HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

how does buying a car work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

Talking how does buying a car work?

hi all, could anyone enlighten the process for buying a car? If I am interested to purchase a car on ROPC, how would that work? I understand usually the dealer will bid the COE on your behalf, will going for a ROPC car change this process? Do we need to communicate this to the SE? Or is this more of a post-buying process where you convert to a red plate after purchase and then separately receive the rebate?
proton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Just tell the sales agent you want to buy the car under ROPC and they’ll handle the rest. You’ll get the car with red plates upon delivery.
Conan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

Just tell the sales agent you want to buy the car under ROPC and they’ll handle the rest. You’ll get the car with red plates upon delivery.
Thank you. Is there any chances that the sales agents will try to mark up / give less discounts if its ROPC car that I'm going for?
Old 21-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

Thank you. Is there any chances that the sales agents will try to mark up / give less discounts if its ROPC car that I'm going for?
first, choose the car you want to buy.
only after this, you tell the SE that you want OPC scheme.
it is the retail price - 17000 + 100to200 admin fee. so teh final price you pay will be a little more than -17K.

on the contrary, on top of hte standard discounts, you should and must ask for more giveaways because the car price includes 1 year road tax paid by the dealer, but with ROPC, they paid $500 less for you. so ask for more things, not less than normal plate.
For insurance package from the dealer(if u must take it from the dealer), make sure it is meant for OPC insurance, which should be cheaper.
warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

first, choose the car you want to buy.
only after this, you tell the SE that you want OPC scheme.
it is the retail price - 17000 + 100to200 admin fee. so teh final price you pay will be a little more than -17K.

on the contrary, on top of hte standard discounts, you should and must ask for more giveaways because the car price includes 1 year road tax paid by the dealer, but with ROPC, they paid $500 less for you. so ask for more things, not less than normal plate.
For insurance package from the dealer(if u must take it from the dealer), make sure it is meant for OPC insurance, which should be cheaper.
thanks!

Additional question - Is it true that the dealers will offer additional discount if I take up loans with them, and I assume they need you to commit to a minimum loan tenure / amount to enjoy the discounts. Is this typically worthwhile to take up? Or better off with a loan elsewhere (e.g. through the bank)?
Old 21-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

thanks!

Additional question - Is it true that the dealers will offer additional discount if I take up loans with them, and I assume they need you to commit to a minimum loan tenure / amount to enjoy the discounts. Is this typically worthwhile to take up? Or better off with a loan elsewhere (e.g. through the bank)?
I guess with most dealers, the price you see comes with minimum loans, except maybe Hyundai.
You can try to negotiate, and see who has upper hand.
For ur OPC question, if u don't want confusion, suggest buy the normal plate. Then go to LTA to convert it yourself to OPC. Little hassle but u have more control rather than dealing with the dealer.
warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #7

Went down to car showroom with fiancé and his friend. We are looking at normal plate and fiancé’s friend is looking at ROPC. SE provided us the same freebies.
Gen_9696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Then it is not a freebie. The cost of the freebie is already built into the selling price. Just makes you feel song that you get something "free".
koxinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #9

thanks!

You can run the numbers yourself. It's usually 1-1.5k discount for a min sum of 30-40k. So if you have cash, should take the min loan, then pay off once the lock in is over. You should gain overall, slightly

The SE gains loan commission so hit him for extra freebies when negotiating taking the loan
sigeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #10

Just tell them you want to buy it as an OPC when the SE talk to you.
OPC is worth it if you don't drive that often, or on weekends only.

I personally drive an OPC and am used to the restricted hours.
terence2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #11

Theres no diff in buying normal plate car or ropc car.

Jus tell se u wan ropc will do.. they wun mark up or ask u pay extra for anything.. freebies wise, depends very much on ur nego skills.. otherwise, wat they give to normal car also same as ropc car.

If upfront tell SE, e car price will be less 17k.. if u buy normal n convert later at lta, lta will on rebate you every 6 months (if not wrong) only. I.e. u wun upfront receive e full amount.

hi all, could anyone enlighten the process for buying a car? If I am interested to purchase a car on ROPC, how would that work? I understand usually the dealer will bid the COE on your behalf, will going for a ROPC car change this process? Do we need to communicate this to the SE? Or is this more of a post-buying process where you convert to a red plate after purchase and then separately receive the rebate?
iceraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #12

Thanks guys, appreciate all the inputs.

Wondering if the covid situation puts more bargaining power on us buyers
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.