HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Can you afford a car?

Like Tree144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #2236

Download the Motorist App

Be the SMARTEST Driver on the road when you have the Motorist App accompanying you at all times! Check out the Motorist App now! Find out more: https://www.motorist.sg/app-FaboGrPo
asqwgudetama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #2237
Supremacy Member

Need some advices - just started a family with a baby and looking out for a car. Daily would probably be sending wife to work and traveling to office and home. (22km a day) Should I consider a COE car first and test out for 3-4 years first before putting money in all for a brand new car?? But again - any tips on looking out for a still-can-use COE renewed car.

Or should consider a car that left about 3-4 years of COE?
GGGGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #2238

Need some advices - just started a family with a baby and looking out for a car. Daily would probably be sending wife to work and traveling to office and home. (22km a day) Should I consider a COE car first and test out for 3-4 years first before putting money in all for a brand new car?? But again - any tips on looking out for a still-can-use COE renewed car.

Or should consider a car that left about 3-4 years of COE?
Depends on whether you need the car urgently since you already have a baby, new cars can take months (Stock availability, COE bidding). If you're worried about maintenance/repairs, get from Certified Pre-owned programs or at least send the car to a trusted mechanic. Also, if you foresee yourself driving for 10 years a new car maybe a better option.
MisterAtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 01:27 AM   #2239

is it true cars from 2015-2019 are higher COE cos atrributed to the grab vs uber saga? Influx of PHV cars? I see all the Mazda 3 around that time like have quite high COE
believe88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 01:40 AM   #2240
Master Member

is it true cars from 2015-2019 are higher COE cos atrributed to the grab vs uber saga? Influx of PHV cars? I see all the Mazda 3 around that time like have quite high COE
all those Mazda 3s, Vezels, C-HRs probably deregistered and exported out of Singapore already.... not much SLD/SLE/SLF-registered cars around...
sinicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #2241

Has anyone calculated the cost of taking grab everyday versus owning a car? Like would taking grab everyday as compared to having the car be cheaper?
flyingpiginthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #2242

Has anyone calculated the cost of taking grab everyday versus owning a car? Like would taking grab everyday as compared to having the car be cheaper?
whats your distance? Compare grab with a new audi or a COE swift?
Old 03-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #2243
Arch-Supremacy Member

For me, home to office is around 15km. Grab Hitch around $11, Just Grab starts from $14 depending on surge. So round up I take 2 trips a day for $30, at roughly 22 weekdays a month. That is $660. So in my situation, personally I feel its still more worth it to use grab than owning a car which depreciates. I don't have to worry keeping my eyes on the busy road, nor sweating for a parking lot when I am rushing for time.

But of course, to each individual's different situation. Some may have family with elders and young children to drive around, thus owning a personal vehicle comes the convenience. I have taken a PHV hitch from a gentleman who has an amazing bargain renting the car at $30++ a day. He was telling me that it was a special offer from a friend. IMHO, if I am in his position, I would have rented the car too. Imagine after work I drive 1-2 trips, or hitch someone otw to office/home, basically it can cover the rental already. What I will need to pay is the petrol and parking only, which can be cover back if he drives a few hours of PHV on weekends on his own leisure not rushing for income.
kazuki666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #2244

Noob here. I am looking at aged 5-6 year old cars. One is a vios but its depre is so high cos the coe bought at 65k. Can i say not much people will consider buying this used car cos its depre is not worth it? Logically is like that right
Old 14-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #2245

Noob here. I am looking at aged 5-6 year old cars. One is a vios but its depre is so high cos the coe bought at 65k. Can i say not much people will consider buying this used car cos its depre is not worth it? Logically is like that right
Without knowing the exact details.

Yes likely not much people will consider buying if the depreciation is close equal or exceed the current new car depre.

It might still appeal to people who can't afford the DP for a brand new vios though, or someone who is not looking to drive past 5 years.
PsyClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #2246

Ok my turn to ask for advice.

Say I decided to buy a 10 year old car & renew COE, and paid up front for the COE ($40K) + car sale($10K).

If i wish to take a cheap car loan for liquidity, at which part of this process do i apply for the bank loan? I dont think they will allow the loan to be given after i pay off the car and COE right?
PsyClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #2247

Tried this Ocbc instant car loan feature. They say i can get a car up to 200+k. The loan amount like not make sense..

even 40k loan i scared alr, much less 200over thousand

Last edited by believe88; 22-01-2021 at 06:56 PM..
Old 24-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #2248
Supremacy Member

Tried this Ocbc instant car loan feature. They say i can get a car up to 200+k. The loan amount like not make sense..

even 40k loan i scared alr, much less 200over thousand
Lol out of curiosity, I went to try it out too.. the amount approved was also like OMG. Better take it with a pinch of salt...
fabiaN__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 12:58 PM   #2249
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok my turn to ask for advice.

Say I decided to buy a 10 year old car & renew COE, and paid up front for the COE ($40K) + car sale($10K).

If i wish to take a cheap car loan for liquidity, at which part of this process do i apply for the bank loan? I dont think they will allow the loan to be given after i pay off the car and COE right?
all loan have to be done before ownership transfer.

no bank will offer COE loan. if u wan loan you have to go through finance company.

another way is report the loan amount as coe + car , most bank will smell the fish as quite unlikely car price are high during the parf final year thus bank will reject loan application.
BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 12:58 PM   #2250

Lol out of curiosity, I went to try it out too.. the amount approved was also like OMG. Better take it with a pinch of salt...
exactly bro! I know i am a farmer with a average wage. But the loan does not make sense at all. Tried to find out how that number is calculated but nothing. I now have a bad impression of Ocbc due to this
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.