HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Can you afford a car?

Like Tree125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #1966

If the car is in good condition, renewing is definitely the cheapest option.
However, you need to pay the PQP in full cash.

Toyota vios is a problem free car. Great for coe renewal too as you will not lose too much a parf value as the car have a low OMV to begin with.

The current Cat A PQP is about $48k. If you are able to fork out this sum without causing too much hurt to your pocket, it will be good to have this car renewed for another 10 years as the renewal can only be done once. Should you decide to change the car before the 10 years is up, you can get back the pro-rated COE rebate. If you choose to renew for 5 years, the car must be scrapped when the COE is due.

Monthly Expenses:

Installment $0

Road Tax = $684/12 = $57

Season Parking = $120

Insurance = $1,800/12 = $150 (Assumption)

Petrol = $120 (Since u pump in JB)

Cashcard/Coupon = $150 (Including tolls incurred for ur JB trips)

Tyre = $20 (Assume you change tyre and do alignment every 18 months, each tyre about $70)

Servicing Maintenance $50 (Do set aside ample sum for replacements due to wear and tear, especially for used car)

Total Running Cost $667 per month
Factoring in the $48,000 for the 10 year coe renewal...monthly is about $400
Total Cost of Car Ownership $1067

Hope this gives u a rough idea.
Not forgetting basic maintenance. Should be cheap for vios. +50?

However if u get knocks, repair might burst yr buget.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
mel1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #1967

Not forgetting basic maintenance. Should be cheap for vios. +50?

However if u get knocks, repair might burst yr buget.
It has been included:
Servicing Maintenance $50 (Do set aside ample sum for replacements due to wear and tear, especially for used car)

If servicing is done once every 6 months... that's $300... should be sufficient.
But of course there should be buffer for unforeseen damages.
blueodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #1968

If the car is in good condition, renewing is definitely the cheapest option.
However, you need to pay the PQP in full cash.

Toyota vios is a problem free car. Great for coe renewal too as you will not lose too much a parf value as the car have a low OMV to begin with.

The current Cat A PQP is about $48k. If you are able to fork out this sum without causing too much hurt to your pocket, it will be good to have this car renewed for another 10 years as the renewal can only be done once. Should you decide to change the car before the 10 years is up, you can get back the pro-rated COE rebate. If you choose to renew for 5 years, the car must be scrapped when the COE is due.

Monthly Expenses:

Installment $0

Road Tax = $684/12 = $57

Season Parking = $120

Insurance = $1,800/12 = $150 (Assumption)

Petrol = $120 (Since u pump in JB)

Cashcard/Coupon = $150 (Including tolls incurred for ur JB trips)

Tyre = $20 (Assume you change tyre and do alignment every 18 months, each tyre about $70)

Total Running Cost $667 per month
Factoring in the $48,000 for the 10 year coe renewal...monthly is about $400
Total Cost of Car Ownership $1067

Hope this gives u a rough idea.

wow bro, this is a very comprehensive calculation. impressive!
over 1k for a COE car. Now I'm afraid to calculate mine lol
kzonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #1969
Master Member

such a noob here and would appreciate all brothers to help me to see if i should renew COE.

My dad's car is a Toyota Vios 1.5L
Expiring this Nov 2017.

This car hardly use at all during its 6-8.5 years of life. only past 2 years recently every day drove.

We dont know whether to renew or there are better options.

basically take home combined between my wife and I around $6K

we have an infant and also house loan $1100 per month.

Service, pump petrol, all done in JB, almost every week go in once. never pump in SG

I really dont know how to calculate, as I never buy car before, afterall is my dad settled everything. Appreciate all brothers' feedback, I wana learn. =)
my ride expiring in Nov as well, headache.

all the best in your car ownership journey!
~WindzStriker~ likes this.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #1970

wow bro, this is a very comprehensive calculation. impressive!
over 1k for a COE car. Now I'm afraid to calculate mine lol
Always happy to help. Haha.
Well at least that is what i have been doing since my car ownership.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #1971

Talking Help Advice needed

Hi all, I'm currently 28, single and earning around 6.2k /mth. I am looking at the 4 cars below and would like to listen to advice from the car veteran in this forum. Below is how i feel on each individual car

Hyundai Elantra
Spacious interior with sufficient leg gap at rear seat. Fuel consumption is not as good as i thought. But multiple forums mention hyundai is not a good car for long term...?

Kia Cerato
Stylish and nice exterior and interior. Multiple features available like ventilated car seat etc... interior is spacious and beautifully design. Love the arm rest at rear seat. But when i take uber/grab or taxi, the uncle always tell me not to buy kia...? But this put me my 2nd choice of car.

Mazda 2 Sedan
One of my options here is the exterior design. Love it much. But the interior like ****. The leg gap is not as decent as kia or Hyundai. Fuel consumption is the best among these 4 cars. My first choice due to the exterior design and fuel consumption. Disappointed with the ugly interior look only...

Mitsubishi Lancer
is it not available in market anymore? Love the engine sound alot but tend to be noisy when driving. At an age of 28, love sporty cars like anybody do But practically might not be suitable for me. Open my ears on this options though.

As you can see, I'm only budgeting myself to <$100,000 cars. I'm open to ideas on other cars too.

Is it still early to buy 1 at age 28 or should i save up more and get it at an older age? I'm staying at Tampines but my office is at jurong area though... Tired of travelling in public transport

Last edited by Cutecuteforever; 10-08-2017 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: nil
Cutecuteforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #1972

Hi all, I'm currently 28, single and earning around 6.2k /mth. I am looking at the 4 cars below and would like to listen to advice from the car veteran in this forum. Below is how i feel on each individual car

Hyundai Elantra
Spacious interior with sufficient leg gap at rear seat. Fuel consumption is not as good as i thought. But multiple forums mention hyundai is not a good car for long term...?

Kia Cerato
Stylish and nice exterior and interior. Multiple features available like ventilated car seat etc... interior is spacious and beautifully design. Love the arm rest at rear seat. But when i take uber/grab or taxi, the uncle always tell me not to buy kia...? But this put me my 2nd choice of car.

Mazda 2 Sedan
One of my options here is the exterior design. Love it much. But the interior like ****. The leg gap is not as decent as kia or Hyundai. Fuel consumption is the best among these 4 cars. My first choice due to the exterior design and fuel consumption. Disappointed with the ugly interior look only...

Mitsubishi Lancer
is it not available in market anymore? Love the engine sound alot but tend to be noisy when driving. At an age of 28, love sporty cars like anybody do But practically might not be suitable for me. Open my ears on this options though.

As you can see, I'm only budgeting myself to <$100,000 cars. I'm open to ideas on other cars too.

Is it still early to buy 1 at age 28 or should i save up more and get it at an older age? I'm staying at Tampines but my office is at jurong area though... Tired of travelling in public transport
Lancer is taken out of line le. No longer available. So i think u can drop the choice.

Mazda is nice, but i heard it is cramp for passenger. Fc definitely better. U can read up more on MCF for review.

For hyundai n Kia, both r using same engine. K3 have a better interior n leg room than elantra. N elantra elite trim took out some features like ventilated seats, etc. So may not be tat worth it.
iceraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #1973
Supremacy Member

Since you are young can consider Renault Clio, confirm head Turner. Opel Astra 1.0 turbo. Take conti more satki. Kia hyundai Mazda so uncle, next time then buy. Yolo.
elf108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #1974
Supremacy Member

Hyundai Elantra

Kia Cerato

Mazda 2 Sedan

Mitsubishi Lancer

Tampines to Jurong. If you're always driving during peak hours then traffic jams gonna be very common. Not sure if it's worth to drive your car to & fro on a daily basis. Not just cost wise but also effort wise. I say this because I stay east side with multiple work locations in SG.. I always avoid peak hours when driving to the West.

Another thing to note is you're quite young with that income, what will happen to the car if one day if (choi) your job security (assuming salaried worker) is in question? Better make sure you plan ahead for this.

That said, among your choices, I'd choose between the 2 korean cars. If I'm single and young, probably a hatchback might suit better. Just saying. Car buying is a happy process. Enjoy it
straweffigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #1975

Wink

Tampines to Jurong. If you're always driving during peak hours then traffic jams gonna be very common. Not sure if it's worth to drive your car to & fro on a daily basis. Not just cost wise but also effort wise. I say this because I stay east side with multiple work locations in SG.. I always avoid peak hours when driving to the West.

Another thing to note is you're quite young with that income, what will happen to the car if one day if (choi) your job security (assuming salaried worker) is in question? Better make sure you plan ahead for this.

That said, among your choices, I'd choose between the 2 korean cars. If I'm single and young, probably a hatchback might suit better. Just saying. Car buying is a happy process. Enjoy it

I have flexible timing in my work though, so i can probably avoid the peak hours

Yup, I just completed as one of the management trainee in an MNC so I think they would not sack me easily given the time and resources in training me. (Finger cross praying hard)

Hmm, is hatchback the trend now? Somehow i feel hatchback like abit low class. I'm still green in this line so please enlighten me

Since you are young can consider Renault Clio, confirm head Turner. Opel Astra 1.0 turbo. Take conti more satki. Kia hyundai Mazda so uncle, next time then buy. Yolo.
Haha, i choose sedan because it look bigger and I thought it is more classy . I didn't look at Conti car especially hatchback... Is hatchback really better than sedan ? But Renault Clio seems elegant though

Lancer is taken out of line le. No longer available. So i think u can drop the choice.

Mazda is nice, but i heard it is cramp for passenger. Fc definitely better. U can read up more on MCF for review.

For hyundai n Kia, both r using same engine. K3 have a better interior n leg room than elantra. N elantra elite trim took out some features like ventilated seats, etc. So may not be tat worth it.
Yup Mazda fuel consumption is good but leg spacing very jialat. Kia is good in overal but fuel consumption lose mazda... Got psycho-ed now to look at conti car liao... LOL!
Cutecuteforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #1976

Personally, i wld ask u to skip french made car (renault, opel, etc). Reliability is a qns. Thou i heard is getting better. Even VW also needa think twice.

If u dun need alot of space behind. Hatch is a good choice. Coz the boot space really cmi.. also i heard in case of accident (touchwood), hatch got more impact coz got no boot protection.

If u like hatch, can consider nissan pulsar, mazda 3 hatch or wait for hyundai i30. I dun think sedan is uncle la, look at e design of sedan now, all is so nice..

U own a car, watever sedan or hatch.. u also satki. As long as u dun overstretch, any car can also stylish. Hahah

I have flexible timing in my work though, so i can probably avoid the peak hours

Yup, I just completed as one of the management trainee in an MNC so I think they would not sack me easily given the time and resources in training me. (Finger cross praying hard)

Hmm, is hatchback the trend now? Somehow i feel hatchback like abit low class. I'm still green in this line so please enlighten me

Haha, i choose sedan because it look bigger and I thought it is more classy . I didn't look at Conti car especially hatchback... Is hatchback really better than sedan ? But Renault Clio seems elegant though

Yup Mazda fuel consumption is good but leg spacing very jialat. Kia is good in overal but fuel consumption lose mazda... Got psycho-ed now to look at conti car liao... LOL!
iceraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #1977
Supremacy Member

Opel is German automaker. Peugeot Renault is French. All these second tier conti have nice cars nowadays but you will take a big hit when it comes to resale value.

Hatchback doesn't mean low class la in my opinion. Sedan just seems more matured, stable, giving a more business like impression. Hatchback is younger vibe, if you dig that. That said, I'm driving a conti sedan myself and given my boy boy looks, people are quick to assume it's my dads car.

Got car in SG considered very lucky liao. As long as don't over stretch. Go for something that pulls you in, strong desirability, that makes you steal second glances even when walking away. That's what matters to me.
straweffigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #1978

When you start with a sedan... you will less likely buy a hatch after that.

My first car was a hatch. Miss it.
Old 30-08-2017, 01:07 AM   #1979
Arch-Supremacy Member

Always happy to help. Haha.
Well at least that is what i have been doing since my car ownership.
Thank You Bro for your assessment.
Really appreciate
~WindzStriker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #1980

Get a Honda grace from pi. Ridiculously big rear room and boot space. Earthdream engine eats lancer for 3 meals at one go.
soulmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.