HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

What are you reading now?

Like Tree114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #31
rty

I read almost purely non-fiction so here's a list of books I read quite recently;

1. Supersense - Bruce M.Hood
2. Dance with Chance - Sypros Makridakis
3. The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch (Brilliant book!)

I'm currently dabbling into philosophy and psychology, any recommendations?
"Does It Matter?: Essays on Man's Relation to Materiality" by Alan W. Watts

"Man's Search for Meaning : An Introduction to Logotherapy" by Victor Frankl
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #32

"Get into Bed with Google" by Jon Smith
KatieLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #33
High Honorary Member

murakami haruki 1q84 volume 1
Old 21-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #34

"Does It Matter?: Essays on Man's Relation to Materiality" by Alan W. Watts

"Man's Search for Meaning : An Introduction to Logotherapy" by Victor Frankl
Thanks, will check them out!
Justin.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #35
rty

Just read The Omnivore's Dilemma; I like the 1st half which is about the corn in most of our food, the 2nd part is not so interesting.
Wow! You are a voracious reader!

I agree with you. Second part is not that captivating. I switched to another book after I finished the first part. This book comes with 2 versions, by the way: 1 is for adults, other is for kids. I prefer the latter.
Old 24-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #36
rty

Alchemy of Air is really good. I am usually a heartless person who do not care about the characters. I dun remember when was the last time I felt something for the characters in books. After reading, I felt sorry for Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch ending. That must have said something about the book, right? .
I particularly enjoyed the sea battle part between Peru vs Argentina.

Will you be reading Thomas Hager's 2nd book? The Demon Under the Microscope: From Battlefield Hospitals to Nazi Labs

I have just finished The Innovation Secrets of Steve Jobs. A so-so book but good if you are looking for inspiration and motivation. It is mostly about other successful entrepreneurs, not Steve Jobs. It is pale in comparison to the first book, The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs.
If you are interested in the early story of Apple, iWoz by Steve Wozniak might interest you. To me, it is just so-so.
Old 24-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
rty

Hi rty, I will be reading Thomas Hager's 2nd book. I won't be reading iWoz because I am not interested in Steve Wozniak's side of the Apple story though I think Steve Wozniak is nicer person than Steve Jobs; Wozniak gave some of his IPO shares to his staff after Steve Jobs refused to let the Apple staff to receive stock options.

I am more interested in books that is about insights into human behaviour or human history, for example, Outlier, Freakonomics and what the dog saw

Or motivation, for example DRiVE

Or market trends, creativity/innovation or ideas, something like Do you matter?

Got any to recommend?

Thanks!!
Try this: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

I think some of the chapters in "What the Dog Saw" are quite boring. I found out a bit too late that the book is actually a collection of Gladwell's old articles published in the New Yorker magazine. In fact, all the articles can be downloaded from its archive free of charge.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #38
Master Member

Try this: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

I think some of the chapters in "What the Dog Saw" are quite boring. I found out a bit too late that the book is actually a collection of Gladwell's old articles published in the New Yorker magazine. In fact, all the articles can be downloaded from its archive free of charge.
I read the kids edition of the Omnivore's dilemma bcos it is shorter than the adult edition.

I dun plan to read Black Swan. I have read fooled by randomness; I found the author, Nassim Nicholas Taleb's writing to be quite arrogant though he is not wrong in what he says in his books.
AnimeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
rty

I found the author, Nassim Nicholas Taleb's writing to be quite arrogant though he is not wrong in what he says in his books.
I think you are right. He's probably an arrogant and aloof professor in real life. I don't have the book with me but I can still recall in the last chapter of the Blank Swan, he said he believes in "elegance and aesthetic in behavior", that's why he and his poet friend never run to catch the train. He also wrote: "Snub your destiny!". How I wish I could do that!
Old 26-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #40
Master Member

The Demon Under the Microscope is not as interesting as Alchemy of Air. I guess I'll turn my attention to (technical) IT books than (read-for-leisure) books for now, before they are outdated and waste my money.
AnimeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #41
Great Supremacy Member

Just finished The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

Just started on Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Bought and intending to read What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson.
I always thought Rand was a crack pot but now after a few chapters of Fountainhead think i have a new favorite author! It's strange that Rand also liked the works of Schiller - as do i
Old 30-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #42

Smile

FHM. . ohhh. very much inlove with this month's babe model l I want here to be mine.
albertglennsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #43

Artemis Fowl- The Atlantis Complex. Very fun book.
alfcrazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #44
Supremacy Member

"Getting More" By Stuart Diamond
kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #45

Sharlok homes
maady420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.