HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Screeching Sound after releasing parking brake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Screeching Sound after releasing parking brake

Hey friends

Wanted to ask you guys if you have a similar experience? I drive a Honda Odyssey that I bought in July 2019. Around 3 months in, this screeching sound started to occur.

It usually occurs within the first minute of releasing the parking brake and its fairly intermittent and sound like "ee-ee". After a while, it goes away. It even happens after 5 minutes of parking, but of course, the longer the duration parked, the longer and louder the sound.

Brought it to Kah Motors last year Dec for servicing, was told to be brake dust, had it removed, problem came back after driving for about 1.5k KM. Sent it back, and told its still brake dust. Was told both times, that its a common problem and all cars have this issue.

Going by that logic, every carpark I go to will have almost every car screeching after parking for a while.

Let me know how you guys solve the problem!

Thanks!
Rexxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #2

the sound only comes on when the car is moving? I've been having a similar problem, no idea what's the cause though
keywin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #3

Yeah, only happens when the car is moving! Neither do I.
Rexxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #4

Yeah, only happens when the car is moving! Neither do I.
Perhaps your brake rotor has warped. Check the rotors surface to verify or bring it for further inspection at another workshop.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ake-rotor-disc
andyhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
Master Member

u mean when u brake? or the sound comes when accelerating
Asure7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 12:28 AM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Should be alright as long as the brake works.

Seem to be brake dust/rust or the brake pads sticking to the rotor, that is probably fine.
After awhile it goes away because when the wheels are rotating the brake pad will scrape off the rust. The longer you are parked the more rust on the rotors, that's why it takes longer for the sound to go off.

Alternatively for cars with electronic parking brakes that does not release properly, this one definitely got to get it checked.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT

Last edited by lousydk; 16-02-2020 at 12:30 AM..
lousydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.