HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is it possible to appeal speeding fine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
Supremacy Member

This is the 1st draft of my appeal letter.

What do you guys think?

Dear LTA,

On 22 Mar 2020, 3.36pm, I was driving along Seletar Link. I accidentally exceeded the speed limit of the road by 1-20km/h.

The reason that I exceeded the speed limit was because I was unfamiliar with the area as it was my first time driving there.

This lesson has left a strong impression in my mind. I have been driving with additional care ever since and will continue into the future.

Prior to this, I have always driven very carefully since the day I got my license. This is the first time that I made a traffic offence. I seek your leniency, which will I treasure immensely!

Thank you for considering my case!

Sincerely,
My Name
Since appealing is free-of-charge, why not?

———-
Dear Officer,

On 22 Mar 2020, 3.36pm, I was driving along Seletar Link which has a speed limit of 60 km/h. I exceeded this speed limit by 1-20km/h.

I exceeded the speed limit of Seletar Link due to an honest but mistaken belief that I was still on the Tampines Expressway which has a speed limit of 90 km/h.

While this is no excuse for exceeding the speed limit, I appeal for leniency as this is my first traffic offence. I will be more attentive to the various speed limits that have been put in place for the safety of all road users. Thank you.

Sincerely,
My Name
edwinttt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #17
High Supremacy Member

Since appealing is free-of-charge, why not?

———-
Dear Officer,

On 22 Mar 2020, 3.36pm, I was driving along Seletar Link which has a speed limit of 60 km/h. I exceeded this speed limit by 1-20km/h.

I exceeded the speed limit of Seletar Link due to an honest but mistaken belief that I was still on the Tampines Expressway which has a speed limit of 90 km/h.

While this is no excuse for exceeding the speed limit, I appeal for leniency as this is my first traffic offence. I will be more attentive to the various speed limits that have been put in place for the safety of all road users. Thank you.

Sincerely,
My Name
Why the need to state unnecessary stuff which is what they have stated in the letter???

If it is honest and mistaken belief, then why not just accept the penalty and learn from it lor.
Old 18-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

Why the need to state unnecessary stuff which is what they have stated in the letter???

If it is honest and mistaken belief, then why not just accept the penalty and learn from it lor.
To have impact that the offender is aware of the offence, instead of relying on reference numbers.

Why must accept penalty and learn when appealing is free-of-charge?
Old 18-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
High Supremacy Member

To have impact that the offender is aware of the offence, instead of relying on reference numbers.

Why must accept penalty and learn when appealing is free-of-charge?
then might be a good idea to include a snippet of the letter sent

am just saying the reason is like waiting for them to say u can learn your mistake by accepting the penalty.
Old 18-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

then might be a good idea to include a snippet of the letter sent

am just saying the reason is like waiting for them to say u can learn your mistake by accepting the penalty.
Can just include the Reference/Report Number.

True, can just accept and move on. I’m just re-drafting the offender’s appeal.
Old 18-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #21
Master Member

Is there such a thing as accidentally here?
WWH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #22
Supremacy Member

For speeding and beat red light, very difficult to win appeal nowadays. Especially u break the law.
itedino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #23
High Supremacy Member

probably not. hence is just appeal for the sake for appealing since is free lor.
Old 19-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

Yes, there is.

But rather than categorically stating, “I accidentally exceeded the speed limit due to (whatever reason)”, the better way is to let the reader decide after reading.
Old 19-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

Yes, there is.

But rather than categorically stating, “I accidentally exceeded the speed limit due to (whatever reason)”, the better way is to let the reader decide after reading.
Wouldn’t it be better to just state facts and apologise and ask for leniency rather than give any reasons? Cause no reasons other than medical reason got any use?
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #26
High Supremacy Member

Just accept the fine and demerit points.

It's horrible to state you are new to the road coz the rule is...

50 km/h if you don't see any other speed limit sign. If you are not sure, just drive at 50. (This is the theory)

They will only waive for real emergency. For first timer, usually a warning. Don't try anything funny.
kebinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

Wouldn’t it be better to just state facts and apologise and ask for leniency rather than give any reasons? Cause no reasons other than medical reason got any use?
Since the offender wished to appeal, the appeal must at least be compelling.
Old 19-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #28
High Supremacy Member

Since the offender wished to appeal, the appeal must at least be compelling.
If we are talking about compelling here, nothing other than medical emergencies is considered compelling no?
Old 19-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

If we are talking about compelling here, nothing other than medical emergencies is considered compelling no?
Absolutely.
With equal force, an appeal on medical grounds written uncompellingly may be rejected.
Old 19-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #30
High Supremacy Member

Absolutely.
With equal force, an appeal on medical grounds written uncompellingly may be rejected.
of course, as they said medical emergencies is the "gate" for it to even be considered, but not necessary mean it will be successful.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.