HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #16

Thanks. I will take a look at Tucson. The be fair I was looking at CRV and RAV4 as well before eliminating them for various reasons. The CX5 caught my attention. There is some novelty to the interior and exterior as well as the handling and ride. However, as a family car I am just concerned with the rear space. Particularly to fit in infant seat, rear facing. I am not keen on the eboxer though because you lose a spare tyre which is important for road trips in Msia.

Though is not politically and morally correct to say I am not worried about CO2 emission, I believe as an individual I have a negligible impact.
Correct me if i am wrong but the interior space is almost similar to the mazda 3. Basically a mazda 3 on stilts.

I currently own a mazda 3 with a rear facing childseat and boy it's pretty cramp for the front passenger since i have to shift the seat forward to allow the child seat to rotate. It's comfortable if it's just my wife, my kid and me. Anymore passengers and it is going to be cramp.

This is 1 of the main factor that drove me to change my car.
estoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #17

Correct me if i am wrong but the interior space is almost similar to the mazda 3. Basically a mazda 3 on stilts.

I currently own a mazda 3 with a rear facing childseat and boy it's pretty cramp for the front passenger since i have to shift the seat forward to allow the child seat to rotate. It's comfortable if it's just my wife, my kid and me. Anymore passengers and it is going to be cramp.

This is 1 of the main factor that drove me to change my car.
I suspect so. If another child is on the way, I can assure you, the rear space will be particularly challenging given your spouse will have to sit in between car seats. Any of those rear facing, or both, it will be an unpleasant ride. I almost cross the line for CX5 but this one thought keeps me on the sideline for this recent bid (anyway given where COE closed today, I will not make it with my bid in mind. Lol).
estoppel likes this.
crazythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:35 AM   #18

Nope CX5 is a lot more spacious than Mazda3. I have driven and being driven in a CX5 long distance couple of times, very comfortable. It was a 2.0, decent ride, but not to my liking because not torquey at all. Only test drove Mazda3 before and the rear space is really cramped. Mazda3’s roominess should be compared with CX3 I think.

Frankly, I think any car center rear seat will be cramped if there r 2 child seats. Perhaps need an Alphard to make it more desirable. Maybe Noah, Odyssey, Sharan will be ok too.

Last edited by evening; 09-07-2020 at 02:38 AM..
evening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

CX-5: small space of essentially a 4-seater. more luxury fitting. more engaging drive. 2.0L engine for such a small car attracts unnecessarily higher road tax.
CX-5 small?! I think you mistook it for the CX-3 issit?

Subaru has got better safety with eyesight, better handling with AWD, higher fuel consumption. Forester priced very competitive unless you're going for the e-boxer, which will help with fuel consumption.

CX-5 safety features comes with higher trims I think?

For child seat, rear facing is required when child is required when they are under 6 months, after that depend on weight and height you can transit to normal car seat. You may wanna invest in those which can adapt as they grow.

Forester in terms of price makes the better choice, but CX-5 has got a premium feel to it. Sometimes car ownership isn't just about better money sense, most important thing is your feel when you see and drive it. Just test both extensively and buy the one you like.
Conan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #20
High Supremacy Member

CX-5 is small, more of 4 seater in the segment it's competing, in the likes of RAV4, CRV, Forester. Middle rear seat is for a teenager sized person. I didn't mean CX-3, which is not in this comparison.
warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #21

CX-5 small?! I think you mistook it for the CX-3 issit?

Subaru has got better safety with eyesight, better handling with AWD, higher fuel consumption. Forester priced very competitive unless you're going for the e-boxer, which will help with fuel consumption.

CX-5 safety features comes with higher trims I think?

For child seat, rear facing is required when child is required when they are under 6 months, after that depend on weight and height you can transit to normal car seat. You may wanna invest in those which can adapt as they grow.

Forester in terms of price makes the better choice, but CX-5 has got a premium feel to it. Sometimes car ownership isn't just about better money sense, most important thing is your feel when you see and drive it. Just test both extensively and buy the one you like.
When I sat in the CX5 driver seat, i already like it. The test drive didnít disappoint and on the contrary is one of the torqueish drive I think. However, my spouse who sat at the back the entire time didnít like the rear space. Obviously I was carried away by thinking I am buying this for myself to drive and enjoy before she reminded me is for the babies. Common sense sunk in. I measure the distance and compare against the rear facing child seat, to make it work, the front passenger will be very uncomfortable.

I am going to test drive forester to get a sense. Watched YouTube review and so far so good. Agreed decent budget, however the OMV is so low. Pros and cons but I do like the large windows and larger space. I hope the drive will be positive. Then I can cross the line.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

Specs to specs, Mazda aces over forester.
m@maboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #23

When I sat in the CX5 driver seat, i already like it. The test drive didnít disappoint and on the contrary is one of the torqueish drive I think. However, my spouse who sat at the back the entire time didnít like the rear space. Obviously I was carried away by thinking I am buying this for myself to drive and enjoy before she reminded me is for the babies. Common sense sunk in. I measure the distance and compare against the rear facing child seat, to make it work, the front passenger will be very uncomfortable.

I am going to test drive forester to get a sense. Watched YouTube review and so far so good. Agreed decent budget, however the OMV is so low. Pros and cons but I do like the large windows and larger space. I hope the drive will be positive. Then I can cross the line.
Await your field report on forester test drive, please remember to share, thanks in advance.
Bloodboilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #24

Forester bigger and more spacious. Read doors open wide for mounting child seats.
Fuel consumption quite good for a SUV.
Safe and tall.

If kids still small, try the Skoda Karoq.
Safer.
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #25

why not consider MG HS? i am interested in HS.
givach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

So you haven't test drove the Forester. Give it a shot and see how you and your wife feels about it. Gotta give it to you treating your wife so well *thumbs up*

IMO I think your driving pleasure should still dictate the choice since you're the one who's gonna spend more time on the road after chauffeuring the kids and wife. But of course if your wife's gonna be upset for the next 10 years, it's not gonna work I think you need to double confirm if Forester comes with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto cause the website isn't very clear and doesn't indicate that it is compatible with either.

CX-5 top trim has got ventilated seats which is superb in our weather. Another thing to note is that CX-5 price had actually dropped alot, for the premium model, it was at $149k which makes the $128k look like a super good deal. If power is your thing, I think you can even get the 2.5L model but need to specially indent at much higher price.
Conan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #27
Master Member

But y no harrier or rav4????

Sent from Xiaomi MI A3 using GAGT
ktyandkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #28

So you haven't test drove the Forester. Give it a shot and see how you and your wife feels about it. Gotta give it to you treating your wife so well *thumbs up*

IMO I think your driving pleasure should still dictate the choice since you're the one who's gonna spend more time on the road after chauffeuring the kids and wife. But of course if your wife's gonna be upset for the next 10 years, it's not gonna work I think you need to double confirm if Forester comes with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto cause the website isn't very clear and doesn't indicate that it is compatible with either.

CX-5 top trim has got ventilated seats which is superb in our weather. Another thing to note is that CX-5 price had actually dropped alot, for the premium model, it was at $149k which makes the $128k look like a super good deal. If power is your thing, I think you can even get the 2.5L model but need to specially indent at much higher price.
Yeah. Canít imagine the nagging for 10 years every time we put in the car seat.

Indeed CX5 was at going below 120k on the July bid for premium. TKE no longer carry 2.5 model. CX5 top trim is still going at 15-18k pricier than Forester.

Forester 2020 comes with apple car play.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:06 AM   #29

But y no harrier or rav4????

Sent from Xiaomi MI A3 using GAGT
I tried rav4. Drive was ok. Power is good. Generous space. A tad bit disappointed with the interior for a new model. Looks like designed in the 80s. Very rugged and too much for my liking. Also the finishing with lots of basic plastic - a bit hard for me to commit.

In the showroom next to it was harrier. Only 10k pricier. No offense but it looks like a car for those in the 45s+. Not there yet. Watched some review - indeed is the best selling Toyota suv.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #30
Master Member

dunch waste time on teh Mazda.....of all teh jap cars their selling prices always higher compared to other brands wif similar omv...they want to keep their margins high....and teh cx5 is outgoing model soon...they want to clear teh old 2019 batch and sell teh facelift at 5k more soon...those buy sure stuck when new model comes around 2022
bwaysaikryptonite is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.