The road from Katoomba to Jenolan caves can be quite difficult and winding drive, so you may want to take it slowly and rotate drivers esp. after a long 8 hr flight and +3 hrs jetlag .

3) If you're using a GPS, be careful not to take the fastest and shortest route to Wollongong. IMO, there's nothing much in Wollongong; is just a bigger city with more people. You would want to explore the surrounding areas by the coast nearer north and south of Wollongong. GPS usually route the inland Hume highway A31, that bypasses the coastal attractions. To avoid that, key in the coastal attraction directly (for example sea cliff bridge) and not Wollongong, and let GPS route using the coastal road which branches from the M1 highway. It's advisable to do the coastal scenic drive on your way to Wollongong and not on your way back to Sydney. The attractions are more accessible southward than northward.

Also, if you're driving from blue mountain, you may be routed to M7 or M5 (which are both toll roads) to M1. Not to worry, you can just drive pass but remember to login to etags website to pay for the toll before you return the car. Otherwise, you will be slapped with a heavy administrative fine.

4) Coastal road is winding and cuts across national park. It is called the Grand Pacific Scenic drive.

4) gobirds.com.au is a good rental car company to use.
Thank you for your feedback fantas1a.

I tried searching for gobirds.com.au but only leads me to new zealand rental company. Is this the correct address?

I plan to take the Grand Pacific Scenic drive. Any suggestion where to visit along the route? Sorry, was very occupied with my work, hence didn't do much research. Appreciate if anybody could help me out.

Thanks...
Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #27

Thank you for your feedback fantas1a.

I tried searching for gobirds.com.au but only leads me to new zealand rental company. Is this the correct address?

I plan to take the Grand Pacific Scenic drive. Any suggestion where to visit along the route? Sorry, was very occupied with my work, hence didn't do much research. Appreciate if anybody could help me out.

Thanks...
Maybe it is NO BIRDS ?

How far south along the Grand Pacific Drive do you plan to travel? The stretch just after the end of the Royal National Park is quite scenic, up till Kiama and onward to Jervis Bay.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #28

Maybe it is NO BIRDS ?

How far south along the Grand Pacific Drive do you plan to travel? The stretch just after the end of the Royal National Park is quite scenic, up till Kiama and onward to Jervis Bay.
I have only a day to explore.. starting from blue mountain to Grand Pacific Drive and back to Sydney... How far can I go?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #29

I have only a day to explore.. starting from blue mountain to Grand Pacific Drive and back to Sydney... How far can I go?
From Katoomba (assuming that's your start point in Blue Mountains), it's already a pretty long drive just to reach Wollonggong.
Not sure how much further you can go. Granted, it is approaching summer (and longer days)...
My best guess would be Kiama as the maximum. Depends on what time you start, how fast you go, and any stops along the way.

you are intending to be back in Sydney at the end of the day?

Last edited by kevin301; 08-10-2014 at 06:41 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #30

From Katoomba (assuming that's your start point in Blue Mountains), it's already a pretty long drive just to reach Wollonggong.
Not sure how much further you can go. Granted, it is approaching summer (and longer days)...
My best guess would be Kiama as the maximum. Depends on what time you start, how fast you go, and any stops along the way.

you are intending to be back in Sydney at the end of the day?
Yup. Going back to Sydney as I have already booked the hotel.

Not necessary to go all the way to Wollongong, just wish to experience driving along Grand Pacific Drive and tge scenic places along the way.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.