HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Looking for Recommendation - Civic, Mazda 6, Camry, Type R

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #31

go with your wife choice.. unless you want to be nagged.. ROFL!!
I support this, seriously

If you go for Type R, very hard to resist not getting more and more mods and spending more money. Also, it's a manual, smaller resale market. If your wife does not have class 3, she cannot use for errands either.
Kotorin likes this.
Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #32

I support this, seriously

If you go for Type R, very hard to resist not getting more and more mods and spending more money. Also, it's a manual, smaller resale market. If your wife does not have class 3, she cannot use for errands either.
Reasonable, I guess I'll hold off my temptation until, hopefully, I become more affluent in future.
Kotorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #33

Thank you all for your suggestions!

It looks like Mazda 6 has a higher chance here. One caveat is that there is a promotion going on with quite huge discount around 14k. Do you think it's worth it to rush it? According to the salesperson, the promo is ending soon by Thursday
Old 25-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #34

It looks like Mazda 6 has a higher chance here. One caveat is that there is a promotion going on with quite huge discount around 14k. Do you think it's worth it to rush it? According to the salesperson, the promo is ending soon by Thursday
PM
noobified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #35

hoot first talk later
Kotorin likes this.
HondaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #36
Master Member

they always use this promo ending soon to make people sign
take the order base on your own opinion
Kotorin likes this.
Old 25-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #37

Make sure you and your wife test drive first. Look at the features, especially those little quality of life ones which you liked in your past rentals. See have or not. Simple things like mirror autofold when parking etc.

Go home discuss. See whether comfortable or not with the timing. Then call back sales to squeeze more freebies. Say you are close to convincing your wife, and ask for more freebies to sweeten the deal. 1 bid guaranteed, confirm collect car in 2 weeks etc, upgrade HU.
Then go home think/discuss about it.

Do you need a car urgently? Are comfortable with the rush?
If not, even if this promotion end, might have other promotions later, esp during year end. Maybe better deal, maybe not so good. While CoE is on rising tend, also hard to say it won't suddenly drop.

Edit: Sorry, just in case you are taking this the wrong way, $15k discount right off the bat and 1.88% interest is a very good deal.
Kotorin likes this.

Last edited by Orphan; 25-02-2019 at 02:20 PM..
Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #38

Make sure you and your wife test drive first. Look at the features, especially those little quality of life ones which you liked in your past rentals. See have or not. Simple things like mirror autofold when parking etc.

Go home discuss. See whether comfortable or not with the timing. Then call back sales to squeeze more freebies. Say you are close to convincing your wife, and ask for more freebies to sweeten the deal. 1 bid guaranteed, confirm collect car in 2 weeks etc, upgrade HU.
Then go home think/discuss about it.

Do you need a car urgently? Are comfortable with the rush?
If not, even if this promotion end, might have other promotions later, esp during year end. Maybe better deal, maybe not so good. While CoE is on rising tend, also hard to say it won't suddenly drop.

Edit: Sorry, just in case you are taking this the wrong way, $15k discount right off the bat and 1.88% interest is a very good deal.
Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation. I can make it into a checklist for us.
Old 26-02-2019, 02:14 AM   #39

Just discovered the new Peugeot 508 and man that car looks great both inside and out. I'm feeling like it better than the Civic now.

It almost feel like a Mustang. And that interior. Never felt liking a French car this much.
Old 26-02-2019, 02:14 AM   #40

Old 26-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #41

Yolo . CTR, the rest can wait till you get older. Enjoy the adrenaline rush of driving this manual beast. I been driving manual for many years. Im not bothered by the SG traffic during peak hours or jam at JB. Too used to it.

Sent from Wonderland using GAGT
lurker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #42
Master Member

Just discovered the new Peugeot 508 and man that car looks great both inside and out. I'm feeling like it better than the Civic now.

It almost feel like a Mustang. And that interior. Never felt liking a French car this much.
Did u look at other conti brands too if this appeals to u? Might as well look at A class, 1 Series or A3 too or even Skoda.
Kotorin likes this.
mel1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #43

go with your wife choice.. unless you want to be nagged.. ROFL!!
Agreed.

I had this issue too with all my previous cars until i bought my wife her own car.

Lol
Kotorin likes this.
MinorSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #44

29 year old. 1.5 yr driving.
so in that blood. CTR will be a good choice.
till u get older like 40 when the ctr scrap or pass down.
then u can start uncle like me.

Just a little bit of mod. keep it as long the 300-350bhp range.
put a rubber stiffer on the spring.
can drive like a sheep on the grass
or wolves in the wilds.

by the ex few car u drove. this is going to be a memory in your life.

Just my thought.
Kotorin likes this.
Sainterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #45

I'm a first-timer buyer so I'm a total novice. I'd like to seek some advice from fellow forumers.

I'm looking at the following models:

1. Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo ($117,999):
My favorite exterior design among all and it was love at first sight. I've never been a fan of Civic look until this model came out.

2. Civic Type R ($184,999):
Similar as the normal but with wilder look and, of course, horsepower. If I own this, will definitely do some track days at Sepang.

3. Mazda 6 2.5 Premium ($144,800, Promo Price $129,800, promo interest: 1.88%):
I'm no big fan of the design but wife likes it. I've heard good words about it on international forums but the user ratings on sgcarmart seems very low (maybe due to small sample size). The current promotion looks incredible and according to the sales person, it will end after Feb.

4. Camry 2.0 ($143,900): Least favorite exterior for both my wife and me. But as far as I know, a Toyota should be a safe buy so I put one model here.

I think we can afford all these options although the Type R will eat into our savings a bit more. And I'm 29 yo with 1.5 yrs license age. We don't have kids or parents to drive around with.

My wife values these aspects in decreasing order of importance, it would be great if you could comment on these axes.
1. Ease of selling as in how fast we can sell it at a good price point (we will probably sell it after 5/6 years)
2. Depreciation as a percentage of the selling price.
3. Exterior look and feel
4. Durability
4. Comfortability
5. Long-term costs - maintenance, insurance, fuel efficiency

My current preference purely based on exterior design is:
1. Mazda 6 (wife factor, and the promotion looks really attractive)
2. Civic Type R (this can be 1st if resellability is as good as Mazda 6)
3. Civic
4. Camry

Thank you in advance!
You first time buyer and 29yo and Type-R is in your list ?
Wah taking YOLO to the next level man ......
iduncheckmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.