HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!

Like Tree203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1891
Arch-Supremacy Member

How likely is it for a Kindle touch to be faulty? What would the service be like for a faulty kindle?

I figured since paperwhite was released on 1 October 2012 I might as well wait 4 months for the next kindle refresh to see if I want to upgrade from my Kindle touch that is still working very well. As I like the 4gb in the touch that I was a bit hesitant about in The 2gb paperwhite.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #1892

How likely is it for a Kindle touch to be faulty? What would the service be like for a faulty kindle?

I figured since paperwhite was released on 1 October 2012 I might as well wait 4 months for the next kindle refresh to see if I want to upgrade from my Kindle touch that is still working very well. As I like the 4gb in the touch that I was a bit hesitant about in The 2gb paperwhite.
Highly unlikely. However it's the luck of the draw. I just had a brand new Mac hard drive/motherboard drive die, but it won't change my opinion of Apple, for eg. It's just the luck of the draw. For Kindle, you can RMA back to them.

I don't think you'll ever run out of the space in the PW. But I think you can wait. There's nothing wrong with the Touch at all!
leonaheidern likes this.

Last edited by jeffyen2; 07-07-2013 at 10:03 AM..
jeffyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #1893

Registering allows you to read Amazon books that are in your account. The excellent free dictionaries are such books. If you buy books that with your Amazon account, you need to register it. I don't think there are good reasons not to register, actually. Also Amazon does not guarantee that 3G works for websites so plus the not ideal web browsing experience I won't really recommend it.

There are some very good free ebooks offered by amazon occasionally. Some people pirate paid books and sideload it. Personally I just think authors should be paid so I get my books from Amazon.
Thank you for all the info. I think my decision is made.
You made me feel ashamed for a while about the "author should be paid thing" but then I remember how poor I am and how ridiculously expensive some of the books I read are (one sacred strategy book costs 1699 USD). Just to make you feel more at ease though, I do buy the books I like after "previewing", or from authors I trust, so yeah... You are not helping an incorrigible pirate.
pantherpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #1894

Usually the older model will be on sales if new kindle is going to come out. So far, only kindle fire hd is on sales.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #1895
Supremacy Member

gonna get one from Qisahn @ $199.

Amazon price of USD119 + USD20 shipping ~ SGD190.

oh wells

Om Mani Padme Hum
knightcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #1896

〖Kindle Paperwhite〗电*书阅读器-触控屏,内置阅读灯,八周电**航时间;〖Kindle Paperwhite〗电*书阅读器,带给您至臻完美的阅读体验!

gonna get one from Qisahn @ $199.

Amazon price of USD119 + USD20 shipping ~ SGD190.

oh wells
ipevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #1897

Hello Guys, is there anywhere else in Singapore that sell paperwhite in store?
tayfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #1898
Arch-Supremacy Member

question for paperwhite and win 8.

i side load my books using calibre into paperwhite.
i got a win 8 kindle app.

how do i get them to sync together so that i can do the below.

ie. i read a book at paperwhite. then i go home and continue reading from where i left off using the pc win 8.

currently when i open the kindle pc app, i don't see any books.
game goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #1899

Seen it on qishan but IMO, getting it on Amazon directly through forwarder is slightly cheaper(More if on sale) and it ships directly to your doorstep.

It takes only about a week to receive it.
Kikstyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #1900

USD 20 for shipping? If I remember correctly, I didn't pay that much at all. If not wrong only 6USD but I could be wrong about it being 6USD. It was a while back
zacharyandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #1901
Arch-Supremacy Member

ie. i read a book at paperwhite. then i go home and continue reading from where i left off using the pc win 8.

sideload doesnt sync. you need to use "send to kindle by email" feature then manually download the book within your 2nd device
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #1902

1. login to you amazon account> manage your kindle > manage you devices > turn on the "whispersync device synchronization".
2. go to personal document settings > set the "approved personal document e-mail list" with your preferred email.
3. Under the send-to-kindle e-mail settings, copy the e-mail address of your kindle paperwhite at send-to-kindle e-mail settings.
4. login to your preferred email and send a copy of your book to kindle paperwhite via its email found in step 3. (only email set in step 2 is allowed to send book to your kindle).

now your book is stored at the cloud and should be available to all your kindle devices/apps.

Old 15-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #1903

Amazon is probably the best option.
mediamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #1904
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm in the same delimma. I've been using my Kindle 3 since it came out and recently started toying with the idea of getting the Paperwhite or Kobo Aura.

I did some research and the only rumors going around for the upcoming refresh are the Kindle Fire series.

I'm still considering. Even though the Paperwhite can be bought cheaply now, it'll still hurt like hell when Amazon decides to drop it below $100.
leonaheidern likes this.
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #1905

I'm in the same delimma. I've been using my Kindle 3 since it came out and recently started toying with the idea of getting the Paperwhite or Kobo Aura.

I did some research and the only rumors going around for the upcoming refresh are the Kindle Fire series.

I'm still considering. Even though the Paperwhite can be bought cheaply now, it'll still hurt like hell when Amazon decides to drop it below $100.
Historically, a new Kindle appears around September to Novermber. The price won't won't drop too much; the older model will be replaced.
jeffyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.