HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is book depository the cheapest place to buy books?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #136

yes i have used fishpond.
comparing fishpond and bookdepository, they are rather similar in delivery time. just buy from either website where the book is cheaper.
Thanks. Will give them a try soon.
joey22099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #137

Thanks. Will give them a try soon.
If you are ordering before the 14th May you can get 10% discount using the code APMA12

UK
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/10aprmay

US
http://www.bookdepository.com/10aprmay
patapatapata likes this.
brefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #138
Arch-Supremacy Member

Damn.... Missed the 10% discount...
Old 18-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #139

ah i missed it too.. now then know abt the discount....
sogoofy1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #140

ah i missed it too.. now then know abt the discount....
New Discount code for July 2012 = 24SOL

UK discount

US discount
hanoraptor likes this.
brefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #141

I've used BD for a few years now. Overall I think it's the best online bookstore for my purposes; I buy literary classics and novels from BD and they have almost all the titles Amazon has.

The drawbacks like most mentioned are the slightly longer shipping times (around 3-4 weeks from time of order), as well as the occasional case of books getting lost (I've yet to figure out whose fault this is: BD, Royal Mail or Singpost, though I suspect its the latter). Nonetheless each time I just had to drop them a mail and they will ship a replacement copy to me without questions asked.

Amazon's prices are usually less costly per item, but after factoring in all the delivery charges they almost always cost more.
Old 23-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #142

Hi, was wondering what's the difference in selecting different currencies at bookdepository? How will my CC be charged? I was looking at a book and it cost $15+ sgd, but 10+ euros.
unintended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #143

Hi, was wondering what's the difference in selecting different currencies at bookdepository? How will my CC be charged? I was looking at a book and it cost $15+ sgd, but 10+ euros.
They will charge the price indicated in the given currency, so in this case you should buy it in SGD. If you buy an item in USD or some other foreign currency then I suppose the foreign rate conversion will be done by the credit card company.
Old 25-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #144

I used to make purchases on amazon. Shipping is seriously quite expensive and can sometimes takes up 50% of the cost of the book, not to mention that shipping is slow, usually takes about 3-4weeks. Stumbled upon fishpond and pleasantly surprised by their free shipping deal. So i've made an order. After comparing the fishpond and bookdepository, i conclude that fishpond is a cheaper option.
newjersey likes this.
frotle009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #145

The thing about fishpond and BD is that their prices fluctuate quite a lot, so whenever I notice something in my wishlist happened to drop in price it becomes quite tempting to purchase it
Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #146

is fish pond still reliable?
teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:51 AM   #147

As a bookworm, I buy a lotttt of books. Haha. I used to order from Fishpond since about 8 yrs ago but my orders went missing 5 out of approx. 20 times. After repeated standard replies that they are checking on it, there was no update after. Stopped ordering from there since 2016. Also tried buying from BD but same experience as everyone else that waiting time is very long with higher lost parcel rate than all my online shopping experience combined. Lol. Sometimes my books took 2 months or more to come! I got really upset when they lost my order in June and stopped buying from them since. Recently tried buying from Just Books on lazada as their prices also quite cheap and they have a huge range too. My order in August took about 1 week plus but my order in September took about 3 weeks. The good thing is they respond fast and they updated me about the delay via whatsapp so at least I know. Have not tried Kino cos too expensive for me. Haha.
claymoreftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #148

Lucky plaza on weekends should metes has second hand book stall very
Cheap Wan - but gotta fight the crowd ;-)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #149

Anyone knows where to buy new/used travel books in Singapore? Know of any forum that exchange books,etc?

By the way, anyone has experienced does BD returned books to UK sender if it doesn't get delivered to the customer.

Thanks
funnyclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #150

Anyone knows where to buy new/used travel books in Singapore? Know of any forum that exchange books,etc?

By the way, anyone has experienced does BD returned books to UK sender if it doesn't get delivered to the customer.

Thanks
I have been waiting since 1 Oct for 9 books that I ordered from BD. Sometimes the books come in 1 package per book; so far so good.
For this batch, I think it comes in a box. I have received in this way 3 times where a deliveryman will deliver right to my doorstep, no problem. However this time, I didn't receive the books

I contacted SG Post Office and was asked to check with BD as SG Post Office treat parcels from BD as normal mail and if undelivered will be returned to sender. I immediately checked with BD and they are unable to confirm whether the books were returned to them!! I expressed my frustration and their sale personnel was understanding and quickly arranged replacements. I shall wait and see if the 9 books do arrive.

This is the 2nd time that I failed to receive the books. 1st time was just 1 book which BD also sent replacements.
Reny078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.