HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Grab & Go-Jek driver lip lai - Part 8

Like Tree72Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #1171
Supremacy Member

Enough honey and money. Win win for all.
———

Passengers and drivers welcome honeymoon period with Gojek

SINGAPORE - Customer service agent Joena Shivani used to commute both ways using a Grab car from her home in Tampines and her workplace in Little India. But since Gojek's arrival in late November, its lower prices have*drawn the 41-year-old who has saved about $240 in the six weeks since she made the switch.

While the Gojek beta app offered only rides beginning and ending in the eastern and south-central parts of Singapore initially, it has since expanded its coverage nationwide on Jan 2.

Its lower fares are the main attraction, said users.

Public relations consultant Gayle Lim, 23, who saves about $2 every trip she takes with Gojek, said: "It's not much by itself, but a few dollars here and there really adds up, especially if you are taking these cars very often because of work.

"I will go for whichever service is the cheapest."

A check by The Straits Times on prices at different timings over three days found that Gojek's fares were slightly lower than Grab's when surge pricing is not in effect.

Some commuters said that while Grab's other options GrabShare and GrabHitch are cheaper alternatives, there are downsides.

Undergraduate Mitchell Tan, 24, said: "I only take cabs when I urgently need to go somewhere, and*the advance*booking for GrabHitch does not allow that.

"I have also seen situations where the Gojek fare is cheaper than the GrabShare fare."

Despite the lower fares, private-hire drivers The Straits Times spoke to said they have seen their earnings rise by between 15 per cent and 40 per cent after switching to Gojek due to the higher incentives offered.

Gojek operates a point-based incentive system that awards drivers a cash bonus for every milestone they reach in a day.

A non-peak-hour and a peak-hour trip are one point and 1.5 points respectively. Incentives are divided into five tiers with the highest requiring 30 points to earn a $310 bonus.

In contrast, Grab's incentive system is based on the number of trips completed in a week and benchmarks vary based on what milestones they had previously achieved, noted drivers who have previously driven for Grab.

Ms Debbie Ong, 50, said the daily incentive system is less stressful for drivers. She has worked as a private-hire driver for almost three years and in an average eight-hour workday, she could pocket net*earnings of around $200, about 40 per cent more than what she would earn with Grab.

She said: "I get to decide if I can rest once I hit my targets for the day. I don't have to worry about whether I can reach the trips required for the rest of the week."

Despite Gojek's presence, Grab remains bullish about its prospects.

Mr Lim Kell Jay, head of Grab Singapore, told The Straits Times that its operations have been unaffected by Gojek's expansion.

"Drivers and passengers continue to choose Grab as we continue to focus on their needs and look at ways to bring more long-term value to them," he said.

Grab had been rolling out improvements in the last few months even before Gojek's entry, amid rumours of the Indonesian firm's arrival.

It introduced a programme in October that gives drivers a guaranteed fare level should they meet preset benchmarks in terms of trips completed and time spent online on the Grab app.

On Wednesday, the firm unveiled two subscription plans that Mr Lim said would give users more value. For example, a pass sold at $109 allows users to enjoy $10 off 20 rides, which translates into savings of $91 monthly.

Bok Chek Yang, 38, administrator of the PHV Riders and Drivers Singapore Facebook group, said these schemes can help Grab to retain commuters as they "provide substantial savings for regular users".

As a new player here, Gojek has had some hiccups. Drivers say the app loses out to Grab in terms of matching them with nearby passengers, and that waiting times in between trips are generally much longer due to a smaller pool of customers.

Glitches sometimes occur on the beta app, with drivers complaining of occasions when incentive payouts are delayed, or when the points they earn are inaccurately calculated.

In addition, riders can cancel bookings but indicate that the driver asked for it. This affects the drivers' acceptance rate, and the issue has been flagged as a major problem by many drivers.

Any driver*who falls below a 85 per cent acceptance rating will not be eligible for their daily bonus.

A Gojek spokesman said that it constantly reviews its drivers' incentive scheme to ensure it remains "fair and robust".*"If driver-partners have questions about the app, they should get in touch directly with Gojek via our in-app help function or hotline. This will help us create the best user experience for them and riders."

As Gojek continues to expand its base, it is unclear how long the honeymoon of financial incentives for users and drivers will last. Ms Ong said: "They will definitely be lower in the future, as this is how businesses work."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...re-how-long-it
Old 13-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #1172
Supremacy Member

Superhero Gojek is not here for honeymoon; it is here to stay.

————

Gojek's measured entry into Singapore could be part of its long-term goals, say experts

SINGAPORE -Indonesian ride-hailing firm Gojek's measured entry into Singapore is symptomatic of the market conditions here and also hints at its long-term strategy, said transport experts.

Unlike local players such as Ryde and Tada, Gojek has the depth and resources to be a serious contender to Grab but "the era of expanding by just burning cash is going away", noted Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) transport researcher Park Byung Joon.

Gojek launched a beta version of its app here on Nov 29 last year with several restrictions. Only rides beginning and ending in the eastern and south-central part of Singapore were available - services were extended islandwide only from Jan 2 - and access to the app was limited.

The multi-function app firm - its services in Indonesia include food, massages and payment - has set aside US$500 million (S$676 million) to expand in South-east Asia, going head-to-head with Grab.

So it is surprising Gojek has not been more aggressive in its approach here given that the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) "had essentially set aside 30 per cent of*market share for the second guy, and right now there is probably no other company in competition," noted Dr Park.

Last September, the CCCS said that the merger between ride-hailing firms Grab and Uber had violated competition laws. It said the deal had resulted in Grab getting an 80 per cent share of the Republic's ride-hailing market, up from 50 per cent previously.

As a result, the commission set out directions aimed at easing the impact on both riders and drivers and levelling the playing field for other competitors.

One possible reason for Gojek's slow roll-out was that it might be reviewing its initial business plan and to get funding, they need to demonstrate to investors how profitable they can potentially be, noted Dr Park.

After all, driver and commuter recruitment on a large scale here is expensive, said SUSS' transport economist Walter Theseira

"The drivers in particular are hard to get, because they have to be lured away from Grab or taxi companies, with wage incentives."

While it remains possible Gojek's goal is to supplant Grab, another possibility could be to grow large enough that Grab looks to make a deal, said Dr Theseira, or it could even merely be using ride-hailing as an entry point to build their other business lines.

Based on the experiences of ride-hailing companies worldwide, it is a service that struggles to be profitable, he said.

"The growth prospects now are in food delivery payments and other personal services. Basically, they (Gojek) aren't going to be able to deliver an interesting growth story with ride hailing in the Singapore market, so I expect attention to turn to these other products soon."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ls-say-experts
Old 13-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #1173

Reached home. Time to go NTUC with wifey... phv husband job not easy to do...

Drive safe guys. Pretty piang tonight!
Old 13-01-2019, 01:23 AM   #1174

Yeah abit risky
Managed to hit 30 pts. Last job at 1257am. Hengz!
dc10000 likes this.
Old 13-01-2019, 01:42 AM   #1175

Hello guys, just wanna clarify, gj's peak hours follow sg time zone or indo time zone? Gam xia many!
Old 13-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #1176

Sounds like these student cheating in exam on these classic tv show. 😂

Strange but some driver indeed not suitable to drive for people.

I got a driver sometimes ago. Driving with his phone between his thigh. And do not had a ear piece too. Along the journey, keep looking at it for direction. Hais
Old 13-01-2019, 02:35 AM   #1177

Perhaps we can invest in loudhailer? Cannot find them announce their name loud loud.

Today also couldn't find a rider. Call also don't pick up. Only txt where are you.

Circle around the whole building two times still no sign of her, somemore the building around all one way street.

In the end have to cancel.

Sometimes this hide and seek really tough on driver.

Last edited by Chris8510; 13-01-2019 at 03:02 AM..
Old 13-01-2019, 02:46 AM   #1178

Congrats 🎈🎉🍾

dc10000 likes this.
Old 13-01-2019, 02:55 AM   #1179
Great Supremacy Member

Folo sgp.
Indo and sgp different ball game
Old 13-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #1180
Master Member

Nothing much quiet night... Nothing interesting no chio bu no waterfall cave. Boring. But gwab jht....nett hourly at 35$!!!. Go back rest a while. Today chu chia again in the day from 9am to 9pm.....

Sent from OPPO CPH1701 using GAGT
Old 13-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #1181

Lucky me last ride before 12am
Well done bro and always remember calculations is till 1 am.
Old 13-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #1182

Congrats bro!
Old 13-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #1183
Master Member

Wa everybody doing gj now

Never mind I do gwab. Still need to service gwab riders.... When people doing something else... I'll do the opposite!!!

No people like me where got people like you

Well done bro and always remember calculations is till 1 am.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #1184
Master Member

Grab good surge. 1hr $60 nett. Huat ah

#iloveGrab
Old 13-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #1185
Master Member

Finally kena one as usual abnn. Book gs put two pax but only he alone.... After that ask me any pick up..... I happily say yes!!?? You want fast fast and cheap I go slow slow. After picking up second rider abnn ask who drop first.... App tell me hahaha happily laughing in my heart, the lady drop first.

In the end abnn last to drop.... I xi bei song!!!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.