Jazz
Lancer
All these dep around 5 to 6k
5 year coe

Sent from 风雨中抱紧自由 using GAGT

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My company gonna give me car allowance of $800 soon. And will give petrol of about $400. I stay in lakeside and work in tuas.

I currently don't have a car (and also don't need a car, coz grab very convenient). But need to buy one soon if not all these money burn. What would you suggest?

In general, most car depreciation is around 8 to 10K per year. You can calculate base on this plus the necessary expenses like fuel, insurance, parking, maintenance, any repair and loan interest.

My company also give $800 for transport allowance. This is hardly enough to maintain a car. Not to forget, usually company that give car allowance also means the amount is taxable. (Ie part of your pay).

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dreaming ???

Sent from 风雨中抱紧自由 using GAGT

Yap, 2 years old car and sell, you are going to loss more then depreciation for sure. Not to forget intetest paid and panualty payment to outstanding loan.

Sammiegirl00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My company gonna give me car allowance of $800 soon. And will give petrol of about $400. I stay in lakeside and work in tuas.

I currently don't have a car (and also don't need a car, coz grab very convenient). But need to buy one soon if not all these money burn. What would you suggest?

Don’t listen to the rest. Trust the lady.

This Friday, take time off work and head to the showrooms and make your maiden purchase. Make sure it’s conti okay? Enjoy your new ride.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Simple mathematics . Company is giving you 14400 a year of subsidy or nothing. Why don't you making use of this chance to generate more than 14.4k ?

1. less risk taking option
Get a low maintenance car with less than 2 years to go. Pick those with yearly depreciation around $8k-10k.

Drive grab hitch to get other passenger to compensate you on route and return from work.

Rent out your car to generate extra incomes.

You won't be worrying too much on can't maintain the car.

2. Get a new car, get those with 5 years warranty
Think of how to make use of this...
$1.2k subsidy can make instalment for cars less than 100k with 7 years loan easily, rough estimate.

If you have income of>6k (exclude the 1.2k allowance), get a new car.

You need to have some loan or liability on hand to drive yourself to work hard.

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

Last edited:

snip82

Reaction score
New car if the installment is within your car allowance budget after your initial up front, dun over use the car allowance budget.. else get a old one cause u using for work and travel often... = to company car..

Summaries: have money up front, new car (need to commit your job for 10 years min)
No money for up front 2nd hand car with 2 years-3years (lesser commitment on loan rem high parf value recommend still can get back some cash)

JX1983

Reaction score
Since u said u don’t need a car then don’t bother buying 1.
If u really just want to utilise your company that pay for your allowance then get the cheapest if u don’t mind and see if u can afford the monthly.
If u are one who are into cars and I will said get a used one and u have so much choices to choose from one u like most as new car will only get u limited choices.
That’s my 2 cents. =:p

Sammiegirl00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
by new car u learn nothing on maintaining your car, send to ad cover by warranty.

buy used car no warranty, u can slowly learn the basic and advance maintenance.
then slowly by accessory for your car like a toy and also can do some diy.

if diy failed also nvm cos used car.

next time u buy next car, can prevent JB or SG workshop to smoke or carrot you.

That’s deep. For me. Just buy. Think later. Maintenance? Not my problem. I’ve got better things to do than play mechanic.

colin03

Reaction score

Hi Bro - based on your allowance.
You have 1200 additional to burn monthly.
A comfortable ride would be a coe (more than 10 years old) as the dep yearly is about 4-5K.
A 1.6cc should be ok for you as you only travel in Singapore (need no high speed).
Less issue will be a manual transmission if you can take it.
Do not forget the loan interest should be 1% higher than a new car (still worth it)

Happy Shopping.

crystal7

Reaction score
Hi,
I am eyeing on 8yrs honda jazz 1 prev owner what are things that i need to check before commit to buy?
* Does paintwork original or not has any effect on car value? Aren't dealer will always griim and repaint?
* How to check if there is any modification to the car?
* Can i check servicing record to AD? How?

Thanks

HondaJG

Reaction score
I am eyeing on 8yrs honda jazz 1 prev owner what are things that i need to check before commit to buy?
* Does paintwork original or not has any effect on car value? Aren't dealer will always griim and repaint?

after 8yrs, how well can the original paintwork be maintained? :s13:

request 3rd party to perform car evaluation loh :s12:

if only the previous owner perform the car servicing at AD for past 8years, as most will normally go outside workshop for their servicing (cut costs, cut time) :s13:

Last edited:

walkofwinners

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks

Cars left 2 years? Don't think so much, just buy and change all the oil then whack for 2 years. Move on to another car next.

tickettrust

Reaction score
Better get a 3rd party workshop (if got mechanic friend even better) to evaluate before committing. Don't suey suey buy liao, after 2 months, gearbox got daiji, engine got daiji, bring in to workshop only to find out last time kenna accident before and is welded together one.

Always be extra careful when buying 2nd hand. Salesman dont need to and wont tell u everything one.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks

Do some homework (Financial portion) on getting this 8 yo ride versus renting one.

greddy88

Reaction score
Should also budget some money for repairs. It's expected to have some work needed mechanically for a car this age, especially if u are unlucky the previous owner didn't take good care of it.

greddy88

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks

8 year old.. paintwork should be one of your last concerns la... Mechanically roadworthy is your priority.
Have someone competent to join u in the inspection and test drive, else send for AA inspection of u can.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.