Sharing: gs automotive (for Hyundai new car)

z030005

Reaction score
I'm writing to share my experience of purchase a brand new Hyundai Avante (2019) from GS automative in early April 2019.

First of all, all contract and paperwork is with KOMOCO letter head one. Click here to see how it looks like.

There're freebies from Komoco and GS automotive:
1) from Komoco: soundproofing treatment, solar film, DVR (front and rear), and etc
2) from GS automotive:
2.1) magnetic shade,
2.2) additional 6 month road tax, and
2.3) SGD 218 cash
All these freebies is not reflected in any paperwork. I took a leap of faith and didn't insist.

Loan wise: I went for 30% down payment, interest rate is 2.18%.
Insurance wise: I went for the recommended one, it turns out to be SGD 1860 by AXA (My NCD is 0%, 35 years old male, married)

Car price is 71,999, COE was low at that time.

Timeline:
First down payment of SGD 3,000 on April 13, 2019
2nd down payment (just before COE bidding) of SGD 9,0000 on April 15, 2019
3d and final down payment (just before collecting car) of SGD 9,6000 on May 6, 2019
Car collection on May 10 ( I will touch on the freebies next)

Side note: There're some minor hiccup in the admin/ paperwork such that I have to drop by its showroom to sign something more than necessary, and the timing on when I should receive letter from LTA and financing institute.

Regard to freebies:
1) all freebies from Komoco is delivered with the car nicely
2) all freebies from GS automotive is not available during car collection. I took another leap of faith and agree to settle in later date.

However, 2 weeks later GS automotive sales person explain there's mistake/ misunderstanding on the freebies:
1) magnetic shade -> no problem
2) additional 6 month road tax is the included 6 month road tax
3) SGD 218 cash is only available for those taking 7 years loan.

As the sales person insists on his version of interpretation, I visit GS automotive Facebook to share our disagreement. To my surprise, the recommendation button (which I'm sure was on before) has been disabled, click here to learn how. At this point, I look at its Facebook rating of 4.9 with my eye rolling.

Last edited:

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear you like kenna "cheated"

Lesson learnt: Whatever agreed upon must be written on the purchasing agreement. Not verbally....
Salesperson mistakes becomes your disadvantage..... You did not bang table @ GS?
Keen to share this salesperson name so to avoid using him/her for brothers keen...

elf108

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
GS , good for those low or zero down payment. Earn the interest gao gao hence can give you some sweet $ rebate.

z030005

Reaction score
Sad to hear you like kenna "cheated"

Lesson learnt: Whatever agreed upon must be written on the purchasing agreement. Not verbally....
Salesperson mistakes becomes your disadvantage..... You did not bang table @ GS?
Keen to share this salesperson name so to avoid using him/her for brothers keen...

Just dropped by its showroom and settled with magnetic shade and additional 6 month road tax (finger crossed, to be verified on OneMotoring on June 10).

Can I do more to draw GS attention? Yes, but I didn't. I guess it's because
1) Nobody is senior enough to do something (like writing a company cheque or asking the sales person to pay) about the SGD 218
2) Creating a big scene (which senior people will come in) may help, but there'll be collateral damage. When i was there this afternoon, there was one sales person entertaining a family there, you can tell either the deal is closed or almost closed from their smile. I'm a mean person in work, but do I have to spoilt their day?

I won't share the name because I don't think it's about the particular sales person only. (I think) This is more about how company handle business (and mistake in business)

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just dropped by its showroom and settled with magnetic shade and additional 6 month road tax (finger crossed, to be verified on OneMotoring on June 10).

Can I do more to draw GS attention? Yes, but I didn't. I guess it's because
1) Nobody is senior enough to do something (like writing a company cheque or asking the sales person to pay) about the SGD 218
2) Creating a big scene (which senior people will come in) may help, but there'll be collateral damage. When i was there this afternoon, there was one sales person entertaining a family there, you can tell either the deal is closed or almost closed from their smile. I'm a mean person in work, but do I have to spoilt their day?

I won't share the name because I don't think it's about the particular sales person only. (I think) This is more about how company handle business (and mistake in business)

You get what you needed i think.... BTW, i am not sure the reason you deal with GS eventually and not get from Komoco. :s22:

Sejong

Reaction score
Like to highlight the 2nd agreement form u had mentioned. It’s solely the SE responsibility to fulfill wat was written & signed. Nothing to do with the PI or AD. Becoz not legal binding obligations but ethically as per SE’s character.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is like the mis-interpretation of the SE becomes the buyers disadvantage. At the end of the day, always get them written down is best for buyers to avoid this situation that TS had.
TS is kind enough not to make a fuss at the showroom.... face palm....

z030005

Reaction score
Is like the mis-interpretation of the SE becomes the buyers disadvantage. At the end of the day, always get them written down is best for buyers to avoid this situation that TS had.
TS is kind enough not to make a fuss at the showroom.... face palm....

I agree with your comment, I don't think it's cheating.

z030005

Reaction score
I think same price.

I visited Komoco a few time as well, it's more systematic in every way:
1) showroom interior
2) sales person dress code
3) sales tactic/ strategy (start from whether you have a car now, what's the car model? whether its COE is expiring?).
4) freebies or change from standard doesn't come easy.

Without any negotiation, GS automotive gave an option to be 2k cheaper by removing 3 years free servicing. After some negotiation, there's additional freebies.

I think it's the part that I don't have to negotiate much made me sign the contract.

z030005

Reaction score
Regard to the comment about having everything in contract (black and white), it's going to help but it's not as bullet-proof as you might think of, because
1) The contract is prepared by seller's lawyer with seller's interest prioritised/ considered
2) The deliverable (which is a car in this case) is not a standard item (like Apple iPhone XS 256GB in black), this is especially true for AD model because a BMW 1 series base model here in SG is almost uniquely for SG AD. For PI, the issue is on the uncertainty on which variant of BMW 1 series base model you will get. If the definition of the model you're purchasing is changed (especially for item that's not clearly defined like engine power, for example the onboard head unit comes with latest SG map with free update or not), there's nothing much you (and the local seller) can do.

Back to my case, I did ask for putting every freebies (from Komoco and GS) into contract but I didn't insist.

That's why I consider this incident as mis-communication or disagreement in interpretation, not cheating.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.