HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Honda Civic vs Subaru Impreza

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2018, 12:43 AM   #16

According to ur experience, Subaru is not as reliable as Honda, right? Well you are right, the features are really attractive for Subaru
I'm not sure about the reliability of Honda vs Subaru, but just in terms of interior quality, comfort, noise insulation etc. Subaru easily lose hands down.

However, in terms of mechanical aspects such as the engine and gear box, I don't think there is much of a reliability issue. I'm driving a near 10 year Subaru and the engine/manual gearbox is still in pretty good condition. Due to the boxer engine design (caveat- I have no idea if the previous owner changed the engine mounts) I totally do not experience any idling vibrations.

The new Subaru has a much nicer interior, and given the current price tag, it seems very value-for-money. Probably the cheapest 2.0L Jap make around?
Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #17

How to choose between Honda Civic 1.6L vs Subaru Impreza 2.0L? What is the advantages and disadvantages over one and another? Price difference is around 7k. It seems that Impreza is pretty minority but the reviews are good in US.

Subaru 2.0 car Vs Honda 1.6,almost same price.
Just like kia/hyundai 2.0 car Vs jap car 1.6,almost same price and that is 10yrs ago.
I am the one who go into it 10yrs ago.
Take note.
Insurance,road tax and FC all more expensive.
If you can drive for full 10yrs and don't mind the above,then Subaru.
If you are the one who wants to change car every few years,then Honda.
Better second hand car value and much easy to sell.
sktan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #18

So you do not recommend this model am I right? Actually I cannot feel the big difference by test riding.
Try 1.5 Turbo & 1.6 NA.
When u test, road clear step hard to get a feel for both. Then u can compare.
But for people who use to driving bigger CC or turbo cars, just one time test & can feel the diff.
mel1888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #19

Definitely yes. The price is very attractive. But in terms of maintenance cost, the part price listed in sgcarmart is comparable with each other. FC they claim both 15km/L. Road Tax is higher for 2.0L. Insurance I am not sure. I am not sure I am right or not, I cannot tell a big difference wrt maintenance.
Do you have any idea?

I'm not sure about the reliability of Honda vs Subaru, but just in terms of interior quality, comfort, noise insulation etc. Subaru easily lose hands down.

However, in terms of mechanical aspects such as the engine and gear box, I don't think there is much of a reliability issue. I'm driving a near 10 year Subaru and the engine/manual gearbox is still in pretty good condition. Due to the boxer engine design (caveat- I have no idea if the previous owner changed the engine mounts) I totally do not experience any idling vibrations.

The new Subaru has a much nicer interior, and given the current price tag, it seems very value-for-money. Probably the cheapest 2.0L Jap make around?
toddyfanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #20

Thanks for the suggestion. Very good and pertinent point.

Subaru 2.0 car Vs Honda 1.6,almost same price.
Just like kia/hyundai 2.0 car Vs jap car 1.6,almost same price and that is 10yrs ago.
I am the one who go into it 10yrs ago.
Take note.
Insurance,road tax and FC all more expensive.
If you can drive for full 10yrs and don't mind the above,then Subaru.
If you are the one who wants to change car every few years,then Honda.
Better second hand car value and much easy to sell.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #21

I see, I am jut pretty new to car and I do not feel to many cars. Thanks for pointing this out

Try 1.5 Turbo & 1.6 NA.
When u test, road clear step hard to get a feel for both. Then u can compare.
But for people who use to driving bigger CC or turbo cars, just one time test & can feel the diff.
Old 14-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #22

Definitely yes. The price is very attractive. But in terms of maintenance cost, the part price listed in sgcarmart is comparable with each other. FC they claim both 15km/L. Road Tax is higher for 2.0L. Insurance I am not sure. I am not sure I am right or not, I cannot tell a big difference wrt maintenance.
Do you have any idea?
I'm not sure on the relative maintenance costs too, but you can head over to the othr car forum, they have long running threads on both cars, very informative
Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

Honda civic must take 1.8 cos 1.6 not so powerful. Also if talking about repairing cost. Honda will be cheaper alot than Subaru.
1.8 your head lah, is FC not FD, 1.5turbo or 1.6
happinesscuminpairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

The AD for Honda only offer 1.6L. Only PI can offer 1.8L
PI so far 1.0 turbo go Bolehland get the 1.8
Old 14-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do you have any idea?
15km/L u wait Long Long! 1.6 is the time down R18. City driving same as 2L FC.
Impreza 2L also FC jialat jialat one, expect between 9 to 12km/L.
Both branded as Ah Beng car so donít expect insurance to be cheap but then depend on many factor.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #26
Greater Supremacy Member

I will choose honda 1.6

Subaru part ex and f/c jialat
Old 18-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #27

Subaru Pros :
- Boxer engine 4wheel drive, best 4wd system, very stable ride.
- Many aftermaket stuffs to modify.
- Cheaper than honda, lower depreciation.

Cons:
- underpower due to heavy body + power to all 4 wheels. ( u use same body as turbo version )
- slightly higher wear and tear.
- slightly higher maintenance
- high chance no resale value
- considered ahbeng brand by the public

Civic pro :
- better interior build than subaru
- more powerful
- also many parts to modify
- Easier to resell

Civic cons:
- Slightly overprice in its class
- nothing much else.

Speaking from my opinion cuz i drove both civic, NA subaru and turbo subaru before.
Since both cars are NA, both engine & gearbox should be quite safe.
As to whether the car breakdown, depends on your luck.
ZWH rebmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #28

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation. Why Subaru is treated as a Ah Beng brand?

Subaru Pros :
- Boxer engine 4wheel drive, best 4wd system, very stable ride.
- Many aftermaket stuffs to modify.
- Cheaper than honda, lower depreciation.

Cons:
- underpower due to heavy body + power to all 4 wheels. ( u use same body as turbo version )
- slightly higher wear and tear.
- slightly higher maintenance
- high chance no resale value
- considered ahbeng brand by the public

Civic pro :
- better interior build than subaru
- more powerful
- also many parts to modify
- Easier to resell

Civic cons:
- Slightly overprice in its class
- nothing much else.

Speaking from my opinion cuz i drove both civic, NA subaru and turbo subaru before.
Since both cars are NA, both engine & gearbox should be quite safe.
As to whether the car breakdown, depends on your luck.
Old 18-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #29
Master Member

Thread starter should go test drive both car to get a feel of the car.in general 2.0l engine will still better than 1.6L .

Subaru cars are reliable, you will appreciate the AWD under wet condition. It is real stable .

I was a Subaru WRX and #STI owner for the past 15 years. I drove the STI (lightly tuned, with complete stock engine) for 9 years with super super low maintenance,I don't pay more than those 1.6L NA car for maintenance(change engine oil, gear oil,Sparks ), clutch changed once, timing belt /radiator once. Mileage:150k .

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT
HMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #30

Thread starter should go test drive both car to get a feel of the car.in general 2.0l engine will still better than 1.6L .

Subaru cars are reliable, you will appreciate the AWD under wet condition. It is real stable .

I was a Subaru WRX and #STI owner for the past 15 years. I drove the STI (lightly tuned, with complete stock engine) for 9 years with super super low maintenance,I don't pay more than those 1.6L NA car for maintenance(change engine oil, gear oil,Sparks ), clutch changed once, timing belt /radiator once. Mileage:150k .

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

As for me, my 2.0 NA Korean car,after warranty,only use those cheap $38 to $48 cheap package car servicing till mileage 150k then sold it away.
Nothing has been change except one set of brake pad and two head light bulb and one tail light bulb, lol...
sktan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.