HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!

Like Tree203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #3361

Hi. I'm totally new to Kindle. I'm very tempted to purchase it for my kids. I would like to check if we buy from Amazon, 1) Do we need to purchase the Kindle Power Adapter which is in 1 of the options?
2)There is 1 which says International Version. What does that means?
3) What does the Kindle Unlimited means? Does it mean that I'm free to download as many books as I want and I get to keep the books at the end of the period?
lululili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #3362

There is promotion for both kindle basic and kindle paperwhite now.

1) you can use any USB charger to charge the kindle.
2) Buy the one with Ads.. there is no difference in terms of experience and cheaper.
3) I never use kindle unlimited. I suppose u can read all kindle books with subscription.
ekin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #3363

I read free novels from online. Download txt version - send to kindle email, it'll deliver to my kindle in the correct format. Sometimes i purchase the occasional books from my favorite bestselling authors but not often. I use vpn to purchase them with my US address account. Dunno i can purchase without vpn now.

The kindle pw 2018 8gb with ads that i just ordered -> roughly $135 after usd to sgd conversion + $3.99 ezbuy air shipping charges = $139.
Can tell me where you get this deal?

thank you
boss994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #3364

thank you
his buying direct from Amazon. Then use ezbuy ship for me.
ekin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #3365

There is promotion for both kindle basic and kindle paperwhite now.

1) you can use any USB charger to charge the kindle.
2) Buy the one with Ads.. there is no difference in terms of experience and cheaper.
3) I never use kindle unlimited. I suppose u can read all kindle books with subscription.
Thank you.

Sorry, more questions.

1) How do we register for the account to start using? I understand that if we buy locally, the account was pre-registered with US address.
2) Can't decide between 8gb or 32gb. Is 8 gb enough? It seems really small.
3) Other than the waterproofing, any other big differences between the latest model and the previous one? Saw a local promo on a 2016 Japan set with 32gb selling at $170+ with free pouch, screen protecterand ebooks.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #3366

Thank you.

Sorry, more questions.

1) How do we register for the account to start using? I understand that if we buy locally, the account was pre-registered with US address.
Just register any Amazon account. You can set the address to US forwarding address or change to local address as and when you want it.
2) Can't decide between 8gb or 32gb. Is 8 gb enough? It seems really small.
Books do not take up a lot of space, I don't think i exceed 1GB even when i had 100s of books. Unless you are buying to use audiobooks, maybe you'll need the extra space.
3) Other than the waterproofing, any other big differences between the latest model and the previous one? Saw a local promo on a 2016 Japan set with 32gb selling at $170+ with free pouch, screen protecterand ebooks.
Not sure about difference between 2016 and 2018 model but if you buy the kindle yourself, do note that Amazon USA has very good service and warranty support. If your kindle is spoilt (touch wood), you can contact Amazon USA for help. A few years ago my kindle screen was spoilt and i contacted their CS. Sent back the old kindle and they sent me a new one (dunno refurbished or not... it looks new ) and reimbursed me my shipping charges. I don't think you are able to do that if you buy from Amazon Japan unless you know the language?
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #3367

his buying direct from Amazon. Then use ezbuy ship for me.

thank you
Yes from Amazon USA direct ship to forwarder than to me. I think it's cheaper now. 89.99 usd is only about $123. Much cheaper than buying from local reseller no matter how you look at it.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #3368

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-kindle-paperwhite-is-down-to-its-lowest-price-ever-at-amazon

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 10 using GAGT
mikeymesina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #3369

thanks! unfortunately still confusing
mine G090G1 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi

still doesn't tells which generation. for now i can only guess it's Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)

currently firmware 5.8.9.2. saw 5.11.1.1 is available but don't know what changes & fixes. since it's working fine now, i better don't touch
This might help:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #3370

Not sure about difference between 2016 and 2018 model but if you buy the kindle yourself, do note that Amazon USA has very good service and warranty support. If your kindle is spoilt (touch wood), you can contact Amazon USA for help. A few years ago my kindle screen was spoilt and i contacted their CS. Sent back the old kindle and they sent me a new one (dunno refurbished or not... it looks new ) and reimbursed me my shipping charges. I don't think you are able to do that if you buy from Amazon Japan unless you know the language?
Thank you tofubean! After your explanation I have the impulse to purchase 1 immediately! 😁
Old 12-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #3371

Is ezbuy still reliable? Amazon can ship to them?

Do I need to tell ezbuy to repack smaller?

Lost touch, long time never buy from Amazon but may need a Paperwhite soon.
jianlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #3372

$90 bucks for a backlit kindle reader. and forwarder service costs all summarised.

https://booksavenue.co/2019/04/09/la...e-ebooks-here/
maxis5885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #3373

Is ezbuy still reliable? Amazon can ship to them?

Do I need to tell ezbuy to repack smaller?

Lost touch, long time never buy from Amazon but may need a Paperwhite soon.
The last generation better.
The new generation got a lot of reflections.
fairfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #3374

The last generation better.
The new generation got a lot of reflections.
thanks, I'll check it out.
jianlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #3375

first timer here thinking of getting a kindle. i do read on the go and it's only for that. would the paperwhite 2019 be an overkill? i also read graphic novels which seems the kindle is not the best way to read those due to it's non-color screen. anyone can advise would getting a tablet (7") be better? i already have an ipad pro 10.5 but it's just too big to take out and read it in public.
symbiote28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.