HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is book depository the cheapest place to buy books?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Master Member

Is book depository the cheapest place to buy books?

So far, i looked a lot of places and websites, and i found out that bookdepository.com to be the cheapest place you can get books, because of the free shipping worldwide. Even amazon can't compete. Are they also cheaper than local book stores like kino?
liminer likes this.
FattyRabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Most books are cheaper in amazon than bookdepository... that is for my type of books. I normally do abit of comparison before buying as i tend to buy a couple of books each time. The thing i like about bookdepository is that they pack each book in individual packing.

The charges for amazon is $4.99 (base charge) + $4.99 for each book in that sale order.

Local store like kino and borders are really no fight unless they have ridiculous sale offer.

Most uni text are cheaper in clementi bookstore if i am not wrong as they are for asian print.
Old 21-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Master Member

Yeah, most books on Amazon are cheaper. And don't forget there's more than one Amazon site. Amazon UK also have some good prices.

If you're just buying one or two, then go for Book Depositry because they include shipping charges.
Parka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Master Member

Thanks for the responses. But the books in amazon are normally only cheaper by about 3-7 USD per book compared to book depository, and even when i buy 3-4 books at once, the shipping cost (5USD base charge, another 5USD per book) will cancel them out and make it slightly even more ex.

Maybe unless i buy about 5-7 books at once then amazon would be cheaper. But one thing i have to say is amazon's customer service is extremely good, don't know about book depository's customer service though as it's my 1st time buying from them.
Old 21-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Have you tried checking the prices on OpenTrolley? I find that some of the books they carry are cheaper and the waiting time for the book to arrive is shorter as it would only take 4-7 days.
saycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #6

I have ordered from bookdepository previously. Took about a week or so to reach. Not all titles are cheap, you will need to do some comparison. How nice if there is a regular mass-order of books from Amazon. Then can save on shipping charges.
DuXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Master Member

I have ordered from bookdepository previously. Took about a week or so to reach. Not all titles are cheap, you will need to do some comparison. How nice if there is a regular mass-order of books from Amazon. Then can save on shipping charges.
Yeah, bookdepository takes shorter time to reach too. But so far the books in bookdespository i see are not more than 6 USD more expensive than amazon(which have already cancel the shipping charges.)

Yeah a MO for amazon books would be great.
Old 26-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #8

I thought there's always MO for Amazon? Personally I use the livejournal sprees, or conduct my own.

But for books I've discovered it really depends on the type of books, paperbacks are worth buying via sprees but large hardcovers buy directly from Amazon / Book depository easier.
galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #9

Side qn: when you guys mention MO for Amazon, does item include non-book stuff?
I want to buy an electronic from Amazon, shipping itself is almost 30% of the price of item.
Where to look for MO for Amazon?
mangomilkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Master Member

Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Singapore (directly).
Parka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #11

I ordered 2 books from booksdepository.
Both arrive within 7 days in separate envelopes.
I found the free shipping deal attractive, overall cheaper than other online bookstores (for the books i bought)
mangomilkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #12

You can check the status through the bookdepository website. If it has arrived in Singapore, I think you can check with SingPost on the delivery options.
DuXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #13

book depository

Hi guys, I have ordered from book depository some time ago and received my book 8 days later. I find the price and delivery time of book depository quite reasonable and satisfactory. But I find that the book is not really in the condition that I would like it to be. The edge of the spine of the boook is somewhat crumpled, and the edge of the book cover is damaged. You can also see some lines on the front cover of the book. It does not seem brand new to me..maybe I am too much of a perfectionist, but I just wonder is there any of you who bought from book depository face the same issue?
RottenTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #14

yes, I do encounter slight damage with the books ordered from Book Depository occasionally. But then, this happens with Amazon for me too.

With Amazon, I once received a 2nd hand book (Amazon Marketplace) that was in really bad condition. Wrote to them and they refunded the cost of the book promptly.
(Which is pointless since S&H is much higher than the book's cost)
nightstalker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #15

UK Book Depository

I ordered some books from the UK Book Depository. The books have been despatched but I have not received them yet. I checked the online Singpost tracking using the Tracking No. given by UK Book Depository but Singpost does not have any records of it.

Can anybody tell me whether books ordered from the UK Book Depository will be delivered by Singpost or other couriers? How can I go about tracking it? Will it come by registered mail or just original mail?

Thanks
Charity123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.