HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Private settlements: report to insurance or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Private settlements: report to insurance or not?

I recently got into a minor accident, and already privately settled with agreement over WhatsApp message that case closed and no more further damages to be compensated.

Question is, I received differing opinions on whether to raise the accident with the insurance company or not. What's the downside (if any) of either options?
Droicut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Private settlement use hard copy, don’t depend on Whatsapp for agreement

https://www.income.com.sg/kcassets/d...nts-092019.pdf

If you decide not to claim , and he claim against you then 🤷*♂️
Eighty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
Master Member

I recently got into a minor accident, and already privately settled with agreement over WhatsApp message that case closed and no more further damages to be compensated.

Question is, I received differing opinions on whether to raise the accident with the insurance company or not. What's the downside (if any) of either options?
Even is a private settlement. To cover yourself, please proceed to make a report to the insurance coy. This is to cover yourself.
Is not that difficult to make a report. Spend a few hours just to prevent the other party later decided to make a claim against you.
I was in that situation before. Suck thumb! Learnt my lesson from that incident on wards.
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

I just got a minor accident two days ago~ the other car hit my rear bumper when I was stationary at red light~ I went to workshop the next day to survey the cost~ long story short, we agreed to private settle~

I prepared the private settlement form, fill in all the info for her~ she signed, fund transfer, then I digital sign, email her back~ we closed the case on the second day~

Use 2nd page form for cash settlement~
https://www.sgcarmart.com/pdf/accide...tial-forms.pdf
sunsetbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

My recent accident also I did private settlement with the driver which bang my rear boot when I was stationery which then we settled over whatsapp too when he pay fully for the repair fee. But most important u have videos and photos showing front and back that u were totally in favour on the case. Of course like the rest mention best if have black and white on the spot on that day when the accident happen.

If ur accident is those 60/40 kind, is better to report the accident to play safe even u guys decided to do private settlement.

Last edited by JX1983; 26-07-2020 at 03:33 PM..
JX1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #6

V hard to say. Dep yr luck. S insurers mentioned, all accidents minor or major even priv settled signed hardcopy softcopy, also nd to report. If the other party chao kuan disiao report tis case (even is other party fault), yr ncd mayb affected cos u did nt report within 24hrs.

But still hav to c situations. Look at the other party patt. If he/she nt the steady type better report play safe.
sporeknight76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

In this case, it was 100% my fault. Even my workshop say the amount he ask for is considered "cheap", ask

Also it's not private vehicle, it's a lorry. Don't know if report liao will stir even bigger or not, which I'm not quite in the mood for also. That's why I'm abit conflicted on what to do cause my friends kena horror stories from buey steady drivers.

Edit; the lorry driver seems quite steady (but some things you really don't know), but also I suspect he not intending to fix the damage also.

Last edited by Droicut; 26-07-2020 at 06:47 PM..
Old 26-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #8

In this case, it was 100% my fault. Even my workshop say the amount he ask for is considered "cheap", ask

Also it's not private vehicle, it's a lorry. Don't know if report liao will stir even bigger or not, which I'm not quite in the mood for also. That's why I'm abit conflicted on what to do cause my friends kena horror stories from buey steady drivers.

Edit; the lorry driver seems quite steady (but some things you really don't know), but also I suspect he not intending to fix the damage also.
S long s signed priv settlement form, o nd wori the other party will claim more. But the thing is dono if the other party will go n report for record purpose. If he do, u mus report too.
sporeknight76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Small amount or small damage private lah.
Got taxi bang my rear I take $150 from him settle. Onwself polish away the paint.
elf108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #10

If he steady ask him to sign the private settlement form~ the lorry likely doesn't belong to him, his company may think otherwise and claim you when found out~

Whether he take the money to repair or not, that one is secondary~
sunsetbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

S long s signed priv settlement form, o nd wori the other party will claim more. But the thing is dono if the other party will go n report for record purpose. If he do, u mus report too.
The private settlement doesn't absolve me from the responsibility to report also correct? Meaning if I don't report, and he change his mind and report regardless of the form, I'll still get penalise by the insurer?
Old 26-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

The private settlement doesn't absolve me from the responsibility to report also correct? Meaning if I don't report, and he change his mind and report regardless of the form, I'll still get penalise by the insurer?
Insurers love to penalise their insured for things not done or not done correctly according to their terms and conditions. Don’t give them a chance to repudiate their liability by not reporting.

Report the private settlement in a timely manner.
Be safe, not sorry.

See also Accident with rental car
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...64-post42.html
edwinttt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
Master Member

Small amount or small damage private lah.
Got taxi bang my rear I take $150 from him settle. Onwself polish away the paint.
Depends on situation also lah. In your case, adv is you. You make the call.
Other factors: own car, new or old or rental.
myviowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
High Supremacy Member

By right still have to report. At the reporting center, they told me don't need. Well, remember to just report just for the sake of reporting ya.
kebinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
Supremacy Member

on a separate note, if the accident is reported to police, can private settlement still be carried out?
trailblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.