Can you afford a car?

Solidus_GZ

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, any Sales engineer here? how much you set aside to pay for your car? currently im driving my dad's car, loan already finish, the car is getz, i try to keep my petrol cost to max $400 per mth, my take home allowance is $800, i hope to save at least $1k per mth so that next year i can at least down pay a left 2-3 yr car....

is this feasible?

nixiak

Reaction score
hi, any Sales engineer here? how much you set aside to pay for your car? currently im driving my dad's car, loan already finish, the car is getz, i try to keep my petrol cost to max $400 per mth, my take home allowance is $800, i hope to save at least $1k per mth so that next year i can at least down pay a left 2-3 yr car....

is this feasible?

Buying car is a commitment, leasing is a short-term affair. If you intend to lease for 2 to 3 years, based on current rates, buying a car should be more worthwhile right. Correct me if I am wrong.

saysuzu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got money to get license, no money to buy car

such is life in singapore

somemore the freaking COE itself worth more than the car

warboy85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm leasing a car monthly. Don't need to worry about maintenance and road tax. Only petrol and season parking and I mostly drive non peak hours so don't effect much on ERP. No tie down to any contract as I can terminate anytime needed if I don't have the cash anymore.

no need 1 year contract meh?

kimota11

Reaction score
I'm leasing a car monthly. Don't need to worry about maintenance and road tax. Only petrol and season parking and I mostly drive non peak hours so don't effect much on ERP. No tie down to any contract as I can terminate anytime needed if I don't have the cash anymore.

which leasing co please? and the rental rate?

lasnoblur

Master Member
Reaction score
Pros of driving
1. Convenient
2. Generally faster than public transport in most cases.
3. More comfortable than taking public transport

Cons
1. driving might not be faster than public transport during peak hours.
2. Hard to find parking at peak hours
3. Parking at certain places is expensive.
4. Cost of car + maintaining it
5. Have to tolerate the other road users who always do dangerous stunts. (Accidents always possible)
6. erp

Granzon

Reaction score

is this feasible?

Can you advise me how old are you currently? I will advise you not to buy a car until your income is stable. By "stable", I meant that you do not have to make extra efforts to save extra hard just to pay for the car instalments and that you won't cringe and wince in pain if you get the occasional fine or typical wear and tear repairs expected of a car owner.

jumpmanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can you advise me how old are you currently? I will advise you not to buy a car until your income is stable. By "stable", I meant that you do not have to make extra efforts to save extra hard just to pay for the car instalments and that you won't cringe and wince in pain if you get the occasional fine or typical wear and tear repairs expected of a car owner.
i suggest getting a low maintanence ride too. wear and tear repairs can be troublesome and inconvenient plus downtime.
been there and done that for a opel combo owner.

Solidus_GZ

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply
I'm 29 this year
Currently car left 1.5 yr
My take home is 3.2 k.
Plan to save at least 1 k every mth from now till car scrapped for the down payment of next car
I did some maths on owning a used car
And I find that it was crazy, not only I drain my savings on the downpayment
I also need to vomit out 600-700 per month just for the installment
Plus 400 -500 for petrol
Carpark erp another 2 to 300
Haven't include insurance and road tax
Smelly smelly need at least 2k to set aside each mth to stay alive

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2K is about it even for owning an entry car in singapore.

don't just admire other people's car, coz u don't know what these people go through. haha.

benoit_nly

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply
I'm 29 this year
My take home is 3.2 k.
Plan to save at least 1 k every mth from now till car scrapped for the down payment of next car
Plus 400 -500 for petrol

chooorrr ah...

zeppelin

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply
I'm 29 this year
My take home is 3.2 k.
Plus 400 -500 for petrol

You forgot car maintenance $$.......wahahahahahahahaha,
Will definitely drain out........

Bruce_Leong

Reaction score
No point owning a car unless you can afford it. It's horribly expensive just to buy one, let alone maintain. Might be more worth it to rent a car when the need arises.

AE2012

Reaction score
Hi, we are a couple looking to buy a used car for the purpose of commuting to Tuas (work) from Simei (home). Our thoughts are that efficient fuel consumption is an important consideration.

We can afford about S$20,000 to S$25,000 for the down payment for a used car.

Question 1: Any recommendation for a used car and what is the year of registration that we should be looking out for? (Note: We are thinking of a Toyota Vios or Honda Jazz but would appreciate if anyone has a better suggestion. We really like the Volkswagen Beetle but find that the fuel consumption is not as efficient as a Toyota Vios or Honda Jazz.)

Question 2: How are Korean cars compared to Toyota Vios or Honda Jazz (generally, e.g. driving experience, maintenance and fuel consumption?

We appreciate any opinion : ) Thanks.

AE

Last edited:

Bruce_Leong

Reaction score
Hi, we are a couple looking to buy a used car for the purpose of commuting to Tuas (work) from Simei (home). Our thoughts are that efficient fuel consumption is an important consideration.

Question 1: Any recommendation for a used car and what is the year of registration that we should be looking out for? (Note: We are thinking of a Toyota Vios or Honda Jazz but would appreciate if anyone has a better suggestion. We really like the Volkswagen Beetle but find that the fuel consumption is not as efficient as a Toyota Vios or Honda Jazz.)

Question 2: How are Korean cars compared to Toyota Vios or Honda Jazz (generally, e.g. driving experience, maintenance and fuel consumption?

AE

Korean cars aren't that different from their Japanese counterparts, other that the fact that they tend to be styled better in my opinion. Another small car you can consider is the Ford Focus. As far as I can tell, most people find the car more dynamically fun to drive, and the maintenance and fuel is rather good too.

Cyberbaby

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

AE

Vios & Jazz is definitely a wiser choice, not only low on FC but also low on maintenance, but getting a resale car is a tricky part which you might end up getting a lemon car etc.

Some of the model you can look into is Nissan Latio or Sylphy and if you are just 2 person at the moment or first timer, you may want to consider Suzuki Swift as well.

As for the year, this is subjective as we do not know how long you intend to drive, but for the rule of 40% down, you may want to look for year 2008/2009 makes.

As for Q2, you can take a look at Hyundai i30 or Avante. Drove i30 before, IMO cannot compare with Jazz for handling and driving experience and as for Avante, sat as a passenger, nothing special or thrills but able to meet your normal daily needs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.