Supremacy Member

Do review!

Maybe will use this after exiting stock runs out.... haha
liquidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #32
Supremacy Member

Cheap?

I know Kah Motor use. But not Borneo

why Shell has the worst engine oil? then why ADs are still using Shell EO leh?
fake_oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #33
High Supremacy Member

Cheap?

I know Kah Motor use. But not Borneo

Motor Image also uses shell helix ultra
Shutterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #34
Master Member

The Shell oil supplied to most ADs are not the same as retail.
e.g. Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG

if want to use cheap oil but scared of dubious brands, just get Toyota or Lexus oil.
API SN, fully synthetic around $40

Last edited by Asure7; 11-09-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Asure7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #35

Just to point out 1 perception we often fall prey to -

1) used for f1 race cars, must be good for our bnb cars also

2) we equate that the most expensive thing is always the best for all situations

First of all, F1 race cars are designed to provide the most power during their race. After each race all the parts are replaced. They dun have to worry about making the parts last 10 years. Power, speed and winning races are the priorities. As long as can last a few hours of heavy abuse, can leow. Some things pit stop can change, other things after race can replace. Their EO for example, is designed to be more fire resistant and continue working at 10k+ RPM, at the expense of fuel economy and long term protection.

Sports cars designed for road use are toned down a lot. But even so, still hard to last 10 years without expensive part replacements. Plus, they where got worry about FC.

The expensive compounds they put into the EO to make it not burn up at 10k+ rpm, why would you need it if your car is physically capped at 7k rpm, esp if it sacrifices FC and durability.

So expensive things may not be the best for your car. Same theory with a lot of other car mods. Even petrol (RON 95/98/100 etc)
Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #36

Funny analogy that just came to mind due to a different thread -

1 of the dept for a certain company has 5 employees.

EO for race car is like:
Of out that 5, 2 are expensive managers that spends time fighting off heated complaints. Actual work only done by 3 staff.

Normal BnB EO is like:
Only need 1 expensive manager coz got less heated complaints. But has 4 actual staff handling the daily work and make thibgs run more smoothly. And also cost less.

But but, why can't we have 2 managers and 4 staff then? Because there's only room for 5 headcounts. Just like each litre of EO only have rooom to fit a bit of each additive/compound before it loses the ability to lubricate.

Plus, if we know that the dept won't ever get so much complaints, there's no need for extra expensive managers. Pay them to do nothing coz they cannot do the normal operations work.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

Most brands got both high end and low end products.
Just by brand itself, doesn't show everything.

If you want by just brand alone, here's top 50 voted by drivers:
https://www.thetoptens.com/best-motor-oil-brands/

Shell Ultra Helix is actually quite ok. An actual viscosity test of a few brands:
(Faster flow is better, you want the engine to become lubricated fast)

Additionally, if you want to improve FC, use oil that is less thick. ie instead of 5w40, change to 5w30. But pls check what is recommended in your car manual. Some cars cannot use oil that is too thin as it will damage the engine. I am using very thin 0w20 because that is what Honda recommends for my particular car engine.

Finally, lan jiao teach me - if you want to pamper your car and change from $10/L EO to with expensive $40+/L EO, it's fine. But the most important thing is change it often. No matter how good the oil, with engine spinning at 1k rpm to 7k rpm, the oil will burn.

Use cheaper normal EO but change at 5,000 km is better than use highend and change at 10,000 km.
And that is better than use expensive top of the line super duper EO oil, but change only at 20,000 km.
Usually 0w20 is used in cold weather only.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #38

Usually 0w20 is used in cold weather only.
Exactly!

This was a big point of discussion amongst the Fit Hybrid group members.
In the end, refer to car manual and Malaysia Honda Hybrid manual. All suggest 0W20.

Turns out that being able to function in colder temperatures require a thinner and more viscous oil. Thinner oil flows much faster and gives better FC. However, the engine must be designed to take it.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #39
Master Member

Just use whatever stated inside your owner manual... Simple... Inside just state whatever w-xx for what temp you are driving..
hachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #40

Just use whatever stated inside your owner manual... Simple... Inside just state whatever w-xx for what temp you are driving..
Yup, this is best.

Mine is a bit more simpler. 0W20, Honda Ultra Green (0W16) and Honda Ultra Next (0W8) for all temperatures:

But for some other cars, different environment temperature range might require different types.

Last edited by Orphan; 12-09-2019 at 09:14 AM..
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #41
Master Member

0-20W oil not cheap for 4l. A quick check, all more than $45.
hachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #42

0-20W oil not cheap for 4l. A quick check, all more than $45.
$45 for 4L can find, and not really japalang brand. But yes, in general slightly more expensive than the thicker oils. Coz dun have as many manufacturers with the technology, and dun have as big a market to make it worthwhile to invest in the equipment.

Even now that there's 0w8, but how many cars on the road have engines machined precise enough to use it, and will owners dare/want to use. 0w20 ppl already find it a bit extreme leow. Mainly used by the small percentage of hybrid cars.

Honestly, if I am driving a petrol only car, I also won't dare to use 0w20.

Last edited by Orphan; 12-09-2019 at 05:40 PM..
Old 12-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #43
High Supremacy Member

My car drink 5.1l eo
Cheapest eo change also about 60 liao

Last edited by Shutterbox; 12-09-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Shutterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #44

Quite much agreed.
Lol I just realized that I said lan jiao teach me instead of lao jiao teach me... sorry for that!
Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #45
Supremacy Member

My previous car 3l. Current car > 6l. But I still change every 6,000km. My friend said I’m wasting money. But thing is I don’t but expensive oil.

My car drink 5.1l eo
Cheapest eo change also about 60 liao
liquidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.