Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hit and run parked car

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ggdotcomzzz
  • 1 Post By Seah.tt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #1

Hit and run parked car

Hi guys. Looking for advice here. Quite epic story in my opinion.

Postman delivery van parked beside my car, came up to deliver parcel to me. At the same time got 2 plainclothes police officers at my neighbor house beside mine for unrelated case. Postman went back to van and drive off but suddenly got loud bang which alerted the police officers.

They quickly went down to see and take a look at the damage, and told my neighbor to inform us. Police officer told us that he will be our witness.

Brother and I went to hunt for this hit and run driver. Turned out that he continued to do his delivery a few blocks away. Lucky us.

So he admitted he banged in my car when turning out of the lot, and wanted to go back to my car after he was done with his deliveries. Do you seriously believe that? He left without a note.

So we got him to write a statement with his NRIC and driving license taken as well. Took some photos of the damage on his van. Eventually we called the police down for assistance. Told us that they canít do anything so we had to submit a TP report.

TLDR: how does the claim procedure work? Ask my insurer to claim against the companyís insurer or what? Do I need to pay for the damages first or do OD claim?

Thanks...
myviowner likes this.
Ggdotcomzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 12:42 AM   #2

Hmm, no one injure. Nothing will happen to him as this is consider minor accident. Advice you to file insurance claim.

Dun waste time, police say witness. OK take down and make a tp report that claim the police is witness. Most probably if able then get a fine plus points.

Small issue, he wun go jail.

For insurance claim, u see Yr cover letter or call Yr insurance company. They will tell to go to their accident reporting centre. U attached the police report and u describe what happen with Yr video if any. After that he will go take some photos, u sign and rent u a similar cc car to drive for a few days but u need to top up petrol back for them. No need to pay a single cents. All paid by insurance. Yr ncd will not be affected. Normally they will change a new part for your car and respray to the same colour. All brand new.

Last edited by CaptainTeo; 30-05-2020 at 12:47 AM..
CaptainTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 12:53 AM   #3

Thanks bro for fast reply... good and detailed answer!

But Jialat the thing is my IROAD has been dying on me recently. Looked at the SD card but didnít record the incident. I guess the written statement by the delivery guy is sufficient to rule him guilty right?

Btw do I need to go to my accident reporting center within 24 hrs or sth?
Old 30-05-2020, 04:26 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

yes cannot drag the reporting

Sent from Your CPF Special Account using GAGT
Seah.tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 04:27 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

One of the most important things to do after an accident is to report your accident to your insurer within 24 hours, or by the next working day.

Sent from Your CPF Special Account using GAGT
myviowner likes this.
Seah.tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Master Member

Hi guys. Looking for advice here. Quite epic story in my opinion.

Postman delivery van parked beside my car, came up to deliver parcel to me. At the same time got 2 plainclothes police officers at my neighbor house beside mine for unrelated case. Postman went back to van and drive off but suddenly got loud bang which alerted the police officers.

They quickly went down to see and take a look at the damage, and told my neighbor to inform us. Police officer told us that he will be our witness.

Brother and I went to hunt for this hit and run driver. Turned out that he continued to do his delivery a few blocks away. Lucky us.

So he admitted he banged in my car when turning out of the lot, and wanted to go back to my car after he was done with his deliveries. Do you seriously believe that? He left without a note.

So we got him to write a statement with his NRIC and driving license taken as well. Took some photos of the damage on his van. Eventually we called the police down for assistance. Told us that they can’t do anything so we had to submit a TP report.

TLDR: how does the claim procedure work? Ask my insurer to claim against the company’s insurer or what? Do I need to pay for the damages first or do OD claim?

Thanks...
As other suggested, report this case ASAP. Let your insurance company deal with the other parties.
With or without the cam video/ witness does not serve any better for your case, since you have the pictures and the other's party particular.
Is straight forward for your case. You are in the winning side. Get your car repaired at your insurance coy appointed workshop and move on.
Ignore the other's party call if he did contact you for private settlement or what. Just tell him talk to insurance coy as you had reported.
No injury/ damages to public property , don't need report to SPF.
Get a new cam installed as well.

Last edited by myviowner; 30-05-2020 at 11:35 AM..
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
Master Member

Thanks bro for fast reply... good and detailed answer!

But Jialat the thing is my IROAD has been dying on me recently. Looked at the SD card but didnít record the incident. I guess the written statement by the delivery guy is sufficient to rule him guilty right?

Btw do I need to go to my accident reporting center within 24 hrs or sth?
Get a new cam install in your ride soon. That statement written by the other party is in favor on you. Keep it as back up and do submit together when you make a report to your insurance coy appointed workshop.
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Never ask the delivery guy if wanna private settlement?
tannl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 12:27 AM   #9

Updates here...
Decided to go for insurance claim since the driver didnít want to cooperate. Insurance claim already settled.

Also emailed SingPost about the incident and what they intend to do to compensate me for my loss of time and inconvenience. But the customer service guy is missing the point and asking me to submit insurance claim to him instead.

Any idea what kind of possible compensation I can get from them? Or should I not waste time with them
Old 30-07-2020, 12:59 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

Updates here...
Decided to go for insurance claim since the driver didnít want to cooperate. Insurance claim already settled.

Also emailed SingPost about the incident and what they intend to do to compensate me for my loss of time and inconvenience. But the customer service guy is missing the point and asking me to submit insurance claim to him instead.

Any idea what kind of possible compensation I can get from them? Or should I not waste time with them
Probably just move on with your life and close the chapter. No point dragging it on and on
Gymrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #11
Master Member

Probably just move on with your life and close the chapter. No point dragging it on and on
Yea move on. Since u already claimed insurance.
Like normal accident without injuries, u claim the other party insurance and move on.
mel1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

Just let the insurance company settle. That's the reason why u pay for the premiums. U want to chase singpost, ask them to go chase on your behalf.

Sent from 雪花飘飘北风啸啸, 天地一片苍茫
一剪寒梅, 傲立雪中, 只为伊人飘香 using GAGT
hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #13
Master Member

Install a new camera.
zack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.