HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Car insurance on second hand car

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

Car insurance on second hand car

Hi all,

Newbie here, need your advice. Now that Iíve found the car that I want to purchase, my dealer is asking me to purchase insurance from them, however I think itís better for me to purchase car insurance on my own. Can that be done? Whatís the recommended procedure?

All the checks have been done, price negotiated, now itís just getting insurance and signing the papers.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Phyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #2

if getting insurance from outside source, this is also another option.
since you know what you want and want to save money, then you are not newbie loh
bh10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

If they don't give a further rebate for getting insurance from them, then just get from outside lah
Gymrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #4

if getting insurance from outside source, this is also another option.
since you know what you want and want to save money, then you are not newbie loh
Thanks! But my dealer is asking us to buy from them, because they say insurance we need to take finance, so better take from their finance side, if not there is a lot of hassle and if insurance cert and hire purchase bank/policy number is wrong, my loan will not be disimbursed?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

No such thing. Your loan going through them or through bank?

Thanks! But my dealer is asking us to buy from them, because they say insurance we need to take finance, so better take from their finance side, if not there is a lot of hassle and if insurance cert and hire purchase bank/policy number is wrong, my loan will not be disimbursed?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

doesnt matter.. is whether you want to followup on paperwork anot?
bh10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

If the price difference is not huge, go with them for the first year, then switch after
Gymrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #8

My loan is going through them, but they applied for me with bank, and bank approved.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dont listen to their BS la.. what loan tied with insurance. lol

If you take up insurance with them, they can get commission mah.
winorlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #10

First year just take with dealer.

Some dealer got surcharge if u ownself apply insurance.
SuperSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
EJB
High Supremacy Member

They are doing scare tactics, you better think carefully if you wanna buy from such a dealer.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

They are doing scare tactics, you better think carefully if you wanna buy from such a dealer.
Yes, I feel so as well...but then me and my husband kind of got pressured into putting our deposit down..anyway whatever has passed has passed, we just want to settle the insurance and move forward, thats why wondering if it's a MUST to buy from dealer.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Yes, I feel so as well...but then me and my husband kind of got pressured into putting our deposit down..anyway whatever has passed has passed, we just want to settle the insurance and move forward, thats why wondering if it's a MUST to buy from dealer.
"Must" is a no unless your purchase agreement got specify.
Xcert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

That’s normally the case for brand new and AD cars. But 2nd hand resellers normally will try to ‘carrot’ the buyers so got to watch out. Have a feeling this dealer TS dealing with trying to pull a fast one.

First year just take with dealer.

Some dealer got surcharge if u ownself apply insurance.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
Master Member

Hi all,

Newbie here, need your advice. Now that Iíve found the car that I want to purchase, my dealer is asking me to purchase insurance from them, however I think itís better for me to purchase car insurance on my own. Can that be done? Whatís the recommended procedure?

All the checks have been done, price negotiated, now itís just getting insurance and signing the papers.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
2nd car dealer, get their comms thru sell you car, loan and insurance you take thru them.

If everything you do yourself, then sure there is no room for you to nego on the price of the car. Plus what you had requested them to done up maybe scaled back.
Is chicken and egg thingy.
So you have weight it.
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.