www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   The Book Nook (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/book-nook-118/)
-   -   Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/book-nook-118/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-announced-3885981.html)

LouisLoh 07-09-2012 03:29 AM

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!
 
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite hands-on | The Verge

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo...llery_post.jpg

WiFi-only USD119 (presumably for with offers)
3G+WiFi USD179 (again, with offers probably)
Front-lit ala Nook Glow
High resolution 212ppi display *MEGA DROOL*
Paperwhite: Higher contrast (deeper blacks, whiter whites) *DROOL*
212 grams heavy, 9.1mm thick

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo...llery_post.jpg
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo...llery_post.jpg

expositox 07-09-2012 07:27 AM

To add on to TS,

9to5google.com/2012/09/06/amazon-kindle-event-liveblog/

Kindle Fire HD (a.k.a. Kindle HD)

Original Kindle has new plastic, now 10 bucks cheaper, USD69.

8.9'' Kindle HD
-Dual Dolby Speaker
-254 ppi (that's retina)

7'' Kindle SD
-Longer battery life
-more RAM (faster performance)
-USD159

Kindles are 41% faster than the iPad, no idea which one though

ctrlesc 07-09-2012 07:44 AM

Unless I read wrongly, but the only 2GB storage on paperwhite is really a big turn off! I had been waiting for Amazon to come out with more storage space or at least give me an expansion slot for memory card. Why just can't be like Nook with an expansion slot? :(

LouisLoh 07-09-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlesc (Post 69723376)
Unless I read wrongly, but the only 2GB storage on paperwhite is really a big turn off! I had been waiting for Amazon to come out with more storage space or at least give me an expansion slot for memory card. Why just can't be like Nook with an expansion slot? :(

I thought Kindles always had 8GB.

And they missed out on physical page-turners and a physical button to activate the light.

Kinda deal-breakers for me.

EDIT: It is indeed 2GB. Gosh.

jeffyen2 07-09-2012 09:45 AM

Pre-ordered!

I like the decision to limit the thing to onboard 2gb. Never had enough books to remotely approach the limit...

davidquah 07-09-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffyen2 (Post 69725140)
Pre-ordered!

I like the decision to limit the thing to onboard 2gb. Never had enough books to remotely approach the limit...

heh. i put 20 books max in mine :D

tofubean 07-09-2012 11:34 AM

Same. I only put 20-40 books on my kindle. But i'm not too sure about the light. My kindle 3 is still doing fine. Was hoping it'll be a great improvement for me to upgrade to this but will have to see more reviews before i decide.

alfseeto 07-09-2012 11:41 AM

Very tempting to upgrade, I am using the model before kindle touch (the one with the keyboard and smaller screen). The keyboard is really a waste of space since I never use it. Sigh..but the leather cover was rather expensive and I can't justify upgrading since the kindle is working fine.

fireantz 07-09-2012 11:42 AM

this child is tempting!! but i have a 7 mth old kindle touch already

davidquah 07-09-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofubean (Post 69727818)
Same. I only put 20-40 books on my kindle. But i'm not too sure about the light. My kindle 3 is still doing fine. Was hoping it'll be a great improvement for me to upgrade to this but will have to see more reviews before i decide.

well i still loving my kindle 3.
even kindle touch didn't tempt me to upgrade.

i even got a spare kindle 3 in case the old one dies :o

alfseeto 07-09-2012 11:50 AM

If we get the one with the ads, does it still work in Singapore?

jeffyen2 07-09-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfseeto (Post 69728217)
If we get the one with the ads, does it still work in Singapore?

Yes it'll work. Some of the offers found in the ads can be used too.

Arsene_Wenger 07-09-2012 12:48 PM

May i ask if e 3g wrks in sg? I doubt so right since sg is nt under their radar fr selling directly.

jeffyen2 07-09-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsene_Wenger (Post 69729581)
May i ask if e 3g wrks in sg? I doubt so right since sg is nt under their radar fr selling directly.

It does work, technically. (There's a roaming sim card inside.) However, I'd rather not as it's still 'experimental', the device is more expensive, and I don't want to 'raise any red flags'.

LouisLoh 07-09-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffyen2 (Post 69725140)
Pre-ordered!

I like the decision to limit the thing to onboard 2gb. Never had enough books to remotely approach the limit...

PDFs can grow really big in size..


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.