HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Kindle vs Kobo?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
jf

Kindle vs Kobo?

I am still considering between sticking to a Kindle, vs going to a Kobo, and would appreciate any and all input from folks here who've looked at this question.

One particular question that has been bugging me about the Kindle: how are you guys getting your ebooks? do you have to jump through hoops just to get books from Amazon like a particular local online sg ereader shop suggests you have to? Their instructions page recommends using a VPN (just so that you can appear to come from a US location before hitting amazon.com), plus gift cards (purchasing the gift cards with your local credit card, then redeeming them and erasing your credit card info, so that your local credit card with a local address is not "present" in their system, and is never tied directly to any ebook purchase)... Seriously? Do you guys do that?

Over a decade of professional, battle-tested Linux consulting and services

Last edited by jf; 30-08-2018 at 09:19 AM..
jf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

I have a Kindle - quite nice but I’m not familiar with the other model mentioned sorry
Old 05-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
jf

One particular question that has been bugging me about the Kindle: how are you guys getting your ebooks? do you have to jump through hoops just to get books from Amazon like a particular local online sg ereader shop suggests you have to? Their instructions page recommends using a VPN (just so that you can appear to come from a US location before hitting amazon.com), plus gift cards (purchasing the gift cards with your local credit card, then redeeming them and erasing your credit card info, so that your local credit card with a local address is not "present" in their system, and is never tied directly to any ebook purchase)... Seriously? Do you guys do that?
can somebody help? just looking for some feedback here.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

I am still considering between sticking to a Kindle, vs going to a Kobo, and would appreciate any and all input from folks here who've looked at this question.

I have the 1st gen Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Aura H20.

Advantage of Kobo is compability with more book formats so it's easier to purchase books and sideload them from different stores. For Kindle, you have to convert them to Mobi/AZW3 using Calibre software and send to Kindle. The newer Kobos also supports Overdrive directly so you can borrow books on the device itself.

Overall, I still prefer the Kindle as the software like speed, dictionary, margins, UI all feel better than Kobo. This is just based on my experience with the 2 models though as the newer Kobo models might have improved.

For purchasing books on Amazon, I just purchase Amazon gift card and "buy books with 1 click" and "deliver to kindle" without using any VPN.
valentines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

It used to be like this but a few years ago things became easier and there's no need to do this nowadays.
jeffyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
jf

It used to be like this but a few years ago things became easier and there's no need to do this nowadays.
ok that sounds great. So you can just buy directly now, using your sg-based credit card?

Old 10-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

ok that sounds great. So you can just buy directly now, using your sg-based credit card?
Yes, I recently bought a book on amazon using a local credit card. No issues encountered.
tang63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
jf

Yes, I recently bought a book on amazon using a local credit card. No issues encountered.
an ebook for your kindle, I assume?

Old 13-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #9

an ebook for your kindle, I assume?
No problems with buying ebooks from Amazon for kindle with local issued credit cards.
Soya_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #10

I had both... Got my kobo when I was in Japan.. Thought of trying another e-reader.. But was quite frustrated with Kobo cos some of the books I cannot change the font size to bigger which I can with kindle and had to stress my eyes... End-up, it was stored somewhere in my home and I stick with Kindle..
ellfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
jf

No problems with buying ebooks from Amazon for kindle with local issued credit cards.
glad to hear that, and thanks for the feedback!

Old 14-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
jf

I had both... Got my kobo when I was in Japan.. Thought of trying another e-reader.. But was quite frustrated with Kobo cos some of the books I cannot change the font size to bigger which I can with kindle and had to stress my eyes... End-up, it was stored somewhere in my home and I stick with Kindle..
would these be side-loaded books? The kobo does have font adjustment options, so this is a bit of a surprise

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.